April 27, 2024, 03:10:46 PM

Author Topic: Force Wave  (Read 5055 times)

Pyrion

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Force Wave
« on: March 13, 2017, 12:05:09 PM »
Hello everybody!

I'm not really sure how to interpret the phrase "All creatures in target zone are Pushed 1 zone away in the same direction".
Does it mean the complete opposit direction of my mages zone or is it also allowed to push the creatures "sideways"?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Force Wave
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 12:23:17 PM »
Force wave will only push all creatures 1 zone away, left right up or down, from your mage 1 zone further in that same direction to the next zone or into a wall.

This doffers from force push as it says can push whichever dorection you choose.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
If the Mage is South of the zone being targeted by [mwcard=FWI04]Force Wave[/mwcard], I've always assumed that the creatures get pushed North. But I can see the argument that pushing them East or West is also valid, as those adjacent zones are also further away (e.g. at Range 2 of your Mage) just as the zone to the North is.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »
push is always away from the caster unless otherwise specified (ie force push).

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 12:49:01 PM »
push is always away from the caster unless otherwise specified (ie force push).

Force Wave clearly states "away (from the caster)." The question is whether or not East and West are valid directions "away from the caster" who is located South of the zone containing the creatures to be pushed.

The same question can be applied to [mwcard=MW1A09]Jet Stream[/mwcard] and others. And in those cases, I've always thought "yes/yes/yes" to the East/North/West question. But for some reason I've always thought Force Wave was "no/yes/no." Now I'm starting to wonder if I've been wrong.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:51:21 PM by iNano78 »

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »
Push is always directly away from the caster this means that there is only ONE direction that push is legal.  That is, Directly as in Straight Line away from the origin of the spell (the caster).

The one exception to this rule is when you are diagonal and casting a range 2 spell.  In ONLY this case can you choose which direction is "Away" as you can't push across a corner.

So to answer the specific scenario, if your mage is south of the zone then you MUST push north: West/North/East is no/yes/no for ALL standard pushes.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
Push entry in the codex :

Push
A push effect always pushes the target one zone in the same direction as the line from the source to the target. (Note that some push effects will specifically override this: e.g. “push in a direction of your choice” or “push in a random direction”.) If this line is diagonal, the controller of the push effect can choose either of the two closest cardinal directions. If the target is in the same zone as the source then the controller can choose any of the four directions.

Example: The target is one zone east of the source. The push must be in the east direction.
Example: The target is one zone east and one zone north of the source (diagonal to the source). The Push can be in either the east or north directions (the source chooses).