April 20, 2024, 05:47:03 AM

Author Topic: Army Paladin!  (Read 5321 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Army Paladin!
« on: May 06, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »
So recently I've gotten some new insight into the paladin which can be found here: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=18114.msg84788#msg84788
As a result of this insight, I made a book!
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Army Paladin![/spellbookname]
[mage]A Paladin Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSA01]2 x Luminous Blast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSJ10]1 x Temple of Meraveran[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J23]1 x Temple of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ02]2 x Consecrated Ground[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01J02]1 x Ballista[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ06]1 x Pillar of Righteous Flame[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J08]1 x Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J12]1 x Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C22]1 x Knight of Westlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C02]2 x Asyran Cleric[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC16]2 x Light of Dawn[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRC07]1 x Meditating Monk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC20]1 x Noble Vanguard[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC04]1 x Cassiel, Shield of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRC04]1 x Ehren, Enduring Paladin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRC06]1 x Lowland Unicorn[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC14]1 x Knight of the Red Helm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRC10]1 x White Cloak Knight[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E36]2 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E32]2 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]2 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE05]1 x Eye for an Eye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01E03]1 x Critical Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]2 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]1 x Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE06]1 x Healing Madrigal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE03]1 x Healing Charm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE03]2 x Chant of Rage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE11]1 x Song of Love[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]1 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ13]1 x Sword of Radiance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q04]1 x Leather Chausses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ07]1 x Radiant Breastplate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q07]1 x Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ05]1 x Harshforge Plate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ01]2 x Champion's Gauntlets[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ11]1 x Signet of the Dawnbreaker[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ06]1 x Morning Star[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSI01]3 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI02]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI12]2 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI14]1 x Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI04]1 x Martyr's Restoration[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI03]1 x Lesser Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI07]1 x Smite[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]1 x Defend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I20]2 x Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRI05]1 x Remove Curse[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
So the basic concept of the book is to make a army! The 8 mana creatures are the backbone of the book although atm, I'm not really sure which ones to run.
The opener is still being figured out, but atm I'm opening with some type of cleric + a crystal. Or temple turn one if I feel safe or a turn two or three temple more likely.
Attacks:
I typically don't run many attack spells! Two blasts seem right for what I want to do and the acid ball is mainly for conjerations as I have a crit strike, two rusts, and a dissolve wand if need be.
Conjerations:
These are a pretty typical lineup as a paladin for me regardless of book. Merervaran is for supporting the army and the rest of it is pretty self explanatory. No banner is odd I admit and I'm thinking about adding it in.
Creatures: The big question mark right now! I'm liking the unicorn as cheap healing and an extra two dice. KOW is for upgrading a getting a generic heavy hitter if need be. Ehren is awesome especially when supported with regrowth!
Enchantments:
I'm running a LOT of multiples. This is so my buffs/debuffs stick around. Ballad of courage is one thing I'm looking at as well as fortified position. Chant of rage is AMAZING with paladin; use it to force your challenged to attack something else and gain valor! They also can't attack you (which can be achieved with song of love as well).
Equipment: Standered lineup for me. Cloak becasue fire HURTS and the wand bc why not? I'm debating between the mourning star vs a vorpal blade/faith healers staff, but the star does WORK!
Incatations: I typically run a LOT of these! Three dissolves and dispels is standerd for me and so is two minor heals and a heal (for paladin anyway.) Defend might be cut now that Angel is gone, but not too too sure yet.
Card considerations:
Ring of fire: Mainly bc i hate facing druids and it is great vs a plant death pit.
Ballad of courage: Great vs druids and positional control.
Hope you enjoy!
The Phoenix shall rise.

CurseofFeanor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Army Paladin!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 05:02:53 AM »
This seems like a solid deck. I am tinkering around with a similar strategy for a while now.
Sadly PvS is not out in Germany quite yet  :'(
Backofen to the cards.

Attackspells
Not much to say here. I personally like one Surging Wave and one Jet Stream in almost every deck to answer one creature with flying or defence really fast.

Conjurations
They all seem pretty solid.
I think the Banner is a must though. It helps to get two lvl 2 dudes fast to the enemy for only a quick action and 5 Mana against a defensive tactic or turn one to defend against a rush.
Although the Basilica might bei a consideration with the Sword, Light of Dawn and the Blast.

Creatures
This is what makes the deck shine. A bunch of lvl 2 creatures that can do anything. It is amazing how many versatile lesser creatures holy has gotten.
I would consider adding a Messenger of Bim-Shalla to burst heal Ehren if needed.
The Unicorn I do not like, because the body is bad and the one heal is meh. Instead I would prefer a Temple Semetry for the instant guard.

Entchantments
Here I like to mention Cassiel. She is what makes this deck even stronger. You can use her to get all these cheap defensive enchantments onto your army to make it even more durable. In this regard I would cut Rhino, Regrowth, Critical Stike and one Bear for cards like Iguana, Paladin's Valor, Asyra's Touch and Divine Reversal all of which Cassiel  can cast. Knight's Courage and Blessed Focus are awesome with multiple creatures too and super cheap mana and sbp wise.

Equipment
Nothing to add exept maybe leather boots^^

Incantations
Great toolbox, perhaps a Knockdown aganist flying and defenses. I would not run a Mage Wand and three Dissolve/Dispel. With Remove Curse and Purify I would lose at least one Dispel.

I hope this helps you refine your deck. It has great potential.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 07:18:55 AM »
You might look at the war school Incantations like Battle Fury, Flank Attack, and Whirling Strike. Paladin has cheap access to these and can really beef up a soldier build. Just imagine the Valor you could earn with one Whirling Strike using the Sword of Radiance.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 07:31:46 AM »
I have a few comments as well. Feel free to disagree :p

- I agree that you could use a few more war spells.
- A few more attack spells might be nice as well. I don't mean out of school per sé especially not with the ring.
- I think the mana crystal (and maybe even the monk) is an overkill. You already have the temple, clerics to boost that, cassiel and the monk.
- Personally I think the nature spells rock, but I don't know that many are worth the spellbookcost?
- Critical strike is 1 point and amazing. I'd add more.
- I've had success with song of love, but I don't know think it's worth it if you plan on having many creatures. It shines in buddy builds more I think. (Not played enough to be certain though)
- Without a forge (I don't think you need one) I don't think mage wand is worth it.
- I'd maybe add more paladin equipment. (boots, shield, extra plate ...) However, maybe you don't have enough mana and actions.
- Cassiel can remove curse for mana and it's also great for warlocks. So I'd add at least 2 more of those.

I'm interested in how it goes and how White cloak knight works in combination with aura's.  ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
I have a few comments as well. Feel free to disagree :p

- I agree that you could use a few more war spells.
- A few more attack spells might be nice as well. I don't mean out of school per sé especially not with the ring.
- I think the mana crystal (and maybe even the monk) is an overkill. You already have the temple, clerics to boost that, cassiel and the monk.
- Personally I think the nature spells rock, but I don't know that many are worth the spellbookcost?
- Critical strike is 1 point and amazing. I'd add more.
- I've had success with song of love, but I don't know think it's worth it if you plan on having many creatures. It shines in buddy builds more I think. (Not played enough to be certain though)
- Without a forge (I don't think you need one) I don't think mage wand is worth it.
- I'd maybe add more paladin equipment. (boots, shield, extra plate ...) However, maybe you don't have enough mana and actions.
- Cassiel can remove curse for mana and it's also great for warlocks. So I'd add at least 2 more of those.

I'm interested in how it goes and how White cloak knight works in combination with aura's.  ;)
Let's answer these one by one.
1. Whirling strike would be pretty good actually. Battle fury not so much as I think it's better on targets with piercing like brogan.
2. I've considered more attack spells, but in most games, I will have a weapon and wand equiped and use those most rounds.
3. The opener is still very much in flux. I've tried opening like Coshade's priest, but that doesnt work as well with Paladin due to the fact he wants to move and get into meele.
4. I included multiples mainly bc without double rhino, I can't really survive in meele. The two regrowths are for Ehren and myself. I think I have lifink in latest iteration as well although it may be cut.
5. Crit strike is amazing; but I find it better when you have few creatures since only one creature benefits from it. Hense the double rust.
6. Agreed I need to test it more.
7. I think mage wand is worth it bc of the fact that with gauntlets, nullify, and transfusion, it will take a really long time to get rid of it. It won't lost forever most likely, but long enough.
8. The boots are pretty good, I just never need them. And anchored can work against you. I like the holy armor over harshforge bc it can be defensive or offensive whereas harshforge can only be defensive.
9. I very well might add some more remove curses. Likely one although possiblely more.
The Phoenix shall rise.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »
Cool concept.  I really do like those low mana cost level one and two holy creatures!

Agree with Halewijn here you have over 30 pts of enchantments dedicated to out of school alone.  Nature is really strongly emphasized I would recommend more equipment focus for pally or holy school focus for those enchantment on your Mage or  creatures.  Even some war incantations are a nice replacement to boost up your troops.  I like the idea of battle fury too.  I also really like sneek attack and evade as well to really be able to swing on what you want. 
This would also save you on mana therfore being able to drop mana crystal. War Incantations are great because the mana investment is low and they can save you spellbook points as well.  That being said I really like Mage wand with the champion gauntlets.  I may remove one dispel or a dissolve because of the Mage wand potential. 

Also how fast do you want to be in the opponents face or use the auras?  I see this as a long game build. 

What spell do you like binding to the Mage wand Reddice?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 10:25:49 AM »
Thanks!
I like putting some sort of healing on the wand, but it depends on matchup.
This is a mid to late game book since you want as many creatures as possible to get benefits from the auras.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »
Despite likely being unable to play for some time, I think an early banner could be good followed by a temple. It incentives the opponent to come to me.
By early banner, I mean a build up banner.
The Phoenix shall rise.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 05:45:39 AM »
Thanks!
This is a mid to late game book since you want as many creatures as possible to get benefits from the auras.

If you are just using it as a healing wand have you considered replacing it for an in school Healing Wand?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 06:44:51 AM »
Thanks!

If you are just using it as a healing wand have you considered replacing it for an in school Healing Wand?
I'm pretty sure I have a healing wand.
Edit: Just so everyone knows, while I do run the staples in ALL books ((seeking) dispel, dissolve, teleport, some sort of healing etc), I don't actually just put cards in books becasue their staples. I perfer to look at what works well with a mage and how many copies of that can I fit it. So to respond to Cursed's comment about Jet Stream and Surging Wave, I honestly don't feel that their that good in Holy books simply bc you have Blast for dazes and stuns and knockdown wand (with paladin even better!), angels, griffins (?) ranged attackers, etc for flyers.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:20:38 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.