April 20, 2024, 05:09:17 AM

Author Topic: Push effects from counterstrikes against flying creatures  (Read 2180 times)

cryodragon

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Push effects from counterstrikes against flying creatures
« on: November 27, 2016, 06:04:23 PM »
I have a question about a scenario that I think I know the answer to but would appreciate confirmation from those more involved in the rules than me.

The scenario involves a guarding creature capable of a push effect with its counterattack, a flying creature making the attack, and a wall with the passage attacks trait. For clarity, we can use the [mwcard=psc23]Shoalsdeep Tidecaller[/mwcard] guarding, the [mwcard=PSC06]Crusader Griffin[/mwcard] attacking, and a [mwcard=PSW01]Coral Barrier[/mwcard] as the wall.

The question is if during the counterstrike step the Tidecaller makes the push effect, could it push the attacking Griffin through the Coral Barrier, triggering the passage attack?

I think the answer is yes but please correct me if I am wrong. My reasoning is since the Griffin is attacking a non-flying creature, it lost the flying trait for the duration of the attack. Unless I am mistaken, the push effect, and the passage attack of the Coral Barrier, is resolved during the attack (specifically the counterstrike step), and thus before the Griffin regains the flying trait.

Is my interpretation correct?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 06:11:45 PM by cryodragon »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Push effects from counterstrikes against flying creatures
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 09:27:48 PM »
You are completely correct. Your reasoning is 100% spot on. It loses the Flying trait and cannot regain it until the attack is over with. Both the Push and the Passage Attack happen during the Counterstrike step. Everything is accurate.