March 28, 2024, 01:33:16 PM

Author Topic: We need a section for Map Design and Construction!  (Read 6805 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
We need a section for Map Design and Construction!
« on: February 27, 2017, 10:28:12 AM »
Can we please have a section of the forums for Map Design and Constrution? Maybe divide it into Arena and Domination subsections. I think this would be very helpful.

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: We need a section for Map Design and Construction!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »
I second this motion.

All in favour, say "aye."

BigL16

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 12:27:53 PM »
Aye

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 12:36:20 PM »
Ill inquire about it. A map sharing section would rock
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:40:27 PM »

The "ayes" have it.

Here are a few (attached) that I came up with for "balanced" 3-way free-for-all Domination matches. We tried one ("V'tarrian Vault") but found that the terrain mostly didn't matter. That said, it resulted in our first ever "win by annihilation," so there's that. And then we tried another ("Lava and Pools and Pits, Oh My" but found that both Samandriel's Circle and Obscure Mist quickly got replaced by Shallow Seas, and that Altar of Oblivion can get cheaply replaced by any Conjuration - Terrain (e.g. Consecrated Ground), effectively turning it off... and that in general, the release of "Conjuration - Terrain" spells really nerfs the impact and usefulness of Domination terrain.

Has anybody else found this to be the case? Have you house-ruled that Domination terrain continues to function even if Conjuration - Terrain is placed in the same zone (which might make sense for the beneficial ones, but might be anti-thematic when there's Molten Rock in the same zone as your Shallow Sea, or a Spiked Pit or Corrosion Pool on your Steep Hill).

P.S.  Not all of these have been tested and some might be broken. e.g. In "Tee Time," P1 could move + extend a Wall of Earth to completely cut off P2  from the orbs, then QC extended Wall of Pikes to corner off P3 (assuming 20 starting mana). Similarly, in "Buried Secrets," whoever wins initiative could double-move to the Secret Passage space and extend a Wall to corner themselves, granting themselves exclusive access to the "underground" orbs + Altar of Oblivion... at least until the other two mages break through that wall and chase her down.

*edit* Actually, P1 could do something similar in "Lava and Pools and Pits, Oh My," and in "The Great Sacrifice," if P3 wins initiative, he could wall off both the other Mages without even needing to extend the walls!  Haha... OK, so, this is exactly why we need a map sharing sub-forum.  :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:59:46 PM by iNano78 »

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »
Alright guys!

I know this is not the first thread that has asked about domination! So thanks to the awesome Ash, we now have a Domination board!

I'm really excited to see what game boards are placed there and the spellbooks. Also I'm curious to see if you guys use any of the alternate rules in the rulebook, depending on the number of players or maps you are on.

Link to domination board ---> http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?board=104.0

Enjoy!!!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest