May 02, 2024, 12:01:28 AM

Author Topic: Transferring Limited Use Abilities  (Read 12511 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring Limited Use Abilities
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 08:01:16 AM »
The other thing I noticed and I might be wrong, but doesn't Akiro's Favor need to be revealed before the dice are rolled if you want to use it?

This was a recent topic of debate, with good arguments on both sides. The final decision, I believe, was that as long as it gets revealed before you apply the damage and effects you can reroll. It's not in the official documents yet, but I'll see if I can find the official statement and link to it.

Edit: I'm having trouble finding such a link. This issue may still be unresolved.

I remember having this discussion and I could have sworn that I'd said that as long as Akiro's Favor is revealed before the Damage and Effects stage, it can reroll the dice.

As for something like transferring Bear Strengths, yes that works. They are new instances of Melee +2.

As for things that say "once per round" or some set number of times per round, they'll keep track. So if you transfer them and they've already used up their set number of times per round, then they'll remain "used up" till the next round.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 10:22:19 AM »
The other thing I noticed and I might be wrong, but doesn't Akiro's Favor need to be revealed before the dice are rolled if you want to use it?

This was a recent topic of debate, with good arguments on both sides. The final decision, I believe, was that as long as it gets revealed before you apply the damage and effects you can reroll. It's not in the official documents yet, but I'll see if I can find the official statement and link to it.

Edit: I'm having trouble finding such a link. This issue may still be unresolved.

I remember having this discussion and I could have sworn that I'd said that as long as Akiro's Favor is revealed before the Damage and Effects stage, it can reroll the dice.

that's the last post from you on the topic:
With everything else going on with AW, Bryan and I haven't been able to talk about it yet. I have not forgotten this.

You promise?

Yes.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 10:25:10 AM »
As for something like transferring Bear Strengths, yes that works. They are new instances of Melee +2.
but the supplement says: "only on the first attack of the attack action"
if a BS arriving between two attacks works on the second one, it would be good to change it in: "only on the NEXT attack of the attack action"

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »
if a BS arriving between two attacks works on the second one, it would be good to change it in: "only on the NEXT attack of the attack action"

I think it's saying only the first attack that Bear Strength is reveled for.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 12:15:18 PM »

I believe it also says that if you gain more Melee +X that you can use those on later strikes. So, When I make a doublestrike attack and I gain Melee +X after the first strike, but before the second, I would use it on the second strike.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 09:02:20 PM »

As for things that say "once per round" or some set number of times per round, they'll keep track. So if you transfer them and they've already used up their set number of times per round, then they'll remain "used up" till the next round.

I remember you saying that too, but I haven't been able to locate it. You might have said it elsewhere besides the public forums maybe?

So, just to make sure I understand properly, are you saying that even if it's the SAME bear strength that it had on it previously, that transfering it off and back on again would allow it to benefit a second time? Meaning that the effect is tracked by the creature, falls off of the creature, and then get's reapplied, rather than following the enchantment around like the "once per round" enchantments. As I mentioned earlier, it's fine to have both rules in the game, but if this is what you're saying, how are we supposed to tell which enchantments follow which rule? Is this just something we'll have to memorize on a case by case basis?

Or perhaps I misunderstood and you're just referring to transferring a brand new bear strength onto the creature. In which case I agree completely with your assessment.

I believe it also says that if you gain more Melee +X that you can use those on later strikes. So, When I make a doublestrike attack and I gain Melee +X after the first strike, but before the second, I would use it on the second strike.

It does indeed.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 11:52:33 PM »

right!
i missed it: "it gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus"

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 05:27:36 AM »

With everything else going on with AW, Bryan and I haven't been able to talk about it yet. I have not forgotten this.

You promise?

Yes.
So this should be included in the supplement.

There are few instances where an enchantment can be revealed after a step (roll the dice) and impact the previous step that just took place (I.e. re-roll the dice). Essentially it allows a second Roll the Dice step of the Attack Action.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 07:42:06 AM »

You promise?

Yes.
So this should be included in the supplement.

There are few instances where an enchantment can be revealed after a step (roll the dice) and impact the previous step that just took place (I.e. re-roll the dice). Essentially it allows a second Roll the Dice step of the Attack Action.

Technically Akiro's Favor isn't effecting the previous step. It changes nothing about how you rolled those dice. This is having an effect on the Damage and Effects Step by allowing the reroll. I realize it's a lot of semantics.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 08:49:18 AM »
Technically Akiro's Favor isn't effecting the previous step. It changes nothing about how you rolled those dice. This is having an effect on the Damage and Effects Step by allowing the reroll. I realize it's a lot of semantics.

this was the loooooong discussion a few months ago...
now that we have an official ruling, it should be in the supplement.