April 29, 2024, 07:36:21 PM

Author Topic: Lost Grimoire v1 SPOILERS  (Read 23487 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Grimoire v1 SPOILERS
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2016, 08:24:34 AM »
Trample attacks are neither ranged nor melee attacks. So you don't get any Melee +X traits.

Great call, but there is a picture of a sword in a red circle, in between the cool new trample action speed icon, and the 7 dice indicator. Looks exactly like the melee attack indicator on the attack just above. It could mislead a bunch of people, maybe new players, or returning players.

Regardless, super rad card. Warlords everywhere are cheering! Amazing flavor text, possible new meme material. I wish "short-lived success" for all my opponents.

The melee symbol is so that it triggers things like, counterstrikes and damage barriers. However, because it is a trample attack it DOES NOT get any bonuses based on being a ranged or melee attack.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2016, 10:09:28 AM »
Trample attacks are neither ranged nor melee attacks. So you don't get any Melee +X traits.

Great call, but there is a picture of a sword in a red circle, in between the cool new trample action speed icon, and the 7 dice indicator. Looks exactly like the melee attack indicator on the attack just above. It could mislead a bunch of people, maybe new players, or returning players.

Regardless, super rad card. Warlords everywhere are cheering! Amazing flavor text, possible new meme material. I wish "short-lived success" for all my opponents.

The melee symbol is so that it triggers things like, counterstrikes and damage barriers. However, because it is a trample attack it DOES NOT get any bonuses based on being a ranged or melee attack.

So [mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]Lion Savagery[/mwcard] wouldn't give it's Trample attack Piercing +1?

Cheetah Speed + Mongoose Agility for double Trample trouble!!

Actually, Ballad of Courage on a Titanodon seems like a no-brainer. Move out (Trample for 7 dice), then attack in your new zone with a Charge bonus for 7 dice (9 vs corporeal conjurations)!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2016, 10:22:52 AM »

Think of it as similar to Zone Attacks. All Zone Attacks quasi-ranged attacks, but they aren't your normal ranged attacks and have many rules unique to them. They don't benefit from all the same buffs as other ranged attacks, and they have innate benefits and limitations that normal ranged attacks do not.

In the same manner, Trample Attacks are quasi-melee attacks, but they aren't your normal melee attacks and have many rules unique to them. They won't benefit from Melee +X, or indeed anything that specifically benefits melee or ranged attacks. Like Laddin said, they don't actually count as Melee Attacks, despite them being an offshoot of melee attacks and having some things in common. I recommend looking over the full Codex description and rules for Trample whenever it gets released.

@iNano78
Lion Savagery indeed would not give it Piercing.

aridigas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »

Sadly, a creature can only Trample once per round.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2016, 11:50:01 AM »

It's also slow, so a Cheetah Speed would make it normal speed, so still only one Trample.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2016, 11:56:35 AM »
OMG!!!!! ITS AN ANIMAL!!! BEASTMASTER PET!!!!!!!!

While only a few warlords are even able to merely steer the beast in a direction, rumor has it that the late beastmaster Elalotos was able to make a great Elephant his pet companion.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2016, 01:00:03 PM »

:-[

It's also slow, so a Cheetah Speed would make it normal speed, so still only one Trample.

Last I checked, regular-speed creatures can double-move (assuming they aren't hindered - hence the Mongoose Agility) - but I was unaware of the "one trample per round" rule.

Still, Ballad of Courage for a Trample + Charge attack seems like a good idea.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2016, 01:06:40 PM »

:-[

Last I checked, regular-speed creatures can double-move (assuming they aren't hindered - hence the Mongoose Agility) - but I was unaware of the "one trample per round" rule.

Still, Ballad of Courage for a Trample + Charge attack seems like a good idea.

It is so good. It's gonna be a fun card to bring out in games. Also I believe in the review it says Trample can only happen once per round, but if it didn't have that restriction then a cheetah speed would allow it to be a double trample.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:08:13 PM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2016, 01:36:41 PM »

Doh! I get you...

Ganpot

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2016, 07:05:02 PM »

Just to clarify, using Force Push to move a creature with Trample also wouldn't trigger the ability, correct?  (And I'm aware that the Titanodon has the Unmoveable trait, I'm just asking in general.)  Trample can only be triggered by a move action which the creature itself initiates?

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2016, 11:04:37 PM »

Just to clarify, using Force Push to move a creature with Trample also wouldn't trigger the ability, correct?  (And I'm aware that the Titanodon has the Unmoveable trait, I'm just asking in general.)  Trample can only be triggered by a move action which the creature itself initiates?

In order to perform a trample attack, you must make a move action.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2016, 12:11:44 AM »
Nevermind...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:35:57 AM by Puddnhead »