May 02, 2024, 06:07:13 AM

Author Topic: Druid's Vine Tree clarification  (Read 3048 times)

Zombie@Heart

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Druid's Vine Tree clarification
« on: October 10, 2016, 11:10:15 PM »
Question about the Vine Tree conjuration. It has two abilities that activate during the deployment phase. One that allows you to place a second vine token using the Druids spreading vines ability, and the second that allows you to cast a vine creature.

Do you get to use both of these abilities during a single deployment phase? Or do you have to choose only one?

They way I understood it is you can only activate a single card once per round; this would appear to me to be activating a single card twice in one round, but I could see how the argument could be made for them activating either simultaneously or at the very least consecutively.

Second question! In the case you do get go activate both, can you spend the vine token just placed to summon a vine creature there? i.e. do they have to be resolved in a particular order or can you alternate it? I don't imagine it will make a difference 99% of the time but just in case of that 1%, it might help to know. Thanks for the help!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Druid's Vine Tree clarification
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 08:26:20 AM »
1) Both of [mwcard=DNJ12]Vine Tree[/mwcard]'s abilities trigger during Deployment.
2) As the controller of Vine Tree you are able to determine which abilities to play and in which order to play them
3) You could choose to deploy a vine with Vine Tree and then deploy an attached card using the newly placed vine.

Bonus:
4) You may not use Vine Tree's mana to place the Vine Token, you must use your Mage's mana supply.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 09:12:17 AM »
They way I understood it is you can only activate a single card once per round;

this is not true.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:25:41 AM »
They way I understood it is you can only activate a single card once per round;

this is not true.

I think careful use of terminology may help here. Activate is a term with a very specific meaning in mage wars. It is something you can only do with active creatures and only during creature action phases. It allows you to take an action with the chosen creature following specific rules, ending with the creature becoming inactive and therefore unable to activate again this round (usually). Nothing else ever activates.

With the tree you have two abilities which do not require any action or activation to use. The card itself describes how they work, and does not say they are mutually exclusive. So, yes you can use both. Since they happen during the same time, the general rule is that you can choose the order they occur in. This does allow you to place a vine marker and then immediately use it to deploy a card from the tree.

I hope that helps to elaborate on the answers already given.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 10:13:25 AM »
That feeling, when you see a new thread with a word "How" or "What" or "Clarification". That rush of adrenaline triggered by a chance to help, to shine, to anser... to get bannana sticker...

then you spot name Zuberi as a Last comenteer :D
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
Lol, puddnhead beat us both if that helps any.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 01:56:36 PM »
Alas, the Banana fairy is not home today.  And I was actually timely and correct too ;)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 02:54:38 PM »
What? Someone said my name, I think... and yes Puddnhead is correct.

Zombie@Heart

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 09:19:04 PM »
lol Thanks folks! I love the druid and wanna make sure I am playing her correctly