March 28, 2024, 06:40:14 AM

Author Topic: Redirect  (Read 4982 times)

LEErrr

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Redirect
« on: August 30, 2016, 02:53:16 AM »
need help

If attacker makes an unavoidable attack , the defender reveals the Redirect and pays the reveal cost.

Does the attacker still receives 2 damage after making the attack?

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Redirect
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 03:52:35 AM »
Nice, Zuberi is asleep, now is my chance to earn Banana Sticker!!! :D

Redirect had DEFENSE as its subtype and also it text says:
Redirect counts as a Defense and Must be revealed when this creature is attacked. That attack is avoided. The attacker receives 2 direct damage. Then destroy Redirect

Arena Codex says:
Defenses cannot be used to avoid this attack.

Academy Codex says:
Unavoidable Attacks with this trait are accurate or cover a wide area. Defenses cannot be used to avoid this attack.

Thus even if your friend pays reveal cost, nothing will happen becaue there is nothing to "redirect".

From my reasoning, you attacked your friend with a spell that overcome defenses, so defenses cannot react to that attack thus dealing 2 damage to you.

I understand, when the confusion comes from.

If the text will be changed to " That attack is avoided. If it is avoided the attacker receives 2 direct damage:" it would be less confusing :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:58:14 AM by Boocheck »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 04:36:21 AM »
I think it is even worse: I think you have to reveal the card even if the attack is unavoidable.

Obviously you do not have to pay the reveal cost and if you don't the card is just discarded.

If you do pay the reveal cost, it is discarded as well, because of what Boocheck explained: Defenses do not work against unavoidable attacks. The 2 direct damage are part of the defense.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:30:44 AM »
Logically, I would agree with you guys, but technically, it is not specifically mentioned on the card.

On the card [mwcard=MW1E34]Reverse Attack[/mwcard] you have the phrase "The attack is avoided and then redirected..." which implies the need for the attack to be avoided first.

Later they even specifically mention: "If the attack is unavoidable, destroy reverse attack without effect"

Now on redirect:
"Redirect counts as a defence and must be revealed when this creature is attacked. That attack is avoided. The attacker receives 2 direct damage. Then, destroy Redirect."

There is a clear dot between the 2 effects, not implicating any link and afterwards there is no specification as with Reverse attack.

Thus: I think the attacker would still receive 2 damage as written now, but it was not meant to be like that.
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:40:55 AM »
I fully understand your argument. Mine counter argument would be rather stupid but if this enchantement should work like Eye for an Eye, it would not have a Defense trait and it would not be mentioned again in text, that this spell count as defense.

Also Reverse Attack, that is from arena, can be explainded because it works with steps of an attack. In Academy, there is not such thing. You just attack and roll :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 07:19:46 AM »
I totally agree that it would be "rather stupid" and I think you explain it perfectly how it was supposed to work.
But by just by looking at the rules, I'd say it still deals damage afterwards.

I don't really know Eye for an eye.  :P
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 07:29:28 AM »
I don't really know Eye for an eye.  :P

Eye for an Eye - 2/2 reveal - Retribution subtype - Holy Mage Only - Eye for an Eye can only be revealed before the Roll Dice Step of an attack. During the Damage and Effects Step the attacker suffers the same damage and effects as the defender. Then destroy Eye for an Eye.

:)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 07:50:23 AM »
Boocheck's original assumption is correct. It will not cause damage.

LEErrr

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 03:25:24 AM »
thank u ;)