March 28, 2024, 02:24:48 PM

Author Topic: Good Priestess Combo  (Read 5145 times)

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Good Priestess Combo
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:52:54 AM »
I've become a new fan of the following combination of cards:

Dawnbreaker Ring + Hawkeye + Pillar of Light (best if attached to a Wand)

This gives you a 2-square range, 4-dice attack with a VERY high chance to Daze or Stun the target. I'm very much loving this combo. It gives good board control and it doesn't cost much once it's set up. If you were playing against a super-aggressive player you could start throwing these on the 2nd turn if you felt pressured to control the board, a bit.

Thoughts?

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

Jon.Ambriz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Good Priestess Combo
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:42:09 PM »
That's a really great Priestess combo, especially early game. Though you'd have to be careful for counters like Reverse Attack and Block, since they'd cancel out or even turn your attack back on you. How would you go about dealing with spells like Dissolve or Dispel?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
That's a nice spell you have there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it.

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:25:43 AM »
Saying "you'd have to be careful for counters like Reverse Attack and Block..." is akin to saying "you should know what cards exist in this game." It applies to all instances of 1 mage targeting another mage.

If someone wants to spend magic to dissolve the wand then they aren't dissolving something else, which is fine by me. Dispel Hawkeye? It just weakens the effect of the spell. If my opponent wastes a Dispel on Hawkeye I've probably already won, since the Priestess lives and breathes powerful enchantments that make for much better targets.

Basically: If the opponent actually takes time out of his or her turn to try and mess with this then he or she is a bad player, because I should be playing much more antagonizing things than this in any given turn. This combination does not warrant attention from the opposing spellbook, and, if given, you are winning in another way. This combination is crowd control, because it's exactly the kind of thing a good player will not waste resources on trying to interrupt, and yet it gains you something in the game for a very small cost/setup time.

-nihil

EDIT: Upon re-reading this I think it looks kinda jerkish. I apologize, as that was not my intent. I'm not certain how to re-word it so as to not sound that way, though, so I am leaving the original message text intact. Just wanted to say that I'm not a jerk, and wasn't trying to be one. My basic premise above is that, yes, there are counters to just nearly everything in this game, but as far as pure theorycrafting goes, there are much more tantalizing targets for such counters than this particular combination of cards, which is exactly what makes it a good combination of cards, since this combination does not make a strategy, and can be cheaply included in any priestess spellbook as a simple little annoyance for the opponent that will likely stick around in the long game.
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

Rumsey

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:32:08 AM »
Would be even better if they made a spell or trait that increased condition rolls.  Tough is the reverse trait but nothing to boost (unless I've totally missed something).  Almost perfect lockdown.

the_iron_troll

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »
The only thing I've ever seen that boosted Effect rolls is Samandriel's bonus vs. Dark & Unliving creatures.