April 27, 2024, 04:52:41 PM

Author Topic: Which Academy spells are viable/good in Arena?  (Read 6370 times)

rant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • p00pstar on Octgn
    • View Profile
Re: Which Academy spells are viable/good in Arena?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »
I thought Combustion Demon would be worth it, if you run a Wildfire Imp Swarm?

Get into your opponent square and summon a Combustion Demon then Teleport with the Wildfire Imps.
Or use Flame Girl ability.

Ignite might be better and i know Pentagrams pretty bad, but still i could see its uses.
You get a Burn token on something and a creature. Seems like it might be worth it in some Fire builds.

Since when is pentagram bad? People just play it wrong. You're supposed to cast it right before you attack and then keep attacking enemy to keep the pressure on them and off of your pentagram. Pentagram pays itself back in about 5 rounds or so but only if you're attacking.

Pentagram has been "bad" for as long as I can remember. 

First, it's expensive to cast.  Second, it relies on attacking, which you might not always be able to do. Third, Demons feel like they cost more for doing less than other creature builds. Lastly, it's 10 incorporeal. So, about 2 ethereal attacks making it very weak.

If you're a warlock and you're *not* attacking and damaging anything at all you're probably not playing the warlock right. Warlock likes to curse things and attack things. That's what the warlock is designed to do. And there are ways to make sure your attacks are actually going through. Opponent has defenses? Use unavoidable attacks, or falcon precision. Armor? Acid and piercing. Guards? Tanglevine, shrink, surging wave, mongoose agility etc. Healing? Finite life. So you see, a spawnpoint that relies on attacking enemies isn't really much of a restriction for a warlock since the warlock would be doing that anyways whether they had a pentagram or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny that you decided the warlock should play a certain way then listed out of school spells to support that idea. In the end, needing to attack IS a restriction. I have yet to see a Pentagram strategy that actually works.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
This thread is about academy cards in arena, not about pentagram guys.  There are several threads, an entire mage cast, and a couple posted books that all involve this issue. If you wanna necrobump those threads to talk about that again, go for it. But let's try and stay on topic for the sake of the OP. Rock on!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

MrBubu

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 01:58:28 AM »
How did joined strength go unmentioned?^^

Overall I agree with Halewijn. Not sure about his actual list, but it might be easier to list cards that are under the power curve in arena.
especially the non-creature cards are interesting. Although there are some outlier creatures like Slavörg or whatever. The one who gets cheaper as animals die and who basically gets another action, i.e. guard for 2 mana, all while having respectable stats anyway.