May 01, 2024, 12:42:32 PM

Author Topic: Time Gentlemen, Please!  (Read 8554 times)

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Time Gentlemen, Please!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 04:16:55 PM »
In my eyes realizing that time is working for you and using this knowledge as a strategie is absolutely a viable option to play and win a mage wars game.

Besides that I am not a huge fan of that progression that games tend to last longer and longer. But this is not a players problem, it is a design problem. Or better it is a problem for me with the design. I hardly find time to play games in my life, and the longer they last, the harder it gets.
I really hope future releases will add more cards to counter long-game mechanics. That would make the game more playable for me. I guess also that composition organizers would be happy, too.
I still love the game as it is by the way...

But as it is now, if it is a plan to win over time - go for it! It's part of the complexity of the game and has to be used :)

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 04:52:04 PM »
You could start playing domination more often. The additional mechanics there guarantee a faster game and you have all the stuff you know from vanilla MW included as well.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »
You could start playing domination more often. The additional mechanics there guarantee a faster game and you have all the stuff you know from vanilla MW included as well.

Hmmm. I can't help myself. I don't like domination that much..I can't even tell you why. Maybe its the artificial final of the game. Dead or alive is clean and simple :)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 06:56:16 PM »

Hmmm. I can't help myself. I don't like domination that much..I can't even tell you why. Maybe its the artificial final of the game. Dead or alive is clean and simple :)

Just agree in advance that if the winner does so through V'tar, that the winner may kill the loser.

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 12:29:02 AM »
ב"ה
Well, long time is an issue different from many rounds.
This is why I hate OCTGN. The games take forever, and people purposefully stall games out.

There is nothing on the line in those game. There is no prize, no reward other than an 'Atta Boy'.
Yes, planning phases that take 5 minutes are really long. On a real board a game that end on round 9-10 usually takes only about half an hour, and that's a good reason not to play on octagon. I usually play quickly, and planning phase for me rarely takes more than a minute, and I wait for my opponent most of the time anyway. So I totally understand your problem with octagon games just being way too slow, and that is also one of the reasons I don't play on octagon.
I believe the post here is about games that just take too many round, and a strategic delay in the number of rounds is definitely fine. In a tournament no one should play a sub-optimal move intentionally.
And I don't think people purposefully stall games out, it just takes them more time.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 09:16:57 AM »
In my eyes realizing that time is working for you and using this knowledge as a strategie is absolutely a viable option to play and win a mage wars game.

if it is a plan to win over time - go for it! It's part of the complexity of the game and has to be used :)

Completely agree with both!

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »
ב"ה
Now that the game was published on Keejchen's youtube channel, after watching it I must say that I didn't see any point in the game when Keejchen was supposed to be more offensive.

Drefan

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 12:27:47 AM »
The length of the game is not often the issue for me, the only issue is when people take an excessive amount of time in the planning phase.
Using 2-5min in the planning phase is ok, but when someone is constantly doing 10min in planning phases I just zone out. Nothing against those players but It's just too long for me and I start to lose focus in the game.

So basically long games are fine, they are usually action packed. However long games due to planning = the worst ones for me.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
Octagon user: Drefan