Mage Wars > Domination

Domination as start point for beginners?

(1/3) > >>

Kitarja:
Hello, I haven't played since some time, but I finally got some friends interested in the game and am thinking about to introduce them to Mage Wars with a team Domination game. Do you think this is possible, or is this too much? All are familiar with long and heavy games, but haven't played Mage Wars before.

Also I might need some help from you for spellbook suggestions. As I haven't played some time, I'm not as familiar with the spells anymore as a few years ago. Can you recommend good starting books that work in Domination? Do I need to include some spells from Domination to each of the mages spellbooks or could I just use the starting books of the different mages?

A lot of questions, hope someone can help me, would love to get back into the game :)

Zuberi:
The main problem with bringing in new players is overwhelming them. The ability to pick any spell in your spellbook requires you to KNOW what you have and what it all does. If you introduce them to the game in a full game of Arena or Domination with a full spell book, you're going to see them flipping through their spell book for extremely long periods of time, scratching their heads and wondering what is going on and what they should do.

I recommend using Apprentice Books. You can sit all four of you down to a single board, split it down the middle, and play two different Apprentice games side by side.

If you really want the team game, you can expand the Arena to 3x3 and combine Apprentice Mode with the team rules found in the Domination rulebook. Have teammates start in the same corner, opposite from the other team.

jacksmack:
zub +1

the last thing i would do when introducing this game would be to run a 2vs2.

Mystery:
I have good experience to have rather well devoloped books that give you a clear direction (blasting banker, heavy curses, fox swarm etc) and briefly explain the idea behind the deck instead of using the regular books which are not specialized and give to many options, while the developed books rather give answers for certain situations but follow a general theme/strat most of the time.

But of course depends on your player base.

Reddicediaries:

--- Quote from: Mystery on May 03, 2017, 10:15:17 AM ---I have good experience to have rather well devoloped books that give you a clear direction (blasting banker, heavy curses, fox swarm etc) and briefly explain the idea behind the deck instead of using the regular books which are not specialized and give to many options, while the developed books rather give answers for certain situations but follow a general theme/strat most of the time.

But of course depends on your player base.

--- End quote ---
Off topic, but Mystery, have you returned from hiding up in the mountains?!
Great to see you on man!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version