April 30, 2024, 03:12:40 AM

Author Topic: Titanodon & the Fire Monsters  (Read 4776 times)

EricTheGreat12

Titanodon & the Fire Monsters
« on: December 07, 2016, 08:13:51 PM »
As anybody gotten this massive elephant that was included in the Lost Grimoire expansion, and have they been able to put it into good use? I've seen the card, and I'm not sure to include it in a Beastmaster book or a Warlord's book.

Including the Magna Golem and the Fire Elemental, is there any benefit in choosing one creature over the other?

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Titanodon & the Fire Monsters
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 11:08:11 PM »
Fire Elemental is a very dangerous choice with so much Surging Wave out there.  It would roll 5 dice at full damage for 5 mana.  And Heaven forbid you'd run into a Siren.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 01:04:24 AM »
The Siren and Druid are you worse enemies.  (the female warlock or the other hand is going to be crying.)
The water spells are everywhere, I take 2 swells in almost every deck I have. Anyways all the water spells are bad news especially "Swell" 5 dice for 4 mana at range 2.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 07:57:00 AM »
With Titanodon, I was thinking Anvil Throne Warlord buddy. But 19 mana is tough to come up with, and Slow hurts the beast. Maybe somehting like:
Turn 1 double-move + Battle Forge;
Turn 2 Titanodon;
Turn 3 get something from the forge and charge into battle, using Lesser Teleport to advance your Elephant. Maybe?

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:18:37 AM »
With Titanodon, I was thinking Anvil Throne Warlord buddy. But 19 mana is tough to come up with, and Slow hurts the beast. Maybe somehting like:
Turn 1 double-move + Battle Forge;
Turn 2 Titanodon;
Turn 3 get something from the forge and charge into battle, using Lesser Teleport to advance your Elephant. Maybe?

Ballad of Courage might be good in this case; although its effects lasting only 2 turns is still too little to be big. Lesser Teleport might help as well if you combo it with BoC.

Just realized that the Magma Golem doesn't have any hydro + effects, so it would be still be vulnerable, although less of a risk against the Siren

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 11:55:50 AM »
I think you guys are going about this the wrong way with the elephant. It's a behemoth like Earth elemental, it's meant to hit really hard and last a long while. Think like Godzilla attacking Tokyo. Only unlike the earth elemental, the elephant is more specialized. It doesn't have a zone attack, and it's quick attack is 7 dice against corp conjugations and 5 against anything else, while it's trample attack is 7 dice against anything. This thing is designed to kill things while being hard to kill, and hard to stop from killing things because tough-2. The reason it has slow is obviously to balance out the trample. Lesser teleport it into a zone, have it kill something with its regular melee attack, then have it walk out of zone and use trample as it leaves. Ballad of courage would help in some cases, but it doesnt need to be normal speed all the time. Of course, one benefit of using titanidon instead of earth elemental is that titanodon can have cheetah speed. I know realize that earth elemental's slow trait is meant to balance his sheer bulk and the sheer power of its attacks. Stick Earth Elemental in a deck with a few lesser teleports and don't be afraid to have earth elemental take move actions sometimes. Similarly, stick titanodon in a deck with a few lesser teleports and ballads of courage, and don't be afraid to let it take move actions even while slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:27:35 PM »
I think you guys are going about this the wrong way with the elephant. It's a behemoth like Earth elemental, it's meant to hit really hard and last a long while. Think like Godzilla attacking Tokyo. Only unlike the earth elemental, the elephant is more specialized. It doesn't have a zone attack, and it's quick attack is 7 dice against corp conjugations and 5 against anything else, while it's trample attack is 7 dice against anything. This thing is designed to kill things while being hard to kill, and hard to stop from killing things because tough-2. The reason it has slow is obviously to balance out the trample. Lesser teleport it into a zone, have it kill something with its regular melee attack, then have it walk out of zone and use trample as it leaves. Ballad of courage would help in some cases, but it doesnt need to be normal speed all the time. Of course, one benefit of using titanidon instead of earth elemental is that titanodon can have cheetah speed. I know realize that earth elemental's slow trait is meant to balance his sheer bulk and the sheer power of its attacks. Stick Earth Elemental in a deck with a few lesser teleports and don't be afraid to have earth elemental take move actions sometimes. Similarly, stick titanodon in a deck with a few lesser teleports and ballads of courage, and don't be afraid to let it take move actions even while slow.

A slow creature could also go chasing the enemy mage. I well sometime tanglevine the enemy mage and slowly chasing him with an iron golem, often they waste a lot of mana/spell points/actions to avoid the golem.

Just a thought.
Kill with Tanglevine

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 02:54:54 PM »
A slow creature could also go chasing the enemy mage. I well sometime tanglevine the enemy mage and slowly chasing him with an iron golem, often they waste a lot of mana/spell points/actions to avoid the golem.

Just a thought.

A similar strategy works with [mwcard=DNC03]Devouring Jelly[/mwcard]; e.g. as a buddy for a Forcemaster or Wizard.

At least, it used to work prior to the arrival of Chitin Armor + Waterfall Cloak!  I fear the Jelly will become relatively scarce in my books going forward. Perhaps it might be included as an answer to specific match-ups, but not as my sole buddy anymore.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 03:19:48 PM by iNano78 »

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 01:07:14 PM »
If Titanodon is being used, then Ballad of Courage would be a huge boost to it...

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 05:13:58 PM »

Just a thought.

A similar strategy works with [mwcard=DNC03]Devouring Jelly[/mwcard]; e.g. as a buddy for a Forcemaster or Wizard.

At least, it used to work prior to the arrival of Chitin Armor + Waterfall Cloak!  I fear the Jelly will become relatively scarce in my books going forward. Perhaps it might be included as an answer to specific match-ups, but not as my sole buddy anymore.

Jelly will be better with forcemaster than wizard now. Thoughtspores with disarm and teleport will be a life saver for jelly decks. Or if you want to keep to wizard, just summon more than one jelly and use it against non-Mage creatures.

I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 01:32:06 PM »
If Titanodon is being used, then Ballad of Courage would be a huge boost to it...

I would like to see the Anvil Warlord with Command Helm + -1 mana rune + Command ring.
That would give "Charge" fast + charge +1 for only 2 mana. You could also use it on non-living (iron golem) when Titanodon does not need it.
Kill with Tanglevine

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 06:41:10 PM »
I want to see a game end where a forcemaster mind controlls the giant elephant and tramples the enemy mage for the final blow
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns