April 25, 2024, 05:32:52 AM

Author Topic: Buying Acadmey so I can use the cards in Arena  (Read 9100 times)

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Buying Acadmey so I can use the cards in Arena
« on: February 26, 2017, 02:44:39 PM »
I have noticed that there are some cards that would be great to use in Mage Wars arena and was wondering if people have bought Academy just to use in Mage Wars Arena.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Buying Acadmey so I can use the cards in Arena
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 02:56:23 PM »
I have noticed that there are some cards that would be great to use in Mage Wars arena and was wondering if people have bought Academy just to use in Mage Wars Arena.

Yes. And due to card counts, I got 2 copies of the core set and 2 of each expansion and haven't regretted it.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 01:43:04 AM »
Yes. Not every card is arena worthy but the cards that are, are worth the cost of the sets.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:05:59 AM »
Let's put it this way...

Last night I tried to build the Academy recommended spell books to play with a coworker this week.  Recall that I have 2 copies of each Academy product. Even so, I didn't have enough copies of the following, so I had to put placeholders in my Arena and Domination books:

- 2x Mana Worm (for a mana-denial Wizard creature swarm... yes, Academy makes this possible)
- Joined Strength (there's only 1 copy per Academy core set, and every Beastmaster should have one, imho)
- Giant Size (like a temporary Bear Strength + Bull Endurance/Restore but in the Arcane school)
- Shrink (useful for removing guards in Domination)
- Forked Lightning (was surprised by this because it isn't generally very good, but it is Sweeping, Ethereal, and has a chance to Stagger... which is especially efficient against a low-level swarm, which is common in Domination)
- Wychwood Faerie (very versatile, especially for a Domination Beastmaster, since she can also punch V'tar orbs)
- Tarraki, Thousand Bites (he's kind of broken in Domination, especially with Badger Frenzy)
- Slavorg, Fang of the First Moon (amazing "Plan B" for any Beastmaster swarm book)
- Leather Chausses (Duh! Nearly every Arena book needs this, and I hope they reprint it in an Arena set, or come out with an equally "necessary" equipment for Arena to fill your pants... slot...)

Note that I'm out of the following cards, too, but they weren't needed for Academy recommended starters:
- Arcane Ward (!)
- Packleader's Cowl (1 copy per Academy core set; great for almost any Beastmaster)
- Panther Stealth (like a cheap Mongoose Agility for level 1-2 creatures; amazing in Domination)
- Glancing Blow / Redirect / Divine Reversal - I may not be completely out of all of these at any given time, partly because they all serve similar purposes with slightly different flavours, but they're all very useful in many books and make several "Top Enchantments" lists for Arena.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »
It's much easier to switch cards in and out of spellbooks if you use deckboxes instead of binders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 07:13:14 AM »
I see, I guess the only thing that I am worried about is wasting money. I'm not interested in playing academy, all I have played is arena and that's what made me fall in love with the game.

I just remember looking through the academy spells and seeing spells that were pretty much better then dissolve and dispel but a lot cheaper. Do you think that this is a way to fix older cards?

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 07:43:01 AM »
I see, I guess the only thing that I am worried about is wasting money. I'm not interested in playing academy, all I have played is arena and that's what made me fall in love with the game.

I just remember looking through the academy spells and seeing spells that were pretty much better then dissolve and dispel but a lot cheaper. Do you think that this is a way to fix older cards?

First, as above, there are lots of cards in Academy expansions that are good in Arena. I'd be perfectly happy with my Academy "expansions" if I never played Academy. The fact that I've been playing Academy over lunch with work colleagues is a bonus!

Second, you can take a look at all these cards in the totally awesome fan-made unofficial spell book builder, here:
http://www.spellbookbuilder.com

Academy cards can be recognized in either fo a couple ways: (1) they always have the name of the school printed under the school symbol (e.g. where it tells you what level the spell is), and (2) this spell book builder allows you to choose what sets you "own," and if you turn off everything that isn't Academy, then choose to only show cards you "own," you'll see all the Academy spells.

Third, Disperse and Crumble are not "pretty much better" than Dispel and Dissolve, respectively. They each cost 2 mana less than their Arena core set counterparts, but they're also FULL actions to cast. These cards pretty much declare that a FULL action has the same value as a QUICK action + 2 mana. Another way to think about it is that Lesser Teleport, which costs 2 mana, allows you to "move" as your Quickcast, then take a Full action - rather than move for free, then have the ability to cast 2 Quick-action spells. Moving your Mage or other friendly creature is worth about 2 mana... so the value of a Full action is about 2 mana more than a Quick action. (Force Push costs 3, but there are a lot of things you can do with Force Push that you can't do with Lesser Teleport, such as (a) move an enemy creature, (b) push an enemy creature through a wall with the "passage attacks" trait, (c) push an enemy creature into a wall without the "passage attacks" trait, including an Arena wall, making it suffer a "wall bash" attack, etc. ... so you pay an extra mana for that flexibility)

tl/dr: Disperse/Crumble aren't "better" than Dispel/Dissolve - and in fact, I rarely include these Academy cards in my Arena books, because I'd rather have the ability to move + melee attack, or double-move, or cast another Full action spell (like a creature) than get the 2 mana discount for a Full action Disperse or Crumble, with very rare exceptions... e.g. Mages that don't move very often, but also don't have much use for their Full actions; that is, Mages that use a Spawnpoint (or don't need many creatures), do not engage in Melee combat, and do not use Meditation Amulet - which is pretty rare.

*edit* There is another difference with Crumble. Crumble targets the Equipment, not the Mage, as with Dissolve. This means that Crumble gets around Nullify. However, Crumble can still be (softly) countered by Armor Ward, Arcane Ward (on the Equipment itself), Harshforge Plate, Anvil Throne "Runes," and Champion's Gauntlets, and Crumble still requires that the Mage casting it has enough mana on hand to cast Dissolve, but then gets a reimbursement of 2 mana... so it isn't quite as good as requiring 2 less mana in the first place (whereas Disperse really costs 2 less to cast).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:56:41 AM by iNano78 »

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 08:47:04 AM »
I would say if you love arena you should try at least buying one academy set.  The cards are not better but open up more strategies to the different schools.  My recommendation purchase one of the mages you really like to play and start building using the cards in the set.  Academy card have a lot to offer in arena. 

Now there will be some cards in the set that maybe useless or not as mana efficient as others in arena.  Most of those cards tho are just a few of the creatures.  However there are some creatures that are totally useful in arena.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 05:25:45 AM »
I didn't notice that to cast those spells it would cost a full action. that is a big difference and a game changer. Thanks for all the info guys.

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 02:29:38 AM »
Literally the only reason I got academy.

I played some academy at first just to try it, but it just cannot compare to the real deal.

And many of the cards are very, very useful for supplementing your books in arena.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 12:05:07 PM »
Literally the only reason I got academy.

I played some academy at first just to try it, but it just cannot compare to the real deal.

And many of the cards are very, very useful for supplementing your books in arena.

"The real deal"? Academy is totally the real deal! You probably either just used the starter decks or didn't build your custom decks very well. Something about academy is that if you try to naively build your decks like an Arena player you will build bad decks without realizing it and these decks will not be that fun to play. If you want I can show you some of the Academy decks I've built and tested. Or maybe you should just watch the Gen Con academy tournament. You will be surprised at all the interesting strategies players will use which don't exist in Arena.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.