April 20, 2024, 06:24:48 AM

Author Topic: Wizard and Wizard's Tower Errata  (Read 117496 times)

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard and Wizard's Tower Errata
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »
I like.
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2016, 04:21:18 PM »
[quote author=Sailor Vulcan
Totally agree with this assessment of the tower errata. And it's not that I dislike the errata on the wizard. It's that I'm not sure what to think of it yet.
[/quote]
You have said it yourself: there were four wizards in the game, one for each element. Now there's only one. Three mages have been removed from the game and the one that's left has a less powerful tower.

It's perfect!
:-)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2016, 12:33:02 AM »
it's a light erata on the wisard itself, and he still has a lot of qualities.
but it can be re-erated later (better than to come back on an erata).

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2016, 03:38:55 AM »
I dont have much acces to internet now, but I really like the errata! We might actually see the air school again.  ;D

And the tower adaptation is perfect. I probably would have added epic too, but I'm very happy that the spellbind is removed. Im not complaining.  :)

Thank you Aaron and the others! I really like both changes and Im glad air will not be "the forgotten element" anymore. The tower costs a turn to work and you will not be able to use a flamebast 5 turns in a row for free anymore. Thanks again! I'm also very happy that he cannot take all the best tricks from each school now.

Ps: I like how this will change the meta. Warlocks will have a sligtly easier time dealing fire damage with less dragonscale hauberks around.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 04:08:54 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2016, 07:03:31 AM »
I really wonder why no one used air wizard.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2016, 07:12:12 AM »

Because Water or Earth were more effective either SBP wise or Damagewise.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2016, 07:57:26 AM »
But a big stun case is really good.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2016, 08:28:11 AM »
But a big stun case is really good.

Most wizards included a few lightning spells, just a lot less than the other elements.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2016, 09:09:59 AM »
i'm really happy with Wiz errata. it is very good long term decission, simultaneously Wizard is still strong at this moment. i'm happy how this change will influence meta,  that some cards can be more used now. really good decission and very elegant.
About tower , i agree it was very strong and auto include in each Wiz spellbook. Now it will change, wonder how much people will use it :)

Exciting, good job!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »

Air wizard was my first mage! I brought it to Gen Con 2014. Here's an old link to it
---> http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14530.msg41101#msg41101
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2016, 10:06:29 AM »
The changes are nice and elegant. I am very excited about the new meta that will evolve. Great job AW.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2016, 12:13:23 PM »
Air hasnt had a ton of support to flesh out the school.  fire got expanded by 2 warlocks (and an academy warlock now), Earth got fleshed out more with 2 Warlords, Water is only just now being built on in a big way, but Water training has always been high value training because it lets you carry more staple spells like Dissolves (major value), Surging Waves, and Acid Balls.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2016, 12:53:41 PM »
Air hasnt had a ton of support to flesh out the school.  fire got expanded by 2 warlocks (and an academy warlock now), Earth got fleshed out more with 2 Warlords, Water is only just now being built on in a big way, but Water training has always been high value training because it lets you carry more staple spells like Dissolves (major value), Surging Waves, and Acid Balls.

Fire only added 1 Warlock in an expansion (first Warlock was base set), and it got far more Dark than Fire (probably so as not to benefit the Wizard too much).  Yes, Earth got 2 Warlords, which definitely made the Earth Wizard a lot stronger.  Water always had Dissolve, but it got a lot stronger as expansions came out: Surging Wave was in Kumanjaro, Acid Ball was in Druid vs Necro, and Crumble was in Academy.  I think it was Acid Ball that really tipped the scale towards Water, whereas Fire was probably strongest in the base set and Earth only became playable after Forcemaster vs Warlord.

Air got quite a lot of new cards in Academy: namely Azurean Genie and Lightning Raptor, and lots of attack spells that deal Stagger (Lightning Jolt, Forked Lightning, Piercing Thunderstrike, Voltaic Discharge).  And then there are all the (mostly Wind) Air cards in Domination: Windstorm, Sandstorm, Gale Force Ring, Bolt of V'tar.  Hopefully we'll get Staff of Storms (promo) in an expansion soon (perhaps Lost Grimoire?). On top of that, the Poison-related cards tend to be in the Air school, allowing an Air Wizard to have cheap access to some DoT cards (and nothing stops a Wizard from playing other DoT like Idol, Plagued, Magebane and Ghoul Rot).  Right now that just means Poison Gas Cloud, but I imagine Wall of Poison Gas might come out in the near future.  If so, it will help the Necromancer, but could also help an Air Wizard running a non-living "buddy" (could be a Zombie Brute or a Devouring Jelly or whatever).  And you can even use Raincloud to mitigate some of the damage to your own living creatures from effects like Idol, Plagued and Poison Gas Cloud.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:55:23 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2016, 01:56:20 PM »
I don't play competitive or at OCTGN enough to have something to say in this, but to me these changes are exactly what this game needed to get out of the wizard-and-tower-in-every-book-meta. I really looking forward to see what the community will come up with now.

Besides that, which I haven't seen been discussed in here yet, is that this will open up for future arcane & fire/earth/water mages. Now that slot isn't shut anymore. That to me is very interesting with this change.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »

Fire only added 1 Warlock in an expansion (first Warlock was base set), and it got far more Dark than Fire (probably so as not to benefit the Wizard too much).  Yes, Earth got 2 Warlords, which definitely made the Earth Wizard a lot stronger.  Water always had Dissolve, but it got a lot stronger as expansions came out: Surging Wave was in Kumanjaro, Acid Ball was in Druid vs Necro, and Crumble was in Academy.  I think it was Acid Ball that really tipped the scale towards Water, whereas Fire was probably strongest in the base set and Earth only became playable after Forcemaster vs Warlord.

Air got quite a lot of new cards in Academy: namely Azurean Genie and Lightning Raptor, and lots of attack spells that deal Stagger (Lightning Jolt, Forked Lightning, Piercing Thunderstrike, Voltaic Discharge).  And then there are all the (mostly Wind) Air cards in Domination: Windstorm, Sandstorm, Gale Force Ring, Bolt of V'tar.  Hopefully we'll get Staff of Storms (promo) in an expansion soon (perhaps Lost Grimoire?). On top of that, the Poison-related cards tend to be in the Air school, allowing an Air Wizard to have cheap access to some DoT cards (and nothing stops a Wizard from playing other DoT like Idol, Plagued, Magebane and Ghoul Rot).  Right now that just means Poison Gas Cloud, but I imagine Wall of Poison Gas might come out in the near future.  If so, it will help the Necromancer, but could also help an Air Wizard running a non-living "buddy" (could be a Zombie Brute or a Devouring Jelly or whatever).  And you can even use Raincloud to mitigate some of the damage to your own living creatures from effects like Idol, Plagued and Poison Gas Cloud.

Now that I think of it, people might start cleaning water is op after this expansion. There will be far more water creatures than any other element.
The Phoenix shall rise.