April 29, 2024, 11:15:37 AM

Author Topic: Divine Divination - Priest  (Read 4763 times)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Divine Divination - Priest
« on: February 21, 2017, 12:13:03 PM »
Hey guys!

I just wanted to submit this book for a personal entry into the Library of White Spires! This book originated as Divine Life from a Arcane Duels episode against Lord of Winter. I've been taking a new approach since then and hope to explain it below!

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Divine Divination[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Priest Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSA01]2 x Luminous Blast[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J23]1 x Temple of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J08]1 x Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ05]1 x Malakai's Basilica[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ02]2 x Consecrated Ground[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ06]1 x Pillar of Righteous Flame[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J12]1 x Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWAPRC07]1 x Meditating Monk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C02]3 x Asyran Cleric[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRC08]1 x Temple Sentry[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC16]1 x Light of Dawn[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01C06]2 x Messenger of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC04]1 x Cassiel, Shield of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRC04]1 x Ehren, Enduring Paladin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC01]1 x Alandell, the Blue Knight[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C06]1 x Brogan Bloodstone[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSE05]1 x Eye for an Eye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE11]1 x Song of Love[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE03]1 x Chant of Rage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE09]1 x Life Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]1 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE08]1 x Knight's Courage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]2 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRE07]1 x Restore[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E17]1 x Force Orb[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E02]2 x Arcane Ward[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ07]1 x Radiant Breastplate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]1 x Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]2 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q10]1 x Wychwood Ironvine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRQ03]1 x Resplendent Bow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q27]1 x Dawnbreaker Ring[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I15]1 x Knockdown[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I12]1 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI03]1 x Lesser Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRI02]1 x Cure[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI04]1 x Martyr's Restoration[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI12]1 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI14]2 x Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I24]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI05]1 x Ignite[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRI05]1 x Remove Curse[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I20]1 x Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01I02]1 x Disperse[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI11]1 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I21]1 x Purge Magic[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01I01]2 x Crumble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI16]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Here is the plan.
Opening
T1 -> Meditating Monk, Mana Crystal
If they choose to rush or I suspect aggression by turn 3 I change my plan here, otherwise I follow this thorugh
T2 -> Cassiel, Hand of Bim
If I feel safe I could put down a TOA, but usually I don't until turn 3
T3 -> Temple of Asyra, Ehren, Pray with Cassiel, and remove damage with hand of Bim

General plan onwards ---> From here out I will get more clerics to ramp mana. If I feel like I will be pressured I will immediately switch gears and go for Brogan or Alandell while also going for a cheap removing of damage on Ehren.

I'll go through each category and explain my reasoning. These cards are not actually set in stone. Right now I have 4 variants that I'm testing out and I'm not sure which I like best. i won't go into detail fom every card, but will give a generalization on the category with explanations on specifics if needed.

Attack Spells
I tend to go light on the attack spells with this dude. Most of damage will be coming from the high level creatures. usually I take Surging Waves, but in a book like this there are a ton of ways to daze and stun. Not to mention Brogan is a beast and can kill most things with defense quickly.

Luminous Blast --> I started with 4 and slowly realized I liked punching things with my mage more. This big thing here is when I want to burst down something. In every game there is usually one creature I want to burst down so 2 Luminous Blasts should do. As an more utility use, against a rush the daze helps me survive.

Conjurations
This is a Temple book! Have some typical cards you would see in Priest. The big thing i have my eye on right now is Malakai's Basilica. It's usually coming out later in the game after I use my Messengers of Bim.

Temple of Asyra --> I will usually delay until turn 3 to cast this. The reason is a lot of players are prepared for a Temple and try to rush me turn 1 and 2 to snipe it down. Especially the Warlords  8) If I can get a solid foundation down and they decide to rush I can typically win by not casting the Temple at all and just focusing on high level hard casting summons.

Creatures
This is the meat of the damage output. Typically I will HA a Cleric or Light of Dawn. If it's late game and they focus them down then Messenger of Bim is a great choice as well! Few things to note here

Meditating Monk --> Used as an opener. This guy gives you flexibility early so if they rush you have a little more advantage against it. Ideally he is a non-zone exclusive 1sbp mana crystal and if the late game happens mana doesn't matter anymore and he just hits stuff.

[mwcard=MW1C02]Asyran Cleric[/mwcard] --> This dude has amazing stats for his mana cost. Nobody wants to attack him when he is an HA because 11 life 1 armor seems annoying to deal with. If you get 2- 4 dice 1 pierce attacks off then he easily payed for himself. Typically in the mid game he will just be healing my priest if he is not in position to attack.

Temple Sentry --> This guy is great if they attack into your temple zone. You spawn him out of the temple and he is on guard. I wouldn't HA him unless the circumstances are right.

Light of Dawn --> Can be switched out with White Cloak Knight, unsure which I want more

Messenger of Bim-Shalla--> This card combos well with the temple. If you summon them out of it during deployment you can get some unexpected healing that could clinch the match.

Enchantments

Song of Love --> This enchantment is deceptively powerful. Unlike [mwcard=FWE01]Charm[/mwcard], this card lets you attack the creature in love. Typically this is how I deal with Alandell, Leviathan, Bears, or other high level creatures.

Lifelink/Restore --> This card is awesome on any of the high level creatures. Because holy creatures typically have high armor and low life, this cards lets you have them survive longer to get more damage out. The main purpose of this book is to get damage on the enemy through your creatures, this card directly lets your creatures survive longer to get that damage out there. Also is decent for Ehren if you need healing in a pinch.

Knight's Courage/Bear Strength --> Knight Courage is an amazing card with these higher level dudes. The Bear Strength is used just to get more damage out. Typically I will put one on my mage and the other for Brogan or Ehren.

Force Orb --> This is a relic from the older book. It's used to counter rushes mainly or for late game if they want to hurl boulder you down. Combo this with dazing and you can usually make one attack spell moot.

Equipment
This is a pretty typical layout for me. I've been liking the Resplendent Bow against flyers, and when they dissolve that switching to mage wand knockdown. The Dragonscale is because fire is scary and this is totally needed to survive (especially since I do not run Surging Waves). The two Mage Wands are typically casted in a game. Since I have a lot of Incantations this is how I keep the toolbox open. longer.

Incantations

Knockdown --> Since I don't run surging waves I took one of these. It's great at dealing with FM. Use it with a Mage Wand and make sure to get dazes when you can. Also this card rocks vs flyers! If they are swarming flying, then mage wand it.

Purge Magic --> This is something I've been putting in every book. I might want to go up to Destroy magic honestly. Recently there have been a massive amount of awesome enchantments introduced to the game and getting value with this card can happen in more games then not. On a side note if you mage wand it on their initiative then use it at end QC, you can have initiative to QC a WOH so you don't lose your Purge Magic. Very useful if you think they have backups.

For anyone curious on the predecessor to this book --> http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=16079.msg58119#msg58119

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:26:51 AM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Divine Divination - Priest
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 12:30:09 PM »
Hi Coshade,

Great write-up.

I use the Monk-Crystal opening as well with my FM and have nothing but praise for it.

I also agree on Song of Love. Deceptively strong card. Can prevent an opposing big hitter from hitting your big hitter while you take him out.

A few questions/suggestions :

- I'd suggest to replace the Dragonscale Hauberk with an Elemental Cloak. You can wear the Cloak on top of your Breastplate for an additional armor , keep the Flame -2 bonus, gain an additional Lightning ( and Frost ;) ) -2 bonus and save 1 sbp.

- why spend 3 sbp's on an Ignite ?

- Healing Madrigal would be a great addition to this book.

- I miss a strong Flying unit like Crusader Griffin

- Mind's Eye could pose a problem currently.

Overall, nice aggressive book.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »
Thanks for the response Borg!

I know those evil Warlocks want you to believe fire and dark are the same, but fire is not triple for the Priest!

I love your suggestions - I will be changing out the Dragonscale Hauberk for the Elemental Cloak immediately! With all those people running Alandell nowadays it's a super nice way to mitigate some of the problems there.

Healing Madrigal is a great suggestion! I've been debating a lot about either that or Mending Wave since they both get more healing on average then their SBP counterpart. I might end up taking out a Heal for a Healing Madrigal as my Priest often is damaged along side one of the big creatures in the book.

So right now my two flyers are the messengers of Bim-Shalla. As an HA with the temple they can roll 5 dice pierce 1 as a late game option. I've been experimenting with Crusader Griffin or Ehren and so far like Ehren. I guess I could switch out a Light of Dawn and something else as well. It's a tough trade.

Right now Mind's Eye is a big concern for me. In general I need a practice partner to play a bunch of games with me so I can really hone on if there is an issue or not here. If there is, I might put in a divine intervention

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 03:23:00 AM »
I know those evil Warlocks want you to believe fire and dark are the same, but fire is not triple for the Priest!
Oops ... my mind must be going downhill :)

Right now Mind's Eye is a big concern for me. In general I need a practice partner to play a bunch of games with me so I can really hone on if there is an issue or not here. If there is, I might put in a divine intervention
I assume you meant Divine Might ? ;)
That's why I also suggested Crusader Griffin.
Sure, it's a bit of work but Crusader Griffin + ( Lion Savagery or Bear Strength ) + Divine Might = 7 Fast Flying ethereal dice which can take out Eyes in one blow on average. A 5 or 7 dice Fast Flyer in general is not a bad thing to have around anyway, just in case.
Messengers deal ethereal damage alright but even with a Bear Strength they just deal 4 damage which means it will take them two rounds on average to deal with an Eye. And they're not Fast.

A potential in-school counter to Alandell is Pacify, imo. Makes the opponent pay through the nose if he wants to max his attacks with him.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:29:26 AM by Borg »

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »
Hey Borg!

I really like your suggestion here. So here is what I'm thinking

Remove - Alandell
Add - Crusader Griffin, Divine Might, Divine Protection

I can BS the Griffin and get that sweet 7 dice like you suggested. I debated between Alandell and Brogan and decided that with Lifelink and Restore I should be able to keep him alive. I think Brogan has more adds more to the toolbox (although I miss that sweet stun). I could switch it out and remove the Divine Protection if I really think I need him.

What I really like about the Griffin over Alandell is that I can make him a HA. giving him 7 dice piercing 1 is really nice vs paying mana to buff Alandell in the long run.

The Divine Protection is because I wanted it in the book but never had the points. I could put that somewhere else, but the spell is just good in a lot of situations.

Thanks dude! This weekend i'll be playing a ton of games and I hope to see some Mind's Eyes books to get some practice.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »
What I really like about the Griffin over Alandell is that I can make him a HA. giving him 7 dice piercing 1 is really nice vs paying mana to buff Alandell in the long run.

And on top of that you would up his life total from 9 to 14, eliminating his only potential weak spot.

Removing Alandell would be a serious tactical change, though.
It all depends on whether you have the mana available to pump him up consistently or not.
If yes, I'd keep him and search for another solution.
If not, if he's too much of a strain on your mana, I think you do the right thing by removing him.
No reason to keep him around if you can't mana feed him consistently.

I hope to see some Mind's Eyes books to get some practice.

Please, allow me to plug mine in here ;)
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=17826.0
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:52:21 AM by Borg »

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 11:09:22 AM »
Dude! I've always respected your Forcemasters. I'll make that one this weekend and use it as a test standard.

Pritoos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »
I have a tendency to pop up spawnpoints the soonest possible, but reading this I can see the advantage of waiting to see what happens.

This concept could work in any holy build, as the temple seems so much vulnerable now to ballista and others...

Thanks for sharing!

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 03:33:10 PM »
Have you considered meraveran?
The Phoenix shall rise.