May 01, 2024, 05:00:09 PM

Author Topic: Numbers of spells  (Read 3231 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Numbers of spells
« on: January 02, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »
So I have the problem of putting spells in my books and not really thinking about the number or need. For example I'll include 4 dispels but don't think about why I want that many. Same with acid ball, rhino hide, chest pieces and so on. Please give me tips on how to better make my books
The Phoenix shall rise.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Numbers of spells
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 05:57:28 PM »
welcome to the grand obsession. pouring over books in an effort to fine tune them. there is no one answer to your question. anyone who says otherwise is a snake oil peddler. there may be some guidelines some use to build Their books, and go from there, but that setup will be different for all players, so therefore no one answer. you have to determine what it is for you and what your build is trying to accomplish and flesh it out. then play it. no initial book survives first contact with an enemy. they all change.

and you really should figure it out for yourself rather than build what someone else suggests. i am really very much  against net decking in general. it is why i always ask to keep my builds offline. i do not want to play aganst my builds someone else is playing. i want to face your book made by you. most everyone else will have the opposite opinion. net decking ruined mtg. hated it back then too.

perhaps after you play a given build a few times, you may have a question about how to handle some specific situation. and get some feedback from the community. most likely you will answer your own questions after playing your book against various mages.

so whatever others post here as suggestions, that is what works for them in their groups and may not be as useful in yours. your mileage will vary.

i will offer this advice for general book building.

once you determine either a strategy or mage, build out the book. you will likely have a significant overage in sbp. trim it down to 120. then with the result, try to think of counter tactics you may encounter that will impede your book. shift out spells to handle that. also question whether some specific spell or mage that will be a major problem for you to handle. determine the liklihood of encountering that situation. if that is mid to high, swap spells to handle that too. you should be able to strip out chaff more easilly when you have real constraints. you will not be able to handle everything. so what you consider dangerous is what you have to deal with in your book. others will have various examples here. that is why again there is no answer for you.

i believe the 120 pt limit was exceptionally brilliant. it puts real boundries on the books. hence the grand obsession of what to put in, and what to take out to make room for it.

good luck.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 06:09:41 PM »
Thanks for the tips zot! I actually almost am never over sbp cap; i usually meet it on the dot.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »
I tried to start looking at what kind of spells, i and others actually casted in matches.

I know Sharkbait and Intangible uses changelogs, which seems like another great way to improve your spellbooks.

You might change your usual spellbook or even mage because you think you know what your next opponent is up to. Im saying vs some opponents 6 dissolves are not enough and vs others you might do fine without a single one.

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever