April 23, 2024, 11:40:21 AM

Author Topic: Next Expansion?  (Read 44308 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Next Expansion?
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2017, 09:17:02 AM »
A teaser on the Mage Wars official Facebook page suggests Academy Forcemaster and Warlord should pre-release at Origins and Gen Con, with card previews starting after the GAMA trade show.
https://www.facebook.com/MageWars/
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2017, 09:54:11 AM »
Nice link iNano78. Very very happy the time lines out there now. You know in case anyone was wondering what's legal for any large tournaments I'm judging later this year.... 8)
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2017, 12:49:42 PM »
so the Origins release will be legal, the GenCon Released set will not be legal at Gencon.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »
so the Origins release will be legal, the GenCon Released set will not be legal at Gencon.

Right you are Ray.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Iudicium86

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2017, 08:48:54 PM »
I so desperately hope the Warlord gets some good level 1 and 2 creatures. That will help out his barrack tactics for sure, while leaving more SBP room since currently, you have to go out of school, paying more SBP for good 1 and 2 soldier creatures.

As it stands, his only level 1 creatures are a tiny 4 health grunt, and a suicide bomber that can also be exploded by the enemy against you.
And only level 2 creature worth a damn is the Orc Butcher, otherwise the other two are ranged (slinger/alchemist)
Only at level 3+ does War have good creatures, but anyone can tell you how impossible it is to deploy & swarm every turn nothing but 3's and 4's.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »

I so desperately hope the Warlord gets some good level 1 and 2 creatures. That will help out his barrack tactics for sure, while leaving more SBP room since currently, you have to go out of school, paying more SBP for good 1 and 2 soldier creatures.

Every attempt I have tried with the barracks has ended in failure.  The startup costs in order to generate mana really set you back. you have to spend a minimum 20, to generate 3 a turn. You need to last past 7 rounds in order to break even.

I want a good goblin swarm book as bad as the next guy, but I just cant get the barracks to work.  I wish they would have released the Promo card "Tunnel" in a set, that would add to the incentive to play with the various outposts.

I will say that there are some nice level 1 and 2 creatures in the academy set. but I think that the barracks and other outposts are just too cost prohibitive. and I've had this discussion with other people who want the warlord to be really good, but the outposts are just really hard to work with.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »

Every attempt I have tried with the barracks has ended in failure.  The startup costs in order to generate mana really set you back. you have to spend a minimum 20, to generate 3 a turn. You need to last past 7 rounds in order to break even.

You can "break even" a lot earlier than turn 7 when you factor in the action advantage of summoning Full-cast creatures 2 or more spaces away from your Barracks - e.g. to your Garrison Posts. My main Warlord enemy friend often opens with Barracks + Garrison Post, then drops another Garrison Post, in a "V" pattern (Garrison posts out front; Barracks in the middle of the back wall). From there, he has 3 different zones from which he can deploy creatures, and can summon regular-speed (non-Slow, non-Fast) Soldier creatures such that they can attack any of 8 different zones on their first activation. That's pretty huge!

As I often say, "Bloodwave Warlord is really good in multiplayer Domination." I fear that if the Warlord were any stronger, he'd be too good in Domination! I suspect he'll easily be the number 1 contender in Domination when Academy Warlord arrives.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »
@ V10lentray -- I would try holding off casting Barracks until turn 2 or 3. This lets you see if it's safe or not to use the Barracks play or cast a higher level creature.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Iudicium86

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2017, 04:25:12 PM »

You can "break even" a lot earlier than turn 7 when you factor in the action advantage of summoning Full-cast creatures 2 or more spaces away from your Barracks - e.g. to your Garrison Posts. My main Warlord enemy friend often opens with Barracks + Garrison Post, then drops another Garrison Post, in a "V" pattern (Garrison posts out front; Barracks in the middle of the back wall). From there, he has 3 different zones from which he can deploy creatures, and can summon regular-speed (non-Slow, non-Fast) Soldier creatures such that they can attack any of 8 different zones on their first activation. That's pretty huge!

As I often say, "Bloodwave Warlord is really good in multiplayer Domination." I fear that if the Warlord were any stronger, he'd be too good in Domination! I suspect he'll easily be the number 1 contender in Domination when Academy Warlord arrives.

Yeah, I believe the cost isn't as huge a deterrent when you consider the action advantage. I do like summoning creatures with choice of placement, while keeping my own Mage's actions free to use, which is often a Meditation Amulet or Ivarium Longbow.

And I just wish I could go into freeze/stasis and be woken when Warlord Academy arrives! I need it now!
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Santar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2017, 09:24:48 AM »

Mb some creatures with dissipate tokens for FM?

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
looks rad

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2017, 10:52:23 AM »

Mb some creatures with dissipate tokens for FM?

Where did you find those pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2017, 01:10:16 PM »
I'm honestly more excited about these sets than I was PvS.

Santar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »
Google- mage wars art and near 2 hours looking.

I'm very exciting about this set!

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »
More for the Force Master or Warlord?