April 26, 2024, 11:32:21 AM

Author Topic: Sardonyx- Ever used?  (Read 11260 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Re: Sardonyx- Ever used?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 09:24:32 AM »
In my opioun, Togorah and the whirling spirit are ok, but they need to be used in specific situations. Same thing with makunda. Psylock just sucks, although I know people have made some builds with them.
The Phoenix shall rise.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 12:08:57 PM »
Psylock just requires too much work for no return. If you could somehow get all 4 of them out and get someone stuck in a death pit full of them... you'd still only get 4 attacks at 8 dice total. Full round attacks... sigh... what were they thinking?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 12:22:53 PM »
Psylock just requires too much work for no return. If you could somehow get all 4 of them out and get someone stuck in a death pit full of them... you'd still only get 4 attacks at 8 dice total. Full round attacks... sigh... what were they thinking?
Its like how steelclaw cub and pellian lynx were released in the same set, One rocks one suck.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 12:39:36 PM »
Wow wow wow!  :o

The lynx does not suck at all!

He is not pest and has piercing. I like him more than the cub. In arena its worse because the rules are different though.

You should also remember, academy is still a game on its own. Some creatures are awesome in academy but suck in arena.

Examples: the fancy vampire or the combustion demon from the warlock. Or the sweeping dinosaur from the beastmaster.

Edit: we are really straying off topic. :p
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 12:43:28 PM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 12:46:50 PM »
I'm talking about arena.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 12:50:53 PM »
I'm talking about arena.

Yes, true. But it's unfair to give comments on a card out of the context. The lynx and the hound are the only level 1 non pests in academy, and if you don't want to build a heavy hound strategy, the lynx is the better choice.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 12:52:26 PM »
I agree. However, I cant speak much about academy, so all the comments I make are arena based.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 12:56:01 PM »
I agree. However, I cant speak much about academy, so all the comments I make are arena based.
In that context, yeah, its a pretty shitty option in arena  ;)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 03:15:03 PM »
I think Sardonyx's problem is that in the current meta he needs arcane support to effectively deal with his weaknesses. Enfeeble? Dispel. Disperse. Seeking Dispel. Banish? Nullify. Jinx. Arcane Ward. Enemy Mage tries to run away? Teleport. Teleport trap. What the dark school has going for it are Wall of Bones, Enfeeble, Chains of Agony and reassemble. I think it's been said in a Mage Wars Mondays podcast (dont remember which episode) that the sorcerer will be arcane/dark. That is the ideal training for a sardonyx build, I think.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 03:50:22 PM »
I really really like the giant wolf spider especially supported by a gorgon archer or another supporting creature. The spider is helped by some enchantments like bear strength.   Taints are really nice too especially if they able to stack.  Not sure if the spider would be viable in a tournament play but the few books that I built with him in...it has been pretty successful!

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 03:43:20 AM »
Probably the best way to use him:
[...]
Probably the best way to use Sardonyx is to convince your opponents it's a great card and make them include it in their spellbooks. And if anyone ever plays it: profit!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 06:28:05 PM »
I really really like the giant wolf spider especially supported by a gorgon archer or another supporting creature. The spider is helped by some enchantments like bear strength.   Taints are really nice too especially if they able to stack.  Not sure if the spider would be viable in a tournament play but the few books that I built with him in...it has been pretty successful!

Basilisk and gorgon is a nice combo all in arcane school that plays much the same way.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 07:43:03 PM »

Basilisk and gorgon is a nice combo all in arcane school that plays much the same way.

Yea i experienced fighting this combo and yea the basilisk cripples stuck several of my units including my mage for 2-3+turns.  fortunately I separated and walled off the Gorgon Archer him from her friends. 

it was rough and it brought new found respect for the slow reptile.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 08:12:07 PM »
I'm really curious about the Basilisk use! Do you use Akrio's Favor?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 08:33:59 PM »
Yea my opponent had a variety of creatures out on the board as I was building my small holy swat team.  His was mainly to keep my troops at bay as he had a wicked combo of a meteor wand and a teleport wand channeling 14 mana a turn.  He had a couple bad rolls as I was able to support and heal to keep Erhen alive throuhout the match.  Also setting off my disciples of radiance light attacks each time I healed.  Which was really effective.

Yea I would use akiro favor in my books when I would use the giant wolf spider so I could see how that would work with the Basilisk as well. I like the spider mainly because of his chance to taint,  the stuck is an added bonus.