April 29, 2024, 04:01:32 AM

Author Topic: Favorite way to deal with Beastmaster  (Read 7932 times)

Nikoli Ranvier

Favorite way to deal with Beastmaster
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:59:22 AM »
The Beastmaster is an incredible foe with his rush of creatures, but I find that the best way to combat this is to slow movement and then position the weaker creatures in a way so that you have line of sight to them all. The cards to use for this will be a poison gas cloud (for the slow) and then in a turn use a force push (force creature where you want him) and then cast a chain lightning and let it bounce through all of those weak creatures. Have fun out there.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite way to deal with Beastmaster
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »
Nice!  That's a great idea.

Damage Barriers work well too.  The Circle of Lightning spell will electrocute each creature who attacks you, damaging, Dazing,and Stunning them.  It works best against a rush of creatures.

Zone attacks like Firestorm, Blinding Flash, and Electrify are good choices too. The Beastmaster will think twice before stacking too many creatures in the same zone!

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 01:05:01 PM »
i havent played but i look forward to trying Mordok's Obelisk against that strategy
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
Another thing I would recommend is using walls to restrict movement. Walls that have a lower Armor and or health often can be passed through but they attack anything that moves through them. While Stronger wall tend to cost more and are harder to get past because often these can not be passed through. I included a pic for Wall of Fire with some extra info added on.
[spoiler][attachment=3]WallofFire.jpg[/attachment][/spoiler]
So choose what walls you use against a rush wisely. I tend to like Wall of Thrones for anything at level 2 or higher. It it one of the cheapest walls and it still has good stats vs non-fire schools like the Beastmaster.  Another fun trick is to put Traps at the end of a route you block off with walls or use archers to create a kind of kill box. Funnel the force down and try to pick off the weaker targets.

Mordok's Obelisk
[spoiler][attachment=2]MordoksObelisk.jpg[/attachment][/spoiler]
So people know what it does.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »
Another way to deal with him is to summon one huge creature. Someone that when buffed up can do 6-7 damage a turn. The beastmaster's creatures when swarmed are generally pretty weak. So you send your giant creature to attack (and nearly destroy) one of them per turn. While your Beastmaster is spending all his mana trying to keep the rush up, you're killing them as fast as they are summoned. Generally this means you'll be able to get the mana advantage. The thing with the swarm is: if you stop summoning, you're dead.

Throw in some tangle vines to stop his creatures, or turn them to stone, and now his army isn't going anywhere. I personally prefer 1 giant creature to 4 weak ones.

Alec

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 03:49:47 PM »
In what I see, if you can habitually hinder a beast masters mana, you'll gain the upper hand. Bitter woods and bobcats are no challenge but the grizzly or Redclaw can be a challenge. I think if you limit the mana you have a great chance, and this is coming from someone who's played only BM so far.

Rumsey

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:57:05 AM »
One guy actually put some "Hand of Bim-Shalla" temples in his Beastmaster deck.  I didn't even think about it, but it is very useful and can be used directly before an activation.

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:18:13 PM »
I was thinking of putting these in my Warlock Deck.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 09:34:11 AM »
Quote from: "Hedge" post=2615
I was thinking of putting these in my Warlock Deck.

I've been tempted to play these in EVERY deck.  They are that good and that cheap (both mana and spell book wise).  The only problem is the Zone Exclusive issue.   You can only have so much stuff like that out so you have to choose wisely.  But still...so tempting to include them in every build.

Talamare

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 12:20:38 AM »
Chain Lightning

and I have absolutely no problem chaining them off my hydra