March 28, 2024, 06:36:32 PM

Author Topic: What has changed?  (Read 21139 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
What has changed?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »
Also note that Joined Strength is an Academy card and not an Arena card. It should not be in the Arena rules supplement.

This would be consistent with AW keeping a separate Codex for each product line. The rule sets and rule supplements should be kept separate as well.

All Academy cards are playable in Arena, therefore it's important to know how to play them in Arena!

Moreover, some Academy rules (and thus cards) operate differently in Academy to Arena, thus they HAVE to be in Arena documents, in addition to Academy.

I'd be willing to bet more people play Academy cards in Arena than in Academy...

Sad but probably true. Academy has been out for a year and it still doesn't have any competitive play. Even worse, the marketing for the game has misrepresented it as a mere watered down version of Arena and therefore only for casual players, and this is not true at all, and yet that's what a lot of people seem to think. No wonder so few people seem to be playing it.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
Re: What has changed?
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »
please, let's keep the topic for collecting errata and rules clarifications...

thanks!

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 10:20:24 AM »
Also note that Joined Strength is an Academy card and not an Arena card. It should not be in the Arena rules supplement.

This would be consistent with AW keeping a separate Codex for each product line. The rule sets and rule supplements should be kept separate as well.

All Academy cards are playable in Arena, therefore it's important to know how to play them in Arena!

Moreover, some Academy rules (and thus cards) operate differently in Academy to Arena, thus they HAVE to be in Arena documents, in addition to Academy.

I'd be willing to bet more people play Academy cards in Arena than in Academy...

I understand the interaction between the different rule sets. However, to me you are describing a Mage Wars rules supplement and not an Arena supplement. Adding sections of rules, codex, and clarifications to the Arena rules supplement to include Academy cards and Academy rule changes would be better communicated in a separate supplement just for that purpose. This makes it easier for customers to understand the different options in the product lines.

Since the product lines have different release schedules it also means updates to documents can keep pace with the product line and therefore only impacts that segment of customers who need the updates. It really comes down to AW deciding how to support the different customer segments that have emerged from the different product lines in the Mage Wars game universe.

Of course players can create any player aid they want to support their favorite style of play. Perhaps the target customers for a combined rule supplement described here would be - Arena Tournament rules supplement. This seems to describe the segment of players who would need a combined supplement.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 10:51:06 AM »
I never played Academy, but I use (a few) academy cards in Arena.
If AW updates the Arena supplement one day, they will decide if rulings about academy cards have to be in it or not, but for now it seems to me practical to have the rulings for all the cards I use as an Arena player collected in one document.

...What brings me to another question...
I thought many people would like this idea and would like to help, but it looks like I was wrong. I will continue to look through the forum and add items to my list, but I'm affraid I can't do this alone. To much stuf in the forum.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 10:51:25 AM »
I understand the interaction between the different rule sets. However, to me you are describing a Mage Wars rules supplement and not an Arena supplement. Adding sections of rules, codex, and clarifications to the Arena rules supplement to include Academy cards and Academy rule changes would be better communicated in a separate supplement just for that purpose. This makes it easier for customers to understand the different options in the product lines.

I think we may be talking across purposes. What I was talking about (and understood others to be) was talking about Academy cards, and rules and rulings on those cards in Arena. As such it has nothing to do with Academy at all (other than Academy being an expansion for Arena) and would still be a purely Arena document...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:21:37 AM by Kelanen »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 11:15:54 AM »

I think we may me talking across purposes. What I was talking about (and understood others to be) was talking about Academy cards, and rules and rulings on those cards in Arena. As such it has nothing to do with Academy at all (other than Academy being an expansion for Arena) and would still be a purely Arena document...

In principle, for both Mage Wars product lines to exist and prosper, there needs to be a Codex/Rule Supplement/FAQ for Academy (eg the game itself, and rulings for cards and card interactions in that format), and a separate Codex/Rule Supplement/FAQ for Arena, which includes rulings and effects for all cards legal in Arena (eg including Academy cards). Stagger has already made an appearance in Codex v 3.1, and it has been stated that Azurean Genie's wish action is a quick action, etc, and I could envision other Arena rules questions about Academy cards that only apply to Arena (eg can Jade Gremlin's mana-paid effect dodge Wall Passage attacks? Bash attacks from being pushed into a non-Passage wall? Attacks from Damage Barriers? Zone attacks and other Unavoidable attacks?).

Sadly, it is clear that Arcane Wonders is unable to support their flagship product line by keeping up with FAQ and Rules Supplement documents, card database, spell book builder, organized play event kits, web site updates, etc. Either it will fall on fans to make ruling compilations and their own spell book builders and card databases with scanned card images and unboxing videos, or the game will continue to along the path towards a slow death due to lack of official support.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:20:10 AM by iNano78 »

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 12:29:50 PM »
it has been stated that Azurean Genie's wish action is a quick action
i add this one to the list!

etc,
I don't follow the academy forum... if there are a lot of this "etc." I'm interested to know!

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 05:23:02 PM »

I thought many people would like this idea and would like to help, but it looks like I was wrong. I will continue to look through the forum and add items to my list, but I'm affraid I can't do this alone. To much stuf in the forum.

I read all those topics about rules clarification and try to remember it all. I have no overview what had already been written down ir not. Many threads ended like „... We have to wait for an official ruling on this one“ and some ended as a discussion.
I would love to help but would need hours for research. I think Tsunami needs a clarification even before it is fully released, though.

Exid, big thumbs up for your work here and what you are trying to do. I bet it just takes time. The quickest way for a precise ruling document would be a scan of Zuberis brain :D

As Kelanen said it should be ArcaneWoners to do this work. Cool to have fans like this, but thst is nothing to build a business on! It is their product and we all players are paying for all cards and apps and extensions to get the whole package. I hope we don't see the beginning of the end of mage wars right now!

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 07:14:11 PM »
As Kelanen said it should be ArcaneWoners to do this work. Cool to have fans like this, but thst is nothing to build a business on! It is their product and we all players are paying for all cards and apps and extensions to get the whole package. I hope we don't see the beginning of the end of mage wars right now!

Actually it was iNano, not that I disagree with it...

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2016, 12:17:09 AM »
The quickest way for a precise ruling document would be a scan of Zuberis brain :D
;D ;D ;D I tired to bring him here, but he didn't show up!

As Kelanen
(iNano)
said it should be ArcaneWoners to do this work. Cool to have fans like this, but thst is nothing to build a business on! It is their product and we all players are paying for all cards and apps and extensions to get the whole package. I hope we don't see the beginning of the end of mage wars right now!
I totally agree.
But after two years waiting I prefer to take some of my time to make the game playable again... and, even if we pay and they get the milions $ income, I like the idea that we contribute building our favorite game here with our ideas, questions, answers,...

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2016, 07:13:57 AM »
Maybe I find some more time to help out here next week.
For changed cards this is a good overview (in german) by donovan http://www.foren.pegasus.de/foren/topic/27275-errata-jpgs/
He made a codexcollection as well. (I think he might be a good adress to help here, too.)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 07:39:52 AM »
Maybe I find some more time to help out here next week.
For changed cards this is a good overview (in german) by donovan http://www.foren.pegasus.de/foren/topic/27275-errata-jpgs/
He made a codexcollection as well. (I think he might be a good adress to help here, too.)
german... not difficult enough to make me read english???
ok, ich gucke dein Link schnell.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
What has changed?
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 07:48:24 AM »

I read all those topics about rules clarification and try to remember it all. I have no overview what had already been written down ir not. Many threads ended like „... We have to wait for an official ruling on this one“ and some ended as a discussion.
I would love to help but would need hours for research. I think Tsunami needs a clarification even before it is fully released, though.

Exid, big thumbs up for your work here and what you are trying to do. I bet it just takes time. The quickest way for a precise ruling document would be a scan of Zuberis brain :D

Mage Wars isn't ending. It oftentimes might seem like that due to the lack of activity on the forums, the lack of support for competitive Standard team play Academy and Domination, or the extremely long wait time between expansions updates to the website spellbook builder codex and rules, and the difficulty in starting or finding local organized play in some places.

But if you just ask your FLGS, you might be surprised to find that they are selling a lot of copies of Mage Wars products. I think the vast majority of Mage Wars players are playing casually rather than competitively.

Also there is more than one Mage Wars forum. The German publisher Pegasus Spiele has their own Mage Wars forums, and the Mage Wars community is split between there and here, so the player base is bigger than it looks.

Plus I suspect most players don't go on the forums at all.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:51:55 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2016, 08:05:23 AM »
a few question about what I found on the german site...

Gate to hell:
the attack is to all the arena?

Quicksand:
Can't targt uncontainable creatures?

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 09:56:49 AM »
But if you just ask your FLGS, you might be surprised to find that they are selling a lot of copies of Mage Wars products. I think the vast majority of Mage Wars players are playing casually rather than competitively.

I've not found a FLGS that will even stock it let alone is selling it! And this comes after offers to run demos, OP kits, etc.