April 27, 2024, 06:23:49 AM

Author Topic: Johktari - does she really like hunting?  (Read 8789 times)

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Johktari - does she really like hunting?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
Sniped a little by Sharkbait, but I still think it's worth pointing this out:

I don't have enough data here to take a side, but I do want to point out that the argument of "When they see Johktari they will play their non-living" is a vote in favor of the Wounded Prey ability.  If you already cause your opponent to forego some of their spellbook just by placing your mage on the table it's a win.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 06:47:15 PM »
I've recently built a Johktari in tribute of my fiancee. I'll try to post it when I get home but I've put in some good work with it. I even won a recent tournament.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »
Yep love both beast masters. Agree with Sharkbait on a lot of his points.  Especially the longevity of some books being made to play longer games.  I have a few beast master books that can focus down longer game books.  beast masters have a lot of options with how big the nature school is and how much support you can produce with animal trait buffs.  Not to mention the recent additions from lost grimore which generously help  both beast masters play styles. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 09:59:47 PM »
One of the nice things I like about the Wounded Prey ability is that it can be moved to a different creature in a single round under the right circumstances. If you start a round with Wounded Prey on a creature and then kill that creature, you can place the Wounded Prey on another target that meets the requirement of the ability. This can happen anywhere in the Arena and is a nice aspect of Wounded Prey that is often overlooked.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:01:43 PM by wtcannonjr »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Pritoos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 11:37:16 AM »
Treasure discussion! Learning so much from your points of view, specially the different ones...

To avoid being misunderstood: I don´t think Wounded prey is a bad ability. It adds something, but it does only sometimes, and you cannot rely on it. That´s why I think it is not very good either.

I mean: i don´t like the idea of playing swarm everytime just because they benefit from wounded prey. You can find it unusable too many times.

I agree that simply modifying your rival´s play is an advantage, but nowadays many mages pay little for that, either with nonliving creatures, or small ones or whatever. I think this will go worse as long as the pool of creatures grows. Well, it´s an asset, but I think it´s not a huge one.

I do think something good of WP: in cases when, for whatever reason, your rival comes with a big living buddy, wou have a big asset for free. I mean: when creating the book, you may find yourself searching for reinforcments agains this or that particular build (metachoices). Well, against a very efficient strategy (Cervere, Grizzly, Alendell...) you have a very good tool in your very mage card. And you can find yourself against a rival that simply didnot think of an alternative.

In that case WP may shine, but unreliability puts her behind many other abilities, in my opinion.

That doesn´t mean I think Jokthari is a crap. For example, I consider +1 ranged far better than +1 melee, mainly because it is much more difficult to escape from.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:43:15 AM by Pritoos »