April 16, 2024, 09:52:32 AM

Author Topic: My spellbook builder  (Read 239310 times)

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: My spellbook builder
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 08:04:52 PM »
Wow great job looking forward to trying this out.  Academy set would be nice so + 1 for support. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 04:15:39 AM »
I hope this builder gets localized for Germany, where people still do not have a spellbook builder. If you need help, just ask.

Some suggestions:

• Could you add search fields for level and casting cost?
  • Could you exclude cards that do not apply for the mage ("for dark mage only when configuring a Priest")?
  • Could you add a clear search button?
  • Now that the LOV for spell type has been fixed, could you also fix clicking the header to sort spells by type?
  • I cannot order the spells by cost by clicking on the header?
  • Could you add a clear book button (with confirmation)?
  • Could you add more slots?
  • Could you add a way to export/import a spellbook so you can pass it on to somebody to have a look? Perhaps as an URL so somebody can look at it and save it in one of his own slots if he likes it? This will also allow you to work on a book on multiple computers.
  • Could you add a hover/highlight current line feature, to clearly show which line the cursor is on? Especially on large monitors you have to travel to the right with your eyes carefully to read the stats. Highlighting the current line would help.
  • A "report errata" feature that allows people to report mistakes while searching or if a card has changed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 05:58:07 PM by Donovan »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 08:56:48 AM »
Been quiet for a few days. Had to concentrate on building a Priestess spellbook and wiping my friends Druid, and then (successfully) executing my plan. It consumed all my Mage Wars time :)

Uploaded a new version, changes:
 - added more slots
 - added highlight
 - added clear filter
 - added erase spellbook (with confirmation)
 - fixed spell data (found some errors while making a spellbook)

I hope this builder gets localized for Germany, where people still do not have a spellbook builder. If you need help, just ask.

Some suggestions:

I'm pretty sure we'll be translating to German at some point (sooner than later), project will most likely be open sourced on github before so anyone will be able to contribute.

To answer your suggestions:
1. At the moment it is no convenient due to the suboptimal way card data is organised. I need to rework this as I was lazy to do it when adding more data from different sources.
2. It is possible, but I like having them around
3. Did it
4. All sorting is done alphabetically, I like it like that :)
5. Answer to #1 applies here too
6. Did it
7. Did it (i plan to rework this and make it more flexible, use names instead of slots and enable adding as many as one wants)
8. To properly implement this some kind of server logic is needed and I don't have it at the moment. If it goes live with German community it will be a must have.
9. Did it
10. Answer to #8 applies here

Cheers

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 01:36:44 PM »
Your're a wizard! =;-)

My list grows smaller:

Some suggestions:

• It looks like the numbers saying how much copies you have of the base game and expansions is resetting every time I access the page?
  • Bug in Full Text Search: "Corrode" does not find the Goblin Alchemist?
  • Try your builder on an iPad. It looks like it is extremely difficult to click the + and - buttons.
  • Exclude cards that do not apply for the mage ("for dark mage only when configuring a Priest"). Perhaps with a checkbox?
  • Add "total cost", being card cost * number of cards (I know, not possible right now).
  • Change the order of the fields "slot" and "wizard". You select a slot and the wizard is set - not visa versa.
  • An overview page showing only the names of the cards and the amount of cards, sorted by Equipment, Conjurations, Creatures, Enchantment, Incantation, Attacks. That way you can grab a screenshot and post it somewhere.
  • Search fields for level and casting cost.
  • I like alphabetic ordering, but the order on card type would make more sense like you order them in your spell book. Normally that is: Equipment, Conjurations, Creatures, Enchantment, Incantation, Attacks.
  • Order the spells by cost by clicking on the header.
  • Even more slots? We've got 4 in the base game, and 8 in the expansions and 4 in Academy... =;-)
  • Add a way to export/import a spellbook so you can pass it on to somebody to have a look? Perhaps as an URL so somebody can look at it and save it in one of his own slots if he likes it? This will also allow you to work on a book on multiple computers and work on multiple variations of books.
  • A "report errata" feature that allows people to report mistakes while searching or if a card has changed.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 03:26:21 PM by Donovan »

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 07:24:20 PM »
This is really nice.  I did find that the spellbook points keep getting covered by the card art on my screen.  It would be very helpful if this could be moved to the top or bottom bar to be permanently visible.

Thanks for your great work on this.

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »
Didn't have much time so I only did what I could do easily.

- added more slots (@Donovan: not adding more slots this month :) )
 - moved spellbook up, just below mage/slot selection (@Moonglow: should work for you now)

@Donovan: searching for Corrode works as expected and finds Goblin Alchemist, can you please recheck this?

Next step is to get the code cleaned up and publish the code on GitHub.

Cheers

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 03:20:58 PM »
Confirmed: searching for "corrode" finds the Goblin Alchemist now.

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 09:36:01 AM »
Made another small update - sets you own are now stored and persist across sessions (as opposed to loading sets I own as "reasonable" defaults) :)

Meanwhile, work on multi language support is in progress.

Cheers

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 09:40:51 AM »
You are a wizard trained in the javascript school!

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 01:25:31 PM »
On this occasion I'd classify myself as warlord of trained in schools of c++ and js :)

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 06:08:12 AM »
This is great thanks, really like using it.

Didn't have much time so I only did what I could do easily.

- added more slots (@Donovan: not adding more slots this month :) )
 - moved spellbook up, just below mage/slot selection (@Moonglow: should work for you now)

@Donovan: searching for Corrode works as expected and finds Goblin Alchemist, can you please recheck this?

Next step is to get the code cleaned up and publish the code on GitHub.

Cheers

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »
As soon as there are included
- academy cards released so far
- import/export (safe data)
this is actually the best spellbookbuilder there is! Great work!!!

It is a bit clunky to use via mobile phone, but that doesn't really matter as long as it is complete. I like a lot that you included mage ability cards!

For better overview I would love to see the spells that are already added to a spellbook highlighted in some way. Bold card-count or color or something like that.

For your interest: personally I would not use slots a lot. Building spellbooks is a procedure. Some ideas take some time and development. This goes on the same time for different books and ideas. contemporaneous I might play some ready books. (And I have some promos and use proxies over unuseful cards.) But I see some people like Donovan like it.

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2016, 08:37:42 AM »
I didn't get much (visible) work done on my spellbook builder lately, but there is an improvement I included that most of you will like. Sorting by type no longer sorts alphabetically, it now sorts by spell type order most of us use in our spellbooks. Spells will also be sorted when you first open by type and name. Hope you like it :)

@bigfatchef: your spellbooks will persist across multiple sessions as long as you use the same computer. I prefer this way as it is non intrusive and "just works". It was also the easiest way of doing it without needing a script in the backend to generated and import files :D

Didn't really bother to make it work on a phone, I wanted to have something usable on a 13" laptop.

Cheers

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 03:23:07 PM »
Made another update, includes fixes for spell limits for some epic spells and fixed calculation for Druid.

I added support for PvS, scanned all the spells, entered all the data manually but I can't publish that without AW consent. I asked about it but did not get a yes or a no, they are currently considering their next steps regarding spellbook builder.

I'll put it online the moment they allow it, feel free to spam AW customer support and ask for it :)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 03:45:24 PM »
Spamming customer service will only bother Alfiya ;-). We're looking at our options and are looking to move forward. But with BGG this week it may be next week before we have anything concrete.