April 23, 2024, 11:04:28 PM

Author Topic: Spellbook Builder  (Read 22613 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Spellbook Builder
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »
I am actually working with the players who update OCTGN to attempt to make it better, as well as fixing the sbb on our website. Improvements are coming and they are high on my priority list.

We are increasing our effort on MW at the moment, and you should see even more improvements (that I haven't mentioned) in the near future.

Good that we have grga's excellent SBB by now because the "official" SBB is probably as dead as dead can be.

Another quarter of a year has gone by and I have no idea anymore what "high on my priority list" and "in the near future" mean.
It's all relative, I guess.
On a universal timescale, the extinction of the dinosaurs was not that long ago either so I guess if the official SBB is done before the start of the 22nd century that would still qualify as "in the near future" ... I guess :(

I'm trying to visualise what it means "increasing our effort on MW at the moment" but my mind draws a blank.
Although, considering they did ... nothing ... before.
If they now do twice as much, thus ... twice nothing ... that would qualify as "increasing our effort".
That argument would probably hold in court.

Seriously.
Not a yota of progress has been made on this issue for about three years now.
You can't just keep saying we're "working on it" and expect to still be taken seriously.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:19:56 PM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 06:21:04 PM »
Even if the spellbookbuilder can't be updated soon, it would be nice to have all the new cards in the spell list on this site (including all promos if posible). It would be handy to quickly reference cards and to be have the oportunity to insert the pop-up card previews when posting on the forums. Completing that list would be a huge step forward and it's surely something that needs to be done anyway when the spellbookbuilder gets its update.

rant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • p00pstar on Octgn
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »
I am actually working with the players who update OCTGN to attempt to make it better, as well as fixing the sbb on our website. Improvements are coming and they are high on my priority list.

We are increasing our effort on MW at the moment, and you should see even more improvements (that I haven't mentioned) in the near future.

Good that we have grga's excellent SBB by now because the "official" SBB is probably as dead as dead can be.

Another quarter of a year has gone by and I have no idea anymore what "high on my priority list" and "in the near future" mean.
It's all relative, I guess.
On a universal timescale, the extinction of the dinosaurs was not that long ago either so I guess if the official SBB is done before the start of the 22nd century that would still qualify as "in the near future" ... I guess :(

I'm trying to visualise what it means "increasing our effort on MW at the moment" but my mind draws a blank.
Although, considering they did ... nothing ... before.
If they now do twice as much, thus ... twice nothing ... that would qualify as "increasing our effort".
That argument would probably hold in court.

Not a yota of progress has been made on this issue for about three years now.
You can't just keep saying we're "working on it" and expect to still be taken seriously.
By now, I have as much faith in this official MW project as I have in Project Trump. Zero.

Bro, keep the politics to the political threads.  Other than that, you make a valid point.  Fortunately, we do have other options and the game doesn't require a sbb to play.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »
Thank you for your kind words Borg.

My initial idea was to get AW to support my spellbook builder and at some point that almost happened (from what I was told they were drafting an agreement for me to sign), but then it didn't (with no explanation)...

I believe having an up-to-date functional spellbook builder is something we absolutely must have so I decided to put my time into building one instead of calculating spellbook points manually. Browsing spells and building books is half of the game and it needs to be fun and easy, not something cumbersome that "needs to be done" in order to be able to play the game.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »
I agree building and adjusting my books is a large part of my enjoyment.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 11:01:53 AM »

My initial idea was to get AW to support my spellbook builder and at some point that almost happened (from what I was told they were drafting an agreement for me to sign), but then it didn't (with no explanation)...

Why would they support you and pay you for something you're already doing willingly for free. Just saying.

It's totally a dick move, but you did create it, and keep it up to date with the help of the community. I would just be weary that somehow, they got someone to steal the code and logic behind it and are doing it themselves.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 11:08:43 AM »
I was not asking for any compensation, I wanted them to provide quality images of spells missing from official builder and help with future expansions in order to have them supported as soon as they launch them.

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 11:18:30 AM »
I don't care if they take the code, I even offered to transfer ownership of the code to them (for free).

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 11:41:33 AM »

Why would they support you and pay you for something you're already doing willingly for free. Just saying.

It's totally a dick move, but you did create it, and keep it up to date with the help of the community. I would just be weary that somehow, they got someone to steal the code and logic behind it and are doing it themselves.

Dude, Ray, this is blatant Defamation.  Arcane Wonders is a 3-employee company that's doing some seriously awesome work and all of this delay can be explained through Commitment to Quality and Lack of Personnel.  If you have ever actually talked to anyone at Arcane Wonders face to face you'd know that they are wonderful people that do their best to help, encourage and applaud when someone has done something worthy of recognition.  They just don't have a lot of time.

Reign in the bile, man.

grga, I applaud your work and your response.  Keep being awesome.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 12:06:43 PM »
I have personally found the entire Arcane Wonders staff, both past and present, to be the personification of professional and courteous. I can personally attest to having worked with every member of their staff at various points as an ambassador, Gen Con volunteer, event organizer, and in some cases even friend. Every time I've ever dealt with any employee of Arcane Wonders the service I've been provided with can only be described by any rational person as "above and beyond."

While it is true the spell book builder provided in the forums is not up to snuff compared to the one presented by our friend Grga here I strongly believe that will change and most likely by AW taking his spell book builder to heart. I applaud the work done on his builder and consider Grga one of the reasons the Mage Wars fan base is so phenomenal.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 06:07:56 PM »
I have personally found the entire Arcane Wonders staff, both past and present, to be the personification of professional and courteous. I can personally attest to having worked with every member of their staff at various points as an ambassador, Gen Con volunteer, event organizer, and in some cases even friend. Every time I've ever dealt with any employee of Arcane Wonders the service I've been provided with can only be described by any rational person as "above and beyond."

While it is true the spell book builder provided in the forums is not up to snuff compared to the one presented by our friend Grga here I strongly believe that will change and most likely by AW taking his spell book builder to heart. I applaud the work done on his builder and consider Grga one of the reasons the Mage Wars fan base is so phenomenal.

^this. Also as pointed out already, they used to have five staff members, now they only have 3. Honestly this game already depends on the fanbase in order to thrive. All the playtesters and ambassadors are volunteers. They are happy to do the work for free. Arcane Duels provides event coverage--also happily for free. Sometimes I wonder why AW doesn't enlist the help of the fanbase to do more stuff. They should have asked for a volunteer to work on the spellbook builder instead of waiting so long that somebody took it upon themselves to make a different one.

Now we have a link to an unnecessary extra spellbook builder on the forums which arcane wonders will now have to work on themselves anyways when they are already short on time and personnel, because they promised to and some people on the forums will get mad if they don't not because they actually need another spellbook builder but because it's the principle of the matter or something.

Hey AW you guys are awesome, but there is such a thing as biting off more than you can chew. You have a nicely sized portion of the fanbase that is wiling and able to help out more by volunteering their time to work on stuff to help the game, and they have already demonstrated that some of them will do so whether or not you specifically ask them to. Mage Wars is already fanbase driven to a large extent already. Maybe don't be afraid to ask us for help more often?

:D
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 05:12:04 PM »
I want to point out that I thgink grga is doing the Mage Wars Community a very great favor by creating a working and up-do-date spellbookbuilder! By this he is doing AW a very great favor.
The lack of one tool like this for incredibly long has for sure been an issue that made people stop playing the game.

So: I think this work deserves a bundle of banana stickers!!!

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 05:32:21 PM »
I want to point out that I thgink grga is doing the Mage Wars Community a very great favor by creating a working and up-do-date spellbookbuilder! By this he is doing AW a very great favor.
The lack of one tool like this for incredibly long has for sure been an issue that made people stop playing the game.

+1
The Phoenix shall rise.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 08:13:36 PM »

+1

I think you mean a *bunch* not a bundle.

*+5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.