April 25, 2024, 09:27:42 AM

Author Topic: How to play the siren!  (Read 7938 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
How to play the siren!
« on: March 06, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »
She is Really tricky!
I'm trying to make a book that uses transfusion tricks to get the most out of songs while making a kilzone. The siren does not seem to have any good canadiites for ballad transfer her creatures die to easily. Thoughts?
The Phoenix shall rise.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: How to play the siren!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:52:24 PM »
I can unterstand you are inspired by this thread: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=17987.msg83102#new that has been posted earlier today, but maybe you should at least try to have some own thoughts to build a book around it before asking everybody for help.

Take your time. Take all songs and all Siren creatures and start playing the big puzzle. Then add equipment, terrain and so on.
I know it is comfortable to use tested solid books, but it is definitely worth the time creating yoir own from scratch! Only that way you can surprise with new ideas!

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 04:11:59 PM »
Well I actually have tried building several books and trashed all of them. I think the problem is siren is really flexible without excelling at one thing other than creature control. And all most of your songs are useless vs necro and imo you need fire or druid will wreck you as well.
The Phoenix shall rise.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »
I can unterstand you are inspired by this thread: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=17987.msg83102#new that has been posted earlier today, but maybe you should at least try to have some own thoughts to build a book around it before asking everybody for help.

Take your time. Take all songs and all Siren creatures and start playing the big puzzle. Then add equipment, terrain and so on.
I know it is comfortable to use tested solid books, but it is definitely worth the time creating yoir own from scratch! Only that way you can surprise with new ideas!

+1
Totally agree. Taking the time to work through all of the cards and disect each card for your book and how you want to use it gives you more confidence and book uniformity

Well I actually have tried building several books and trashed all of them. I think the problem is siren is really flexible without excelling at one thing other than creature control. And all most of your songs are useless vs necro and imo you need fire or druid will wreck you as well.

Try focusing on 1 concept and roll woth it instead of spreading your sbps over multiple ideas. And try throwing fire spells in, should be able to make it work since water attacks are at cost for siren.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Fabledforcemage

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 02:42:14 AM »
O built her 8 different times and she dies extremely fast her health and channeling does not fit her in school spell cost there is no real way to protect her

littlenog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 12:28:09 PM »
How do you protect a Siren?

- Put on armor call your your BIG creatures.

-Ballard is actually really good on the Siren herself.  Have your Gator or Kraken move in for the grapple the move it to your Siren.  She can extend the spell a very long time.

Health wise she has healing Mandrigal /sp and Terrian regen.   Regen 3 for 5 turns with Fermenta and it heals your other creatures.

I do think she needs mana so I stock a lot of channeling in my book with her.

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »
I like a goblin builder in a siren book to cast conjurations. He's a lot cheaper than naiga and can help setting up the killzone quite fast as shallow sea isn't magecast and he can put up walls as well. (and gravikor, the wreck, plant some manaflowers to get the economy rolling...)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 04:12:37 PM »
O built her 8 different times and she dies extremely fast her health and channeling does not fit her in school spell cost there is no real way to protect her

She effectively has built-in Regenerate 1, doesn't have a triple-cost school, and has cheap access to Water spells (which is one of the reasons the Wizard was nerfed)... So the question is whether or not that's enough to overcome the disadvantages of 30 life and 9 channeling.

She's definitely going to want lots of cheap Armor to protect that low life total, and Veteran's Belt might be a good way to go given she doesn't need Regrowth Belt / Wychwood Ironvine. And/or she wants to be very strong at controlling the board, which she's pretty good at (although arguably not quite as good as the Druid).

So far, in matches with/against her, the MVP's have been Sherean Leviathan (if legal), Water Elemental, Kraken, roughly in that order. So, yeah, big scary threats/protectors, rather than swarms of deptonnes or merrens or pirates. Not that deptonnes/merrens/pirates are inherently bad or can't win, but rather that she seems to generally need at least one of the 20+ mana creatures to protect her. Oh, and Naiya for action advantage and effectively +2 channeling most of the time. Naiya usually attracts a lot of attention, which also takes the heat off the Siren herself.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

steack

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • http://magewarsfr.forumactif.org/
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 04:06:57 AM »
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=17728.0

You can see my sirene of pestilence,  i has the same problem, it's very hard to build a  siren's spell book,

i don t like the conjuration spell book but , i ts very strong .

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »
So far, in matches with/against her, the MVP's have been Sherean Leviathan (if legal), Water Elemental, Kraken, roughly in that order. So, yeah, big scary threats/protectors, rather than swarms of deptonnes or merrens or pirates. Not that deptonnes/merrens/pirates are inherently bad or can't win, but rather that she seems to generally need at least one of the 20+ mana creatures to protect her. Oh, and Naiya for action advantage and effectively +2 channeling most of the time. Naiya usually attracts a lot of attention, which also takes the heat off the Siren herself.

Agreed - she's best with Naiya, a buddy or two and positional control, not as a swarm build. She's very like a Druid in my view - different options, but similar strategies and playstyles.

Swarm builds with her are not atrocious, but other mages do it better. Echo of the Depths is so-so, there's a lack of good group buffs, the pirates are good in a vacuum but lack synergy, etc.