April 20, 2024, 05:21:30 AM

Author Topic: Boss Battle!  (Read 6587 times)

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Boss Battle!
« on: December 22, 2016, 03:45:38 AM »
The game mode is fairly straight-forward. One player picks a creature whose level must be 4 or higher as their Mage. The following changes are then made to that creature.

• Health is doubled.
  • In-School is treated as the Creature's Schools -2, plus the Creature's Subtypes. (Example: Alandell has Holy 3 and Knight)
  • Creatures with different Subtypes than yours are always treated as Opposed Schools.
  • The Mage has all the abilities of the normal Creature with only a few exceptions.
  • You have Channeling 10 if your Life is 30 or less, and -1 Channeling per 10 if it's over 30 Life (60 Life would mean Channeling 7.
  • You still have to pay Upkeep for yourself if you have the Upkeep trait.

In addition to this, the following Schools always have these as out of school:

• Mind: Non-Mind Creatures
  • War: Arcane
  • Arcane: Nature
  • Nature: War
  • Holy: Dark
  • Dark: Holy
  • Fire: Water
  • Water: Earth
  • Earth: Air
  • Air: Fire
(This list is tentative at best and open to suggestions for improvements)

I'd like to come up with something for the mana cost of your chosen creature too, but nothing I've come up with is balanced. Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? Let me know! Share your ideas for how to improve it!

EDIT: Also, some things that should be obvious: <Name> Only cards can only be used with said <Name>. Thus, Sardonyx cannot use Libro Mortuos.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:22:13 AM by Milevan_Faent »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Boss Battle!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 07:57:14 AM »
The game mode is fairly straight-forward. One player picks a creature whose level must be 4 or higher as their Mage. The following changes are then made to that creature.

• Health is doubled.
  • In-School is treated as the Creature's Schools -1, plus the Creature's Subtypes. (Example: Alandell has Holy 4 and Knight)
  • Creatures with different Subtypes than yours are always treated as Opposed Schools.
  • The Mage has all the abilities of the normal Creature with only a few exceptions.
  • You have Channeling 10 if your Life is 30 or less, and -1 Channeling per 10 if it's over 30 Life (60 Life would mean Channeling 7.

I'd like to come up with something for the mana cost of your chosen creature too, but nothing I've come up with is balanced. Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? Let me know! Share your ideas for how to improve it!

EDIT: Also, some things that should be obvious: <Name> Only cards can only be used with said <Name>. Thus, Sardonyx cannot use Libro Mortuos.

I think you need to balance the training and stat increases with each individual creature's abilities, rather than using a blanket rule. I suppose maybe you could try something where you can use spellbook points to customize your own ability card? But knowing how many spell points to cost certain abilities would be a pain. Probably better to turn non-Mage creatures into fan-made Mage-variants of themselves one creature at a time. Kind of like what I did with Alandell. Still, if you can find a way to make this work that would be pretty cool. I think I tried to make something like this previously and it probably wouldn't have worked but I don't remember the rules I made for it...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 08:00:15 AM »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 08:00:37 AM »

• Health is doubled.
  • In-School is treated as the Creature's Schools -1, plus the Creature's Subtypes. (Example: Alandell has Holy 4 and Knight)

I think you need to balance the training and stat increases with each individual creature's abilities, rather than using a blanket rule. I suppose maybe you could try something where you can use spellbook points to customize your own ability card? But knowing how many spell points to cost certain abilities would be a pain. Probably better to turn non-Mage creatures into fan-made Mage-variants of themselves one creature at a time. Kind of like what I did with Alandell. Still, if you can find a way to make this work that would be pretty cool. I think I tried to make something like this previously and it probably wouldn't have worked but I don't remember the rules I made for it...

I considered doing each creature, but that's a lot of potential creatures, unless I limit it to only certain ones.... which I suppose I can do, but I don't really have the time right now to work on that. Or the attention span. I tried to come up with rules that would help make it work though. Probably still need work, but it's something that can be used to a point at least.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Boss Battle!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 08:10:42 AM »

• Health is doubled.

I considered doing each creature, but that's a lot of potential creatures, unless I limit it to only certain ones.... which I suppose I can do, but I don't really have the time right now to work on that. Or the attention span. I tried to come up with rules that would help make it work though. Probably still need work, but it's something that can be used to a point at least.

You don't have to do it by yourself. You could just have people post fan-made "boss" versions of existing creatures in the custom cards section of the forums. While I'm not sure if it's more on topic there or here, if you posted there maybe you could start a fun tradition where people post their favorite creatures as mages where others can see and comment on them. Also have you seen my version of this, ascension mode? Instead of changing the creatures' stats, it just uses 6 spellpoints worth of creatures to be your Mage. Not sure if it's balanced or not, since you could have your Mage be 6 bitterwood foxes trained in nature and then you would be able to cast up to 7 spells in a single round including the quickcast (Except that would decrease by 1 whenever a fox died because they can't use their action if they're dead.)

Come to think of it, I should probably fix the rule about training so that it's explicitly clear that you cannot have ridiculously high training in everything.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:12:40 AM by Sailor Vulcan »

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 08:14:14 AM »
I suppose I could do something like that. If possible I'd like to try and make something like this work though.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 08:23:26 AM »
I suppose I could do something like that. If possible I'd like to try and make something like this work though.

I just did a bunch of edits to ascension mode to balance it better. You can take a look at it to maybe get some pointers. Note that it isn't tested at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 10:21:38 AM »
ב"ה
Well, you can't really have the same rules for different levels of creature.
However mighty, playing this way with a 4th level creature such as steelclaw grizzly or sir corazin (which are some of the better choices for a level 4 creature) really can't be compared to adramelech or a water elemental.
Look at a water elemental, a resilient burnproof 32 life mage. If you equip him with veteran's belt, then he becomes almost invulnerable.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »
Well, you can't really have the same rules for different levels of creature.
However mighty, playing this way with a 4th level creature such as steelclaw grizzly or sir corazin (which are some of the better choices for a level 4 creature) really can't be compared to adramelech or a water elemental.
Look at a water elemental, a resilient burnproof 32 life mage. If you equip him with veteran's belt, then he becomes almost invulnerable.

Broadly correct, but Veteran's Belt would do nothing...

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 07:25:12 PM »
I hadn't put this in yet, but I suppose a few more rules are needed. I'm going to go through OCTGN some time in the next few days and collect of list of subtypes. Anything not of those subtypes won't be able to use equipment, or at the least certain slots.

I'm also likely to come up with special rules for all Legendary and Epic creatures. Either outright saying "can't use them", or something that will help balance them out. As for the lv 4 vs higher levels thing, already been thinking on it. I'm thinking another balancing factor is going to be the loss of SBP equal to the Mana Cost of your Mage.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 05:09:59 AM »
I hadn't put this in yet, but I suppose a few more rules are needed. I'm going to go through OCTGN some time in the next few days and collect of list of subtypes. Anything not of those subtypes won't be able to use equipment, or at the least certain slots.

I'm also likely to come up with special rules for all Legendary and Epic creatures. Either outright saying "can't use them", or something that will help balance them out. As for the lv 4 vs higher levels thing, already been thinking on it. I'm thinking another balancing factor is going to be the loss of SBP equal to the Mana Cost of your Mage.

This only balances it until you factor in the druid.....

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 05:12:32 AM »

This only balances it until you factor in the druid.....

??? How does the Druid factor into this?