March 29, 2024, 07:45:39 AM

Author Topic: Can OCTGN work on a MacBook?  (Read 23632 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Re: Can OCTGN work on a MacBook?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 12:16:52 PM »
After talking with my father, I don't believe I will be able to play on OCTGN or play mage wars in general for at least a year and a half or more. I may be able to play 3-4 games a year but no more.
Thanks to all those who helped me through my coming to a close Mage Wars experience!
The Phoenix shall rise.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Can OCTGN work on a MacBook?
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 12:27:22 PM »
Btw, my computer is giving me a white and black screen when I start it up. That's the issue.

Is there no local library you can go to to play Mage Wars on their pcs? I used to see people playing video games on the local library's computers all the time back when I was in high school, and people still do that in college. And it's pretty easy and quick to download and install octgn, the Mage Wars module and the image packs once you know how. It only takes about a few min or so. Of course, I don't know if they had time limits for computer use there, some libraries do, I know the ones at my university don't have time limits for use.  I've actually become too dependent on my computer for everything worthwhile in my life and I've been spending way too much time cooped up in my apartment and not living my life outside it. And it's been interfering with my getting stuff done. So I recently decided to give my computer to a trusted friend for safe-keeping so that whenever I want to use a computer I will have to walk to the library to use one.

I made sure to email myself all of my spellbook files first though. :D

I forgot to email myself my save file for cave story though... :(
My brother has a surface, but I don't want to "steal" his device so I can play Mage Wars. :)

Is your local library within walking distance? Can your brother drive? If he can drive, then you should explain the situation to him, mention how long a game of Mage Wars takes to play, mention how important this is to you, then ask him if he's willing to drive you to the library some times so you can use the computers there. I bet that there's a chance that if he can drive but for some reason he cant drive you to the library, he might still be willing to let you use his computer as long as you're careful with it and don't eat or drink anything while using it and don't mess with any of his files. If he's not able to drive then have the same conversation with your parents instead. It's probably a good idea to ask them for advice about this anyways.

Am I correct in my assumption that if your Windows computer hadn't broken you would just continue using that instead of getting a mac?

Does your school have a library with mac computers in it where you can work on assignments that require a mac?

Don't be so ready to give up on your hobbies if you aren't sure it's actually necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Mac is required for school so we were going to buy it regardless of if my windows computer broke.

Okay. Now I'm really suspicious of that. What assignments could they possibly give you that require using a mac and can't be done on a pc? I mean, I'd expect that of a graphic design college, not a high school. That is completely unnecessary for them to require that.

Did the school say why they require you to *purchase expensive unnecessary extra equipment*? Because I bet the purpose of it is to make them look more prestigious--the picture of a classroom full of students using their own personal mac computers for their class which is (supposedly) hard enough to require this particular special technology in order to participate makes the school seem more impressive. It is a pure status signal if ever I saw one and it most likely has nothing to do with practicality or what's actually necessary to do well in the class.

I think you should find out why they have this requirement and if there's actually any good reasons for it besides stupid lies about the assignments requiring it. I guarantee you they are the ones who DESIGN the assignments like that. Or try to anyway. If they mark you down on an assignment for using windows media player instead of iTunes or something, that's unfair grading because they both play the same file types and also they can't make any significant difference in your grade for something that small.

Also find out if the school has a library with mac computers in it that you can use for assignments, and if they do just don't make the stupid purchase, requirements be damned. If you're already enrolled they're not going to kick you out because you didn't buy a mac.

I would recommend explaining the situation to your parents, explain how important this is to you and how you don't want to give up a hobby that you love if it isn't actually necessary to do well in your classes. I would also recommend showing this post to them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:31:27 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
What assignments could they possibly give you that require using a mac and can't be done on a pc? I mean, I'd expect that of a graphic design college, not a high school. That is completely unnecessary for them to require that.

Did the school say why they require you to *purchase expensive unnecessary extra equipment*? Because I bet the purpose of it is to make them look more prestigious--the picture of a classroom full of students using their own personal mac computers for their class which is (supposedly) hard enough to require this particular special technology in order to participate makes the school seem more impressive. It is a pure status signal if ever I saw one and it most likely has nothing to do with practicality or what's actually necessary to do well in the class.

+1. I'd even add that at university, many of my classmates had to find and search for different versions of the same software to be able to do their assigments on their macs. They always could manage but it takes some extra effort to find an alternative for specific software needed in uni (or things like OCTGN). Love it or hate it, but most software is designed for Windows.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:47:09 PM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »
What assignments could they possibly give you that require using a mac and can't be done on a pc? I mean, I'd expect that of a graphic design college, not a high school. That is completely unnecessary for them to require that.

+1. I'd even add that at university, many of my classmates had to find and search for different versions of the same software to be able to do their assigments on their macs. They always could manage but it takes some extra effort to find an alternative for specific software needed in uni (or things like OCTGN). Love it or hate it, but most software is designed for Windows.
While these are great ideas, it's not very likely I'm going to be allowed to go downtown to my school (which is an hour drive), get a PC, play OCTGN and come back home.
The solution would need to be something I can make use of at my home.
The Phoenix shall rise.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 05:55:56 PM »
buy a used older windows pc. you can probably get one for less than 100 that would suffice.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
buy a used older windows pc. you can probably get one for less than 100 that would suffice.
This might work, but I'd need to convince my parents to spend 100 dollers (or roughly that) to buy me a computer that only serves one purpose.
The Phoenix shall rise.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 08:09:41 PM »
it is a computer. it can be used for so much more than one game. it just may be alower than something newer.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
it is a computer. it can be used for so much more than one game. it just may be alower than something newer.
The issue is, I already have a chromebook that works. So why would my parents buy me a new computer for one purpose: OCTGN when I already have a computer that fully works?
Any thoughts on this are greatly apreciated.
It's not like anyone's going to donate the Windows PC to me. ;)
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 08:46:30 PM »
Does anyone think upload a picture of my computer's screen could help?
The Phoenix shall rise.

Parkdeck

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • time zone: utc +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
1. buy that macbook
2. install windows (besides osx)
3. boot windows
4. install octgn
5. get into the arena
where is the problem?

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
1. buy that macbook
3. boot windows
4. install octgn
5. get into the arena
where is the problem?

It costs extra to get an extra os doesn't it?

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »
1. buy that macbook
3. boot windows
4. install octgn
5. get into the arena
where is the problem?

It costs extra to get an extra os doesn't it?

It depends on the software.
Bootcamp or something like that should work.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:02:56 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »
It's also a giant pain in the ass to partition your OS and when I've tried, Windows has never run smoothly. If you find a method that is cheap and easy to run OCTGN on a Mac, please let me know as I'd love to get back onto OCTGN.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 01:53:42 PM »
It's also a giant pain in the ass to partition your OS and when I've tried, Windows has never run smoothly. If you find a method that is cheap and easy to run OCTGN on a Mac, please let me know as I'd love to get back onto OCTGN.
Well from what I've heard, you can choose what % of your hardrive goes to Mac and what goes to Windows. You also can choose which one to boot up in.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Parkdeck

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • time zone: utc +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 02:50:02 PM »
I ran windows on apple computers for years without any problems. Bootcamp lets you install it and provides all drivers. You just have to choose how much percent windows should be (you dont have to format the drive, bootcamp manages to maintain your osx plus data), bootcamp prepares the windows partition (format, UEFI and stuff), ive never had problems with that.
You can buy a Windows 7 Pro licence for 10$ and upgrade to Windows 10.
So you are 10$ and an afternoon of installations away from Mage Wars :)