April 25, 2024, 06:30:05 AM

Author Topic: Mangler Caltrops  (Read 8473 times)

rtgwork

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mangler Caltrops
« on: April 22, 2013, 03:59:34 AM »
Will the caltrops attack creatures that were summoned in the same zone?  How about creatures that were banished and then came back into a zone with a caltrops?

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: Mangler Caltrops
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 07:53:48 AM »
Welcome to the Forums rtgwork!!

As for banish, the rules say that teleporting,push/pull, is entering in a zone. So I would say yes.

Pg.24 Traps side bar-An enemy creature might enter the zone by taking
a move action, or it might get Pushed or Teleported

As for summoned, this is being worked out right now, and we do not have an official answer. Im sorry for the inconvenience. My group plays with the assumption that summoning is in fact entering a zone. It would be the ONLY thing in the game to not be considered entering, and in other games we play, when something is summoned it is entering the square or zone or board, what have you.  

This is from the FAQ:
The Mangler Caltrops only attacks creatures that enter into the zone.  This is by any means -Pushing, teleporting, or just walking right in.
It does not attack creatures who are in the zone when it is cast, or who remain in the zone. It does not attack creatures when they exit the zone. If they leave the zone and come back in, it will attack them when they enter the zone again.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 08:23:37 AM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=11548
Welcome to the Forums rtgwork!!

As for banish, the rules say that teleporting,push/pull, is entering in a zone. So I would say yes.

Pg.24 Traps side bar-An enemy creature might enter the zone by taking
a move action, or it might get Pushed or Teleported

As for summoned, this is being worked out right now, and we do not have an official answer. Im sorry for the inconvenience. My group plays with the assumption that summoning is in fact entering a zone. It would be the ONLY thing in the game to not be considered entering, and in other games we play, when something is summoned it is entering the square or zone or board, what have you.  

This is from the FAQ:
The Mangler Caltrops only attacks creatures that enter into the zone.  This is by any means -Pushing, teleporting, or just walking right in.
It does not attack creatures who are in the zone when it is cast, or who remain in the zone. It does not attack creatures when they exit the zone. If they leave the zone and come back in, it will attack them when they enter the zone again.

The reason for this is technically a summoned creature does enter the zone but for balance issue we have been looking at summoning not triggering cards like the caltrops.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:03:13 AM »
But it is so fun to place caltrops in a zone with a spawnpoint!!! come on!
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Graendahl

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 09:50:17 PM »
Okay..   This might sound stupid..   But the text on the card does not denote if it only attacks enemy creatures or if the "EACH NON FLYING CREATURES" means your friendly forces as well??

If it attacks both Friend and Foe, what is the use of this card??

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »
Yes it attacks all non flying creatures, regardless of friendly or not.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 11:10:56 AM »
Okay..   This might sound stupid..   But the text on the card does not denote if it only attacks enemy creatures or if the "EACH NON FLYING CREATURES" means your friendly forces as well??

Correct... the it attacks all non flying creatures when they enter the zone.

In addition to the spawnpoint issue, note that this technically also means that a flying creature can enter the zone and then go on guard (losing flying) and be immune to the caltrops.

The use is the same as if it didn’t attack your own creatures... except that you need to ensure that it s presence will impact you opponent more than it does you. Either you use it in specific situations (maybe you anticipate a zombie frenzy, for example), or you run sturdier and or fewer creatures than your opponent.

• Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 04:43:48 PM »

The big thing this card is good against is swarm melee strategies. The card does not see a lot of play. I think there is a place for this card in ranged focused warlords. It's a decent combo with steep hill. Also the Siren or Fm could probably get some mileage out of it.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 04:55:32 PM »
 ironically druids probably get the most out of this card. Problem is its 3 sp, and usually not worth the cost for the amount of dice it throws. There's a place for it somewhere, but it's hard to justify the action.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 06:30:06 PM »
ironically druids probably get the most out of this card. Problem is its 3 sp, and usually not worth the cost for the amount of dice it throws. There's a place for it somewhere, but it's hard to justify the action.

The Druid, Siren or Forcemaster might get the most out of this card, but the Necromancer is enjoying this thread bump.

"Mmmm... aged 5 years. Excellent bouquet. A very nice vintage."

Welcome to the forums, Graendahl!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster