April 30, 2024, 10:49:48 AM

Author Topic: Goblin Builder  (Read 4885 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Goblin Builder
« on: April 21, 2017, 06:53:37 AM »
From a design standpoint, I don't understand why the [mwcard=FWC04] Goblin Builder[/mwcard] is treated so different from all other familiars.

In general all familiars have this in common :
- they generate mana
- can cast some type(s) of spells
- Can move before casting their spells
- can cast their spells as printed

When you look at the Goblin Builder you'll notice that he's nerfed in three instances compared to other familiars.

- He doesn't generate mana :

That's a handicap because you can't play channeling boosting spells or effects on him.
On the other hand he's the cheapest of the familiars at just 5 mana.
Naiya, Fellella and Sersyrix cost 12 mana for example and have to be in play 7 rounds to break even in cost with the Builder.
So having no channeling but being cheap to cast makes sense.

but

- He can't move before casting his spells :

All his spells are to be cast as Full Casts. Was this really necessary ? Were there indications that he otherwise could become overpowered ?
Why can Naiya, Fellella or sersyrix for example play their spells as quickspells ?
Aren't Curses, Enchantments, Fire Attack spells or water spells just as effective as Conjurations ?

- The range on his conjuration spells is reduced to 0-0 :

Was it really necessary to add this nerf as well on top of the other two ?
Even if he had to cast his conjurations as full casts, if his conjurations kept their printed range ( usually 0-1 ) he at least could take position in one of the Centre zones and potentially cast 5 conjurations in a row before having to move. This would make him a lot better already.

As he currently stands, he's a Familiar you'll hardly ever see in a game.

I can live with the no channeling as he's costed alright.
I can understand you'll want him to be in the same zone ( thus range 0-0 ) as conjurations are arguably stronger spells overall than enchantments or incantations or attack spells.
But at least allow him to cast them as Quick casts so he can move around and potentially do something every turn.

In his current state he just seems too slow for the early game, which is the part of the game where you'd want him most imo.

He could be used later in the game to cast an Armory, Altar of carnage or a second Ballista but overall his role would be very limited at this point, I guess.

So, my main question.
Is there anybody in the know here on why the Builder was nerfed the way he is ?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:15:03 AM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Builder
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 07:47:07 AM »
I wasn't on the PT team at the time so I cannot comment officially.

However I can see a game where you have a large number of these and they are all walling off parts of the arena at QC speed.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 08:38:27 AM »
However I can see a game where you have a large number of these and they are all walling off parts of the arena at QC speed.

I don't really see that as problematic. You'd be spending lots of mana on Builders and walls. Nothing that strikes fear in the opponent's heart ;)
Funny thing is, with the walls Extendable trait, this is one of the few things they might still be good at, even in their current state :)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 07:10:16 AM »
AW has been extremely careful when it comes to the warlords and their 'engine'.

It wouldn't take much to tip the warlords from balanced (or slightly under-performing) to overpowered.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 08:49:05 AM »

It wouldn't take much to tip the warlords from balanced (or slightly under-performing) to overpowered.

I would say the Warlord has some unique combination of conjurations that assist the Goblin Builder. This is likely part of why the familiar has no channeling. Other familiars only have a single source for mana. Consider Construction Yard and Altar of Carnage. Both of these can be mana generators for the Goblin Builder. So it is likely that the channeling was dropped from the Builder to balance these other sources.

I believe if you add the mana cost of Construction Yard and Goblin Builder you have 12 points which is the same as other Familiars. So the capability has been distributed into two spells making it cost more actions to have a Conjuration casting familiar.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »

The warlord has an engine? Well if it does it doesn't run very well. Needing to drop 20 Mana to get an engine going, and to have it all destroyed by a simple fire spell. Anytime I have attempted to use the barracks plus any of the outposts I've had little to no success because of the upfront investment puts you so far behind.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid