April 30, 2024, 12:14:19 AM

Author Topic: Mage wars in 2017  (Read 6905 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Mage wars in 2017
« on: August 05, 2016, 04:14:45 PM »
We have known for a very long time already that Paladin vs Siren was the next expansion and that each of the 4 core mages would receive an academy version in 2016. These expansions + Lost Grimoire make 2016 a very good year for mage wars already (even though I haven't seen them yet) and I was wondering what the future would bring.

Alternate mages:

- Alternate Wizard: wizard has been around since the beginning without an alternate version for balance issues. He has got an academy mage though and several seperate cards in other expansions. However, the latest changes make him weaker (which is good) and give him some room for growth.

- Alternate Forcemaster: Mind is a very small school and the forcemaster has been out since 2013! Chances are very large the male forcemaster is getting a release in 2017

- Alternate Druid: She is very strong in the current meta, and the nature school is huge already but there seem to be many people asking for a druid expansion and more plants.

- Alternate Necromancer: very possible, but compared to the other 3 mages I think this is unlikely.

I think alternate mages are very likely. My guess is Forcemaster vs Druid/wizard

Completely new mages
Since we will have just received Paladin vs Siren I think this is very unlikely.

A second domination expansion or The Archmage

More academy mages
I don't know if AW wants to make an academy version of every mage, but it is possible. Some mages however really seem horrible for academy. I don't see how a druid, forcemaster or even warlord could function in academy. I could see a necromancer work however.

- A forcemaster needs movement and very strong mind spells. There is no movement in academy
- A druid needs board control and rooted plants for balance. Without rooted, she is simply a better beastmaster.
- A Warlord needs his conjurations for his armies. You could have solo/buddy warlords, but then you lose most of the flavor of the warlords.

I don't know if they would want to expand academy for every mage. This will be extremely hard to balance and to keep the power creep reasonable.

What do you think 2017 will give us? What would you love to see? Is there anything known already?

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

EricTheGreat12

Re: Mage wars in 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 04:24:16 PM »
It will be Wizard/ForceMaster alternative set. They said that these alternatives would be available in 2013, so I think that it's long overdue.

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »
The six alternate mages would appear in 'themed expansion sets' if Arcane Wonders follows the same format as before. As for pairings of the mages... don't know...

* Paladin - Necromancer (with a dark vs holy theme)
* Druid - Siren (with anature/water swamp-theme)
* Forcemaster - Air Wizard (with a control and denial theme ...and a fear-condition)

I want a swamp druid and someone who got the PvS set mentioned a "swamp"-spell today on these forums...
If they plan to introduce the frost-condition, the might be pairing the Air Wizard with the Siren (Air and Water seems fitting for frost, no??), wich pairs the Forcemaster with the Druid in a control vs. very different control set...
More academy mages
I don't know if AW wants to make an academy version of every mage, but it is possible. Some mages however really seem horrible for academy. I don't see how a druid, forcemaster or even warlord could function in academy. I could see a necromancer work however.

- A forcemaster needs movement and very strong mind spells. There is no movement in academy
- A druid needs board control and rooted plants for balance. Without rooted, she is simply a better beastmaster.
- A Warlord needs his conjurations for his armies. You could have solo/buddy warlords, but then you lose most of the flavor of the warlords.

I don't know if they would want to expand academy for every mage. This will be extremely hard to balance and to keep the power creep reasonable.
I think I remember Laddin or someone else stating that for now there are no conjurations in academy, but that they might be introduced in later sets... They might be few and mage-only to not skew the balance and still make certain academy mages playable.

The Archmage set is a given, I think. It will probably include new ability cards for these 'epic' mages. I'm curious to see wich mages will be in the box, as there are 10 mage-classes to choose from. They set will have a bunch of cards of course and rules to build a 640 spellpoint archmage book. Extra terrain tiles would be nice too...

But realy...
I don't know. With all the stuff that will have been released in the second half of 2016, a bunch of people will need to digest all the new cards/combos/strategies/tactics...

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 05:18:04 PM »
A mounts expansion is in the works or at least is being considered so all our beloved mages may add a stead or ride a dragon or Phoenix.  This was talked about on a recent interview I believe.   :D
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »
A mounts expansion is in the works or at least is being considered so all our beloved mages may add a stead or ride a dragon or Phoenix.  This was talked about on a recent interview I believe.   :D
True.
It was revealed by mr. Pope in an interview and discused a little in this tread.
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=16904.0

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 06:23:33 PM »
It will be Wizard/ForceMaster alternative set. They said that these alternatives would be available in 2013, so I think that it's long overdue.

The male wizard was supposed to have some  levitate ability and the female wizard will, looking to windstorm and such, probably be focussed on wind spells. This could indeed be a very thematic and interesting set.

Maybe the mounts are included in another set instead of being a seperate set?
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Ganpot

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 11:38:36 PM »
the female wizard will, looking to windstorm and such, probably be focussed on wind spells.

There were a lot of rumors that the female wizard would possess some sort of time-related ability (the devs hinted that the details of her picture were important, and it features an hourglass). 

The mounts are almost definitely coming in a dedicated small set (similar to the lost grimoire).  I would have rather had them included in a larger set (such as alt Forcemaster vs Wizard), but for whatever reason Arcane Wonders have decided to make the mounts their own thing. 

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 12:45:26 AM »
the female wizard will, looking to windstorm and such, probably be focussed on wind spells.

There were a lot of rumors that the female wizard would possess some sort of time-related ability (the devs hinted that the details of her picture were important, and it features an hourglass). 

The mounts are almost definitely coming in a dedicated small set (similar to the lost grimoire).  I would have rather had them included in a larger set (such as alt Forcemaster vs Wizard), but for whatever reason Arcane Wonders have decided to make the mounts their own thing. 

Well, only "hints" were that when Scott "Tox" Morris saw her artwork, he immediatly ask about "one" particular thing. Time and Sand related abilites were theorycrafted from this point by fans because we never get to known what thing it was :)

I miss Tox...
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 01:53:36 AM »
Thee has been "alot" of talk about the Barbarian.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »

How about a Battlegrounds Expansion that features outdoor terrain and mounts so we can start building larger campaigns inside the world of Etheria?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 11:25:40 AM »
We have known for a very long time already that Paladin vs Siren was the next expansion and that each of the 4 core mages would receive an academy version in 2016. These expansions + Lost Grimoire make 2016 a very good year for mage wars already (even though I haven't seen them yet) and I was wondering what the future would bring.

Alternate mages:

- Alternate Wizard: wizard has been around since the beginning without an alternate version for balance issues. He has got an academy mage though and several seperate cards in other expansions. However, the latest changes make him weaker (which is good) and give him some room for growth.

- Alternate Forcemaster: Mind is a very small school and the forcemaster has been out since 2013! Chances are very large the male forcemaster is getting a release in 2017

- Alternate Druid: She is very strong in the current meta, and the nature school is huge already but there seem to be many people asking for a druid expansion and more plants.

- Alternate Necromancer: very possible, but compared to the other 3 mages I think this is unlikely.

I think alternate mages are very likely. My guess is Forcemaster vs Druid/wizard

Completely new mages
Since we will have just received Paladin vs Siren I think this is very unlikely.

A second domination expansion or The Archmage

More academy mages

What do you think 2017 will give us? What would you love to see? Is there anything known already?

Academy Forcemaster theorycrafting:

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=16279.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 06:47:43 PM »
I heard somewhere, might have been mage wars Mondays, that an upcoming set was slated for alt FM alt Wizard called Ballance of Power. Might not be a bad time for it now that the wizard is more on par with the rest of the crew. Mind needs a boost now i think.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 07:22:02 PM »
I heard somewhere, might have been mage wars Mondays, that an upcoming set was slated for alt FM alt Wizard called Ballance of Power. Might not be a bad time for it now that the wizard is more on par with the rest of the crew. Mind needs a boost now i think.

They never said it would be called Balance of Power in the MWM podcast. Wonder where you heard that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.