April 20, 2024, 02:27:08 AM

Author Topic: Does the Paladin do everything better than the Warlord???  (Read 6408 times)

KissBlade

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Does the Paladin do everything better than the Warlord???
« on: January 18, 2017, 10:50:51 PM »
His creatures seem better, his spell spread seems better, better spawnpoint, better equips, even aura seem like a marginal upgrade to battle orders.  Surely I'm missing something.  Orc Butchers for Warlord seems pretty decent but Paladin gets access to those too!?  Only thing the Warlord seems to edge out is throwing boulders :(.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Does the Paladin do everything better than the Warlord???
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:14:27 PM »
Im taking Runes and Tuff -2 over possible Aura(s) , but Vet tokens?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:21:20 PM »
warlords are also trained in earth. so no he is not the same. but he is essentially a full priest plus level two war too.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 11:34:03 AM »
There's more to mages then their training you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 12:41:49 PM »
Warlord has a definite edge in destroying/taking/holding zone exclusives. Conquer and akiro's hammer would give him an edge in that area easily. Throw in tons of wall variants, cheap boulders, and standard bearer, and there are plenty of war items a paladin is missing out on.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
Paladin can't swarm as well as a Warlord, he has access to the weenies but no spawn point to cast them from. Holy weenies aren't really for going out and fighting, more for chilling and praying.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »
This is a great question!

Steep Hill is a playstyle that the Paladin does not do better at then the Warlord.

Thorg, Titanadon, Barracks are all super unique ways you can take the Warlord that the Paladin cannot replicate.

And I've been working on a mass goblin book that the Paladin would not be able to do nearly as quick.

• Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »
Warlord can build his outpost-economy which is fantastic!
Plus all mentioned above he plays very different. I think they are not comparable that easy.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 12:01:29 AM »
^this. Warlords are imo about conjurations for a big part.
If you'd change "warlord" into "priest" in your question, I'd have another opinion, but the warlord and paladin are indeed not very comparable.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

KissBlade

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 06:58:53 AM »
Hmm yeah.  I think I'm not too imaginative with the potential of the Warlord.  I should've clarified that I use the base Warlord more often because I find him easier to show new players the game by playing him instead of Anvil Throne where I have to explain all my runes whenever I cast them.

I try to set up an outpost economy but often I just settle for a barracks + one garrison (at MOST two).  Mana flower seems way more stable  for me because it's more flexible for your options.  I did forget that the Warlord gets better access to Wall of Earth, imo superior to the war options that the Pallie has to rely on.

I also tend to find most of my turn sequence be to set up a t1-2 econ while inching forward to drop either a pair of Orc butchers or a single bridge troll depending on the situation.  Then it's just buff with the rhino hide/akiros/bear strength while supporting with incantations.  With the paladin, I'd be able to center the banner and get a pair of Knights of Westlock or drop Alandell which seems just way more preferable, especially since the support spells from Paladin is more preferable from my exp, though, I lose out on overextend.

I haven't dabbled with steep hill but I have a REALLY hard time with doing a swarm build with the Warlord.  The goblins are so flimsy and Orc Butcher doesn't feel very swarmy.  Anyone who has a successful swarm build or a "build a fort" style warlord book that works out?  I'd like to try out something with archer outposts, etc but the mana/turn investment for setting up one seems very hard to justify.

It's also interesting that some find the Paladin and the Priest more similar or the Paladin perhaps as Priest 2.0 because I find they play much more differently than Warlord/Paladin.  As the Priest, the bow changes the dynamic of your game since it is a very efficient damage source so you tend to have a bit more mana to play with mid game for dropping bigger spells.  Holy avenger also allows you to be a bit more defensive, your smaller creatures are more efficient and you can bow + radiant breastplate to get a holy avenger proc.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:25:12 AM by KissBlade »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
Hmm yeah.  I think I'm not too imaginative with the potential of the Warlord.  I should've clarified that I use the base Warlord more often because I find him easier to show new players the game by playing him instead of Anvil Throne where I have to explain all my runes whenever I cast them.

I try to set up an outpost economy but often I just settle for a barracks + one garrison (at MOST two).  Mana flower seems way more stable  for me because it's more flexible for your options.  I did forget that the Warlord gets better access to Wall of Earth, imo superior to the war options that the Pallie has to rely on.

I also tend to find most of my turn sequence be to set up a t1-2 econ while inching forward to drop either a pair of Orc butchers or a single bridge troll depending on the situation.  Then it's just buff with the rhino hide/akiros/bear strength while supporting with incantations.  With the paladin, I'd be able to center the banner and get a pair of Knights of Westlock or drop Alandell which seems just way more preferable, especially since the support spells from Paladin is more preferable from my exp, though, I lose out on overextend.

I haven't dabbled with steep hill but I have a REALLY hard time with doing a swarm build with the Warlord.  The goblins are so flimsy and Orc Butcher doesn't feel very swarmy.  Anyone who has a successful swarm build or a "build a fort" style warlord book that works out?  I'd like to try out something with archer outposts, etc but the mana/turn investment for setting up one seems very hard to justify.

It's also interesting that some find the Paladin and the Priest more similar or the Paladin perhaps as Priest 2.0 because I find they play much more differently than Warlord/Paladin.  As the Priest, the bow changes the dynamic of your game since it is a very efficient damage source so you tend to have a bit more mana to play with mid game for dropping bigger spells.  Holy avenger also allows you to be a bit more defensive, your smaller creatures are more efficient and you can bow + radiant breastplate to get a holy avenger proc.

I haven't figured out how to use the Crusade Banner properly yet. So far, when I've used it I discover that would have been further ahead (either in mana or in tempo) to just hard-cast a couple of creatures while getting equipment from a Battle Forge, rather than do something fancy (and potentially risky) with the Banner.

Similarly, your outpost strategy doesn't seem efficient if your creatures are "a pair of Orc Butchers or a single Bridge Troll."Barracks + outposts is great if your putting out a creature every round or two, but it's a waste if you're only planning to bring out 1-2 creatures total. Why not skip the conjurations and just summon the creatures directly? Seems faster and more mana efficient than using a spawnpoint. And in that case, Anvil Throne Warlord is probably a better choice. (Or Paladin....)

By the way, I also find the Paladin is a lot like the Priest, especially with his new chest piece. Actually, it seems the Paladin can replace either mage: go with his chestpiece and you can can play him like a Priest (e.g. guard to draw attacks, benefit through your challenged foe ability, then strike with a buff'ed buddy), or go with Harshforge Plate and his new guantlets + [mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]Armor Ward[/mwcard] (which is uniquely fully in school for him, and can be cast by Cassiel, by the way) and play him like an AT Warlord - minus the runes, of course.

The biggest problem I've had building a Paladin is fitting all the cards in the standard 80-slot book... So many good spells are in school for him! (and Arcane is only the standard double sbp cost)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:32:09 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

KissBlade

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 07:45:56 PM »
Yep I totally agree that the rax + garrison opening isn't worth it if I plan on just getting out Orcs + big dudes.  I should've clarified that my typical Warlord decks actually don't use spawnpoints at all.  I generally toss down one or two mana flowers and call it a go.

Generally I have a really hard time justifying the cost of Barracks + Garrison post since you're giving up two actions for an awkward version of lair while not having the same spam factor of Timber wolf  + Timber Wolf pet.  If there was some way to make the Grunts not oneshottable ...  When I do try the Rax + Garrison opening, I tend to assemble a four Orc goon squad to give a go but the results are kinda meh.  It's ok but nothing impressive.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 11:05:34 AM »
Enchanters ring and glancing blow. For one mana you can almost guarantee even a goblin grunt will survive one attack. Im quickly gaining a tremendous amount of respect for glancing blow. A timber wolf rolls 1 die on that grunt.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!