March 28, 2024, 07:39:15 AM

Author Topic: Primer For Convention Competitive Play.  (Read 8116 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Primer For Convention Competitive Play.
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »
Hello Mage Warriors, convention season is upon us so I thought I'd do a quick post to help you prepare for the various battles you may find yourself in.

1. Read the rule books. Simple sounding but you don't want to lose an important match over something stupud like not knowing how walls work or something. Yeah there's judged to help clarify but the better understanding you have the better. Don't want to pull out two cards thinking you understand how a situation works only to find out you wasted your planning phase right?

2. Practice your mage. Odds are you've chosen which mage you're going to use ahead of time. Read that mages stay card and strategies concerning them. There likely isn't a mage in existence that doesn't have a post or 10 about how to play them. Decide on what you want your book to be able to do, then go practice doing that. Always be ready to adjust as needed.

3. Read up on and practice against as much variety as you can. For example, Mind's Eye is making Force Masters scarier, it behooves you to fight one before a big event. Same with new mages like the Siren and Paladin. This will help you adapt on the fly against new opponents.

4. Practice grinding matches. I'm not gonna lie after 4 or 5 rounds of matches you're going to be mentally exhausted. Well guess what? Those last couple of rounds are what decide if you advance to the next tier or not! It ain't the time to run out of gas so practice fighting several matches back to back. Build endurance and mental stamina so hopefully you can outlast the scrub across the arena from you.

5. Keep up to date with what's new and what's coming out. Make sure you know whats legal for your event and prepare accordingly. Lost Grimoire changed the land scape for a lot of books, make sure you're familiar with it and can use it to your advantage. Academy Force Master releases soon as well so pay attention to spoilers. Don't get caught off guard by some card you've never seen "What do you mean Beast Masters can shoot lasers from their eyes now!?!?"
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:23:23 PM by silverclawgrizzly »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Primer For Convention Competitive Play.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:38:53 PM »
Hello Mage Warriors, convention season is upon us so I thought I'd do a quick post to help you prepare for the various battles you may find yourself in.

1. Read the rule books. Simple sounding but you don't want to lose an important match over something stupud like not knowing how walls work or something. Yeah there's judged to help clarify but the better understanding you have the better. Don't want to pull out two cards thinking you understand how a situation works only to find out you wasted your planning phase right?

2. Practice your mage. Odds are you've chosen which mage you're going to use ahead of time. Read that mages stay card and strategies concerning them. There likely isn't a mage in existence that doesn't have a post or 10 about how to play them. Decide on what you want your book to be able to do, then go practice doing that. Always be ready to adjust as needed.

3. Read up on and practice against as much variety as you can. For example, Mind's Eye is making Force Masters scarier, it behooves you to fight one before a big event. Same with new mages like the Siren and Paladin. This will help you adapt on the fly against new opponents.

4. Practice grinding matches. I'm not gonna lie after 4 or 5 rounds of matches you're going to be mentally exhausted. Well guess what? Those last couple of rounds are what decide if you advance to the next tier or not! It ain't the time to run out of gas so practice fighting several matches back to back. Build endurance and mental stamina so hopefully you can outlast the scrub across the arena from you.

5. Keep up to date with what's new and what's coming out. Make sure you know whats legal for your event and prepare accordingly. Lost Grimoire changed the land scape for a lot of books, make sure you're familiar with it and can use it to your advantage. Academy Force Master releases soon as well so pay attention to spoilers. Don't get caught off guard by some card you've never seen "What do you mean Beast Masters can shoot lasers from their eyes now!?!?"

Wait does that mean we'll be getting nature attack spells?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:01:20 PM »
he was being sarcastic to illustrate the need to know what is going on to avoid surprises for new abilities or spells in a tournament setting.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »
Thank you Zot.  ;D
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 03:41:50 PM »
he was being sarcastic to illustrate the need to know what is going on to avoid surprises for new abilities or spells in a tournament setting.

I figured that was also a likely possibility, but there was still a chance that he was being secretly jokingly serious. Someone had to ask. :P

I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 08:44:04 PM »
Pretty good post.

Im pretty well at 4)

Exhausted after playing 5 matches  :P

Nah i wanna play 5 more  ;D

Everything else - not to good.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

MrBubu

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 06:29:59 AM »

I figured that was also a likely possibility, but there was still a chance that he was being secretly jokingly serious. Someone had to ask. :P

"Somebody has to and nobody else will" - The Comet King - unsongbook.com

The nonexistence of Nature Attack spells became such a constant thing, that I sadly don't think we will get something other than burst of thrones anytime soon :(

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 08:01:11 AM »
nature already has attack spells. falcons, bears, raptors, cats and dogs...

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 11:19:16 AM »
"What do you mean Beast Masters can shoot lasers from their eyes now!?!?"

As if shooting lasers from the eyes is something fitting in nature school. Or into mage wars at all. Lol

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »
"What do you mean Beast Masters can shoot lasers from their eyes now!?!?"

As if shooting lasers from the eyes is something fitting in nature school. Or into mage wars at all. Lol

Wizards almost do that!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 11:36:04 AM »
I've always seen a wizards arcane zap as generic magic missle.

Taking my own advice and reading all rule books and errata again.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Primer For Convention Competitive Play.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 12:00:21 PM »

"Somebody has to and nobody else will" - The Comet King - unsongbook.com

The nonexistence of Nature Attack spells became such a constant thing, that I sadly don't think we will get something other than burst of thrones anytime soon :(

OMG you like Unsong too!? Have you seen the latest chapter? So epic. I love Scott Alexander's writing. He's also got a really cool blog called Slate Star Codex which covers a lot of stuff but is largely about rationality and psychiatry and statistics and stuff like that.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:05:43 PM by Sailor Vulcan »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »
Getting back on topic, how do those of you who enjoy competiting in big events prepare?

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »
ritual animal sacrifice    with pie.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:54:02 AM by zot »

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 01:29:06 AM »
Getting back on topic, how do those of you who enjoy competiting in big events prepare?

6 hours straight of Survivor - Eye of the Tiger