March 28, 2024, 03:53:01 PM

Author Topic: Whirlpool of Force  (Read 3172 times)

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Whirlpool of Force
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:38:07 AM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Whirlpool of Force[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Forcemaster Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA02]4 x Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSJ09]3 x Swamp[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ11]1 x Whirlpool[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ06]1 x Pillar of Righteous Flame[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1W01]2 x Wall of Force[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E16]2 x Force Hold[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE04]1 x Force Crush[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBD1E01]2 x Astral Anchor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E02]4 x Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E02]2 x Arcane Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E07]1 x Cobra Reflexes[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E17]1 x Force Orb[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E18]1 x Force Sword[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE10]4 x Lullaby[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWQ07]1 x Psi-Orb[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01Q01]1 x Chitin Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q07]1 x Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ07]1 x Veteran's Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ04]1 x Galvitar, Force Blade[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ01]1 x Dancing Scimitar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01Q05]1 x Spiked Buckler[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q15]1 x Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q16]1 x Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWI04]4 x Force Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI17]5 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI11]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]2 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI16]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I20]2 x Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRI05]2 x Remove Curse[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

So, I know this deck is not perfect yet. Suggestions on how to help finish the enemy mage?

For clarity's sake, the goal of the deck is to kill the enemy with Whirlpool + Pillar, in combination with whatever extra damage you can deal, using multiple means to restrain the enemy mage.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:57:31 AM by Milevan_Faent »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Whirlpool of Force
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:35:55 AM »
How quickly do you plan to pull it off? I guess there's no Battle Forge because you want to save mana (?), but I don't know if Whirlpool + Pillar + Force Crush, supported by Astral Anchors (which are protected by Arcane Wards?), is enough to kill the enemy mage. Personally I'd want to gear up first so I can hammer them with Galvitar attacks while they're trying to undo all the restraining/crushing stuff... but that means going for a mid-length match where you spend early rounds gearing up and saving mana before casting all those expensive conjurations and enchantments to help finish them off.

Kind of feels like a slower, more expensive Teleport Trap into Spiked Pit gimmick.  If/when it works, it's awesome, but it's tricky (and costly) to pull off.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:56:42 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 10:26:39 AM »
Thats 9 (swamp) + 12 (Whirlpool) = 21 for holding the enemy in place and 6 damage. Spiked pit for 7 with tanglevine and astral anchor seems more efficient for that.
But i like the idea.
Maybe better with a cheaper shallow sea since you don't need to slow down restrained enemies anyway.
But I think whirlpool is especially good to damage a home army at once.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
i believe shallow sea is siren only. so it would have to be swamp for non sirens.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »
Thats 9 (swamp) + 12 (Whirlpool) = 21 for holding the enemy in place and 6 damage. Spiked pit for 7 with tanglevine and astral anchor seems more efficient for that.
But i like the idea.
Maybe better with a cheaper shallow sea since you don't need to slow down restrained enemies anyway.

Shallow Sea is Siren only.
(Or is your point that this is too expensive for a Forcemaster; better to switch mages?)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 12:54:30 PM »
I tried it with the Siren first, but the Siren can't pull it off. Not enough defenses to survive without taking a lot longer. Forcefield ftw XD I'd like to be able to kill the mage quickly with this, but it seems like it won't work any quicker than mid game, and I'm not a good enough player yet to figure out how to adjust the deck to plan for that. That's why I'm asking for help.

As for why Whirlpool + Swamp, there's actually more than the obvious reason. Swamp makes it so after they've sent some creatures after me, when I run into the Swamp, everything they've spent that time sending after me (if anything) now has to waste time being slowed before it can do anything, plus they'll be hit by the pillar. that increases how long I'm safe for by a lot. Whirlpool also hits all the creatures at once, whereas other options only hit the mage, not threatening anything else at all. I was also originally thinking that if an enemy mage tried to teleport out, I could simply force pull then force push them back in, but since they'd have their 2 movement, i've realized the trick won't work like I wanted it to.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 12:56:43 PM »
How quickly do you plan to pull it off? I guess there's no Battle Forge because you want to save mana (?), but I don't know if Whirlpool + Pillar + Force Crush, supported by Astral Anchors (which are protected by Arcane Wards?), is enough to kill the enemy mage. Personally I'd want to gear up first so I can hammer them with Galvitar attacks while they're trying to undo all the restraining/crushing stuff... but that means going for a mid-length match where you spend early rounds gearing up and saving mana before casting all those expensive conjurations and enchantments to help finish them off.

Kind of feels like a slower, more expensive Teleport Trap into Spiked Pit gimmick.  If/when it works, it's awesome, but it's tricky (and costly) to pull off.

Originally this is exactly right, I had not included forge because I was trying to save mana to do the move as quickly as possible. I've realized it doesn't work as well as I'd like though, so I'm probably going to have to switch to a Forge. This and other problems with finishing the enemy mage off are why I'm asking for help fixing the deck.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »
But i like the idea.

Shallow Sea is Siren only.
(Or is your point that this is too expensive for a Forcemaster; better to switch mages?)
My point is that I forgot that restriction 8)