April 28, 2024, 11:25:02 PM

Author Topic: Armory for skeleton necromancers?  (Read 10494 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Armory for skeleton necromancers?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 04:53:43 PM »
... I would probably also cast Eye of Baal on my opponent to try and speed up the damage rate.

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »
Just re-read the Supplement. Misunderstood this text before:

Replacing Equipment

You cannot have 2 pieces of equipment attached which have the same name or the same location. For example, you cannot have 2 Leather Gloves attached (same name). You cannot have both or a Bearskin and a Dragonscale Hauberk attached (same location).

If an equipment object of the same name or location is cast upon a Mage, if the spell is friendly controlled, the new equipment object is placed on the Mage, and the duplicate item (the original one which has the same name or location) is removed and placed in its owner’s spellbook. In this manner, friendly Mages can replace equipment on each other with newer or better choices. This might be useful for removing equipment armor which is no longer useful because it is corroded (see “Corrode”).

Note that if an enemy-controlled equipment object of the same name or location is cast on a friendly Mage, the new equipment object is destroyed and placed in its owner’s discard pile. Enemies cannot replace equipment items on friendly Mages.

So, an enemy can't replace your equipment, but you also can't replace equipment your enemy controls... so you can't just cast Moonglow Amulet over an Eye of Bael that your opponent put on you.  Interesting. Very interesting.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 05:16:04 PM »
That eye of bael trick sounds like cheating.  :P

haha  :D, So apparantly, it was Bigfatchef I was talking about.  :P
I don't think so halewijn :)
The only necro I ever posted was with mhgeddon to feed the sacrificial altar wich switched as idea from warlock to necro. But thats not it.

My idea was focusing on drain effects without many curses besides poisoned blood.

Yeah, still sounds like you. I kinda forgot the plan after drain soul. Besides, I'm not talking about a posted deck, but about one I battled on OCTGN.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:18:54 PM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 07:17:43 PM »
... I would probably also cast Eye of Baal on my opponent to try and speed up the damage rate.

Got a great laugh on this one! Awesome meme man. Yeah it's legal in the way you showed it was. Most players dont have more then 1 amulet and they usually cast it at the beginning of the game so its a fun strategy. They usually just dissolve it though :P
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 09:02:59 PM »
Got a great laugh on this one! Awesome meme man. Yeah it's legal in the way you showed it was. Most players dont have more then 1 amulet and they usually cast it at the beginning of the game so its a fun strategy. They usually just dissolve it though :P

I'd be happy if they have to waste a Dissolve to get rid of an EoB to stop the hurting. Small wins.

Are we absolutely sure it works? EoB keeps referencing "you" and "your Mage." Is that the Mage it's attached to or the Mage that controls the spell? I can't remember if somewhere it states that those are the same for equipment (unlike Enchantments and Conjurations).

The reason I'm asking is that my Sectarus-based direct damage/curse AC Warlock guffaws at the idea that his [mwcard=MW1J04]Battle Forge[/mwcard] can now cast a pseudo-curse on his non-Dark opposing Mage that might use up a Dissolve that would otherwise be saved for a much more crucial equipment on my Mage. Sure, it's just a Curse of Decay that can target a Mage...  but hey, it's a Curse of Decay that can target a Mage that can be cast by Battle Forge!! (And stacks with Magebane and Ghoul Rot and Plagued and all the rest)

Also... I'm now officially campaigning to get the Curse subtype put on EoB. I mean, even when it targets your own Demon-based Dark Mage, it's obviously a curse. It's certainly as much a curse as Demonic Bloodlust and the promo Bloodthirsty Strike.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:50:04 PM by iNano78 »

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2017, 10:18:33 PM »
I've seen multiple non-meditation amulet mages (bow for example or more general support) but only 1 offensive necromancer.

I don't remember who it was but the idea was to utilise his plague master more. I think he cast drain soul in turn 2 or 3 to get the poison condition on there and from there on, curses.
I believe that you are talking about Henry Kechups deck. I tried to build a similier deck, but my deck was only meh.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »
Yeh, the 6sbp isn't the problem, it's the 10 mana. Rarely is the Armoury worth it...

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 02:01:38 PM »
Yeh, the 6sbp isn't the problem, it's the 10 mana. Rarely is the Armoury worth it...

Well, it's kind of both. If it were 1-2 sbp's (e.g. roughly 1-2% of your spell book), it *might* be worth keeping in the book for the times when it is useful. But at 6 sbp's (5% of your spell book), it's really detrimental if you don't use it in most matches.

It's funny because totems ([mwcard=MW1J01]Rajan's Fury[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1J03]Tooth & Nail[/mwcard]) are often worthwhile for a Beastmaster swarm, but [mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ04]Armory[/mwcard] is rarely worthwhile for a Necromancer (or even a Warlord) swarm. The totems each do about half what Armory does, for 7 mana and 2 sbp's. You'd think doing "twice as much" for just +3 mana (and +0 actions) would be worthwhile most of the time...

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 02:40:09 PM »
I totally disagree with armory not being worth it for a necromancer. Most of them have a meditation amulet so its bot uncommon for a necro to channel 14+ mana per round. 10 mana and a quick cast really isnt that big of a deal. Boosting you skeletons really is a good option especially in combination with all the cheap reconstruct spells and mort. When I have it in my book, I think I cast it half of the games.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 05:21:22 PM »
My non-aggro books tend to channel lots of mana - 14-16 typically, and I still never want to cast the Armoury. I've had it in loads of Necro and Warlord books, it's just too expensive, and not that useful IMO.