April 24, 2024, 08:34:19 PM

Author Topic: Errata'd cards as promo cards?  (Read 16246 times)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Errata'd cards as promo cards?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 02:00:40 PM »
Does anybody have any better ideas? Are there other reasons errata'd cards as promo cards wouldn't work that well which I am not thinking of?

Yes - in every instance you see them printing and issuing an errated card, I'd rather they print and issue me a promo card already designed and in circulation. That's useful to me, but the errata are not.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »
Does anybody have any better ideas? Are there other reasons errata'd cards as promo cards wouldn't work that well which I am not thinking of?

Yes - in every instance you see them printing and issuing an errated card, I'd rather they print and issue me a promo card already designed and in circulation. That's useful to me, but the errata are not.

So then the question is whether printing errata cards as promos would at all decrease the number of actual promos being released, and if so by how much. Anybody know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 06:59:33 AM »
Well printing the cards has a cost, that either gets absorbed by AW (and ultimately affects the cost of their products), or you get charged for them, and AW take an upfront hit of cashflow, to be slowly replenished by sales.

Even if they were distributed in parallel to promos, there has to be a cost. I'd rather AW was more profitable, or the cost of the main products stayed lower, or they had more money to spend on larger printruns of other products, or to hire more developer time, or etc...

You (and others) obviously disagree, but all things have a cost in resources. TNSTAAFL.

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 07:38:04 AM »
I think getting 1 promo pack with all the errata-cards is a reasonable idea. Cool cool! Can't wait for it! :)

/edit: Uh, there are 27 errata cards so far - that has to be a huge promo-pack. But this number only shows that it really is time to get all the fans up to speed.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:54:19 AM by Enti »

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 11:16:34 AM »
I think getting 1 promo pack with all the errata-cards is a reasonable idea. Cool cool! Can't wait for it! :)

/edit: Uh, there are 27 errata cards so far - that has to be a huge promo-pack. But this number only shows that it really is time to get all the fans up to speed.

It's much bigger than 27 I think - there are a lot of subtypes and damage types added to core set cards, as well as the substantive changes like Hand of Bim Shalla, Gate to Hell, etc...

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2016, 11:28:31 AM »
Well, I just counted them. It's 27 - including any minor change as subtype "mana" suddenly and stuff like this.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »
Well, I just counted them. It's 27 - including any minor change as subtype "mana" suddenly and stuff like this.

Then I stand corrected, less than I thought.

Alex

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 01:23:59 PM »
I would buy an update pack.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2016, 02:30:05 PM »
How many copies of each card does a 'pack' contain - some of those were 6 per set, some 4 per set... If there's 27 different cards then I must have a couple of hundred that need changing...

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 09:21:47 PM »
Even at 4 replacements in an update pack that is 104 cards per set which is more or less a core tome 1 spell set and that without any of the level 1s getting 6.

So instead of using those print runs to print new cards they are reprinting old cards.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 06:50:10 AM »
Even at 4 replacements in an update pack that is 104 cards per set which is more or less a core tome 1 spell set and that without any of the level 1s getting 6.

So instead of using those print runs to print new cards they are reprinting old cards.

Even if they were to reprint select older cards like this, I'd much rather have an essentials pack - Teleport, Lesser Teleport, Dissolve, Crumble, Mage Bane, Acid Ball, etc...

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 08:05:05 AM »

This is the big problem. Printing "errata" replacement cards really does cost time at graphics, typesetting and printers. Sure, it doesn't take up development time, but it could still mean a delay in other product. Of course, updated card text should show up on future printings of the product in which it's contained, just like each printing of the core set, the latest printing of FvW (e.g. Goblin Builder), etc.

That said, there was a long wait between Forged in Fire and the releases that followed (Battlegrounds Domination/Academy/Paladin vs Siren/Lost Grimoire v1). If there might be another year-plus long wait between expansions, perhaps a "Core Spell Tome 3" that includes errata + staples could be produced, which might include latest card text for some cards and extra copies of staples like Teleport, Lesser Teleport, Force Push, Disperse, Crumble, Mage Bane, Ghoul Rot, Acid Ball, Brace Yourself, Leather Chausses, etc. But only if it doesn't take time/effort away from future new release expansions... and perhaps even reprints (e.g. keeping core sets and previous expansions in stock), since Mage Wars could really use new players, and new players need Core Sets and main expansions, not errata reprints.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 08:35:34 AM »
I think the bottleneck is designing new cards and not printing them. It's also something they outsource.
Expansions will probably be coming faster in the future, looking at what they have released since december 2015.

2012: Core
2013: Forcemaster/warlord (Februari) + Conquest of Kumanjaro (July) + Druid vs Necro (december). This was a crazy year. :P
2014: Forged in Fire (July). Expansions were slower but ok.
2015: Domination (July) + academy core (december). Here it was very slow for Arena especially.
2016: PvS + Academy Priestess + Academy Warlock + Lost Grimoire. A lot came out this year.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 09:03:58 AM »
If anything future releases will be faster than 2013 and 2016 (which were the only two reasonable releases to date). Things are very much looking up for MW.

A big pack such as this will have a cost however - even printing a 2x Unique/Legendary/specific mage, 6x L1 and 4x L2+ kind of playset of errated cards will make this the size and price of Lost Grimoire. And I'd need just over 7 of them...

Anyone going to pay that? Not me... I wouldn't pay anything for it.

Alex

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2016, 03:57:33 AM »
 Errata'd cards as promo cards is an option to update Mage Wars. If this idea will be realized, then my wish is AW sell the cards in small update packages (with 12 cards in it).