April 25, 2024, 11:15:17 PM

Author Topic: Adramelech Warlock  (Read 10274 times)

EricTheGreat12

Adramelech Warlock
« on: May 30, 2016, 10:23:49 AM »
I really don't understand the hate surrounding this mage

Her +1 Flame against each enemy creature with a curse, plus the fireshaper ring that gives another +1 flame, with a deck filled with fire attacks and the Lash of Hellfire, is a complete killer against enemy mages. She seems to act like a rusher with her attacks, and if used properly, she can maim the opponent  mage with curses and then kill him/her off progressively with fire attacks. She can of course be defeated like any other mage, but the player needs the skills in order to play this mage properly.

What do you guys think?

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Adramelech Warlock
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 10:20:28 PM »
I think sharkbait should field this question.    :D

I am still too busy putting out flames from our last gencon match....

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 11:05:14 PM »
This mage is awesome, but she's my favorite so I'm a little biased  8)

For starters, here are older versions of my main book. Trogdor, The Burninator

These books are both now out of date quite a bit, but they are relevent for going through the development of learning to play this mage. Another good resource is Schwenkgott's Face Melter

Trogdor from GenCon 2015 and the Facemelter are really similar in style. They didn't start to diverge until the Thunderdome II book, but I was able to use the book to make it into the American Bracket Finals.
Here's Match 1,Match 2, and the American Bracket Finals.

I've been taking a semi break from playing her since the Thunderdome II so I can expand my horizons a bit. I didn't even bring her out for the ADMW Open. Looking at the results of the tournament, I'm still fairly niche in my ability to just play the dark mages well :P.

All of that being said, I've been working on updating Trogdor for GenCon 2016 and the League of Extraordinary Mage Warriors that's running, though I don't think the book is quite ready yet. She'll be making an appearance in competitive play again though, and it will probably be sooner than later. I can go more in depth on lessons learned as well, and promise I'll be doing a MageCast on Trogdor. I have that one slated for after GenCon 2016 though lol.

Overall, The Adramelech Warlock takes a bit of finesse to play properly. Some of the things that work well for other mages don't work well for her and vice versa. You kind of have to walk a fine line of aggression without overextending. If you go too aggressive too fast, your opponent just needs to survive the onslaught. If you take too long to build up, you have limited tools to make up ground. I still like playing her over every other mage.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:31:49 PM by SharkBait »
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 01:43:36 PM »
Adramelech Warlock is simply amazing.

I've noticed that waiting and trying to break even with the creature game is better for me. If you can get those zombie brutes to field most of the damage it will buy you time to deliver the deathballs. I would highly suggest using explode against leather armor as if you curse them then the 5 dice and a 5+chance to burn and removing a piece of equipment is worth the 8 mana cost (and it costs the same as a dissolve spellbook wise). My favorite curse with Adramelech is Marked for Death with the creature build I've been running.
 If you want to post up a book for your Warlock, maybe we could all look at it and give some ideas! If you don't have one maybe we could help with that too
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:45:39 PM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 07:52:11 AM »
I've got a book but unfortunately I don't have it with me, but for shure I'll post it later :)

Thing though Coshade is that if you go straight to the enemy mage and then put a curse like Ghoul Rot , Magebane or Chains of Agony on him/her during the first few turns, you won't need to deploy demons or any other creatures. If the enemy mage starts on casting a lot of creatures than this strategy might be different, but the whole point of the game is to kill the enemy mage, so you can either kill the mage quickly and efficiently or enjoy the game and spawn more creatures, which can make the game more interesting

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 04:46:04 PM »
I think that this is the Mage that gave me the most trouble, mostly in terms of how to balance her book, but also related to how to play her. I couldn't find the right mix of Demons, curses, and flame attacks dialed in when I tried that one time, and had a hard time knowing when to go more offensive or defensive.

Still, I think she is a good one to play... I'm just not very good with her personally. Just saying that it might take a bit of time to tweak her book if you aren't used to playing her.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 08:32:25 PM »
I've got a book but unfortunately I don't have it with me, but for shure I'll post it later :)

Thing though Coshade is that if you go straight to the enemy mage and then put a curse like Ghoul Rot , Magebane or Chains of Agony on him/her during the first few turns, you won't need to deploy demons or any other creatures. If the enemy mage starts on casting a lot of creatures than this strategy might be different, but the whole point of the game is to kill the enemy mage, so you can either kill the mage quickly and efficiently or enjoy the game and spawn more creatures, which can make the game more interesting

Blowing up your opponent is an awesome way to play her! Going straight for the throat is very strong against unsuspecting opponents.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 01:13:30 PM »
Sorry for the long delay; I was just finishing highschool so I had a lot on my plate the last few months.

But anyways, on a positive note, I would like to show you my spells for the Adramelech Warlock  ;D

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Adramelech Warlock[/spellbookname]
[mage]Adramelech Warlock[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1a05]2 x  Firestorm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a12]2 x  Ring of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a06]2 x  Flameblast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a04]2 x  Fireball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA01]4 x  Devil's Trident[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1w03]2 x  Wall of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j17]1 x  Pentagram[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j06]1 x  Gate to Hell[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j20]1 x  Sacrificial Altar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j19]1 x  Deathlock[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC08]2 x  Infernian Scourger[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC02]4 x  Blood Demon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c17]1 x  Goran, Werewolf Pet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC11]1 x  Sersiryx, Imp Familiar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c01]1 x  Adramelech, Lord of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC04]1 x  Cerberus[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC13]4 x  Wildfire Imp[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c15]2 x  Firebrand Imp[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e14]2 x  Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]2 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e04]2 x  Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e09]2 x  Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]2 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e24]1 x  Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE03]1 x  Arcane Corruption[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE02]2 x  Circle of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE01]2 x  Adramelech's Touch[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q10]1 x  Fireshaper Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q14]1 x  Lash of Hellfire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q05]1 x  Demonhide Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ02]1 x  Bloodfire Helmet[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI01]2 x  Combustion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI05]2 x  Ignite[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 115 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

ps: Also had Debilitate in there but they unfortunately didn't have it in the online card library
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:15:07 PM by EricTheGreat12 »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 01:21:38 PM »

Blowing up your opponent is an awesome way to play her! Going straight for the throat is very strong against unsuspecting opponents.

For this Mage the keyword when it comes to 0-1 creature rushes being "unsuspecting". Playing like that makes her demonic reward ability useless. I would say run at least 3 demons.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 01:36:04 PM »
I have a few concerns with this book, Maybe you can iron them out for me? I know that you are a warlock, and your main concern is killing the enemy mage, but what are you going to do when you yourself get enfeebled? Or ghoul rotted? Or literally any other curse? DOT will straight up murder you as you have no way of removing anything. You've got no position control a la force push or teleport, so a death pit will be nigh inescapable for you. You have only 2 unavoidable attacks so force masters are going to be a tough run for you. You've only got one mana producer (pentagram) and your creatures are really high cost, im concerned you won't have the mana to support them after round 3.

All in all the ideas are solid and id like to see it in action, i just think you might want to put a few contingencies in there. Id consider dispel, explode/dissolve, teleport and force push, maybe a nullify if you don't want to get ported around the arena. Still its up to you and i hope you're having a blast!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »

For this Mage the keyword when it comes to 0-1 creature rushes being "unsuspecting". Playing like that makes her demonic reward ability useless. I would say run at least 3 demons.

True, but considering that good demons can be mana expensive as well as her ability being useful, but not powerful, I would say that the Demonic Reward could be put aside for some games.

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 01:52:52 PM »
I have a few concerns with this book, Maybe you can iron them out for me? I know that you are a warlock, and your main concern is killing the enemy mage, but what are you going to do when you yourself get enfeebled? Or ghoul rotted? Or literally any other curse? DOT will straight up murder you as you have no way of removing anything. You've got no position control a la force push or teleport, so a death pit will be nigh inescapable for you. You have only 2 unavoidable attacks so force masters are going to be a tough run for you. You've only got one mana producer (pentagram) and your creatures are really high cost, im concerned you won't have the mana to support them after round 3.

All in all the ideas are solid and id like to see it in action, i just think you might want to put a few contingencies in there. Id consider dispel, explode/dissolve, teleport and force push, maybe a nullify if you don't want to get ported around the arena. Still its up to you and i hope you're having a blast!

Indeed, Mage Wars is a game that can be interpreted/played a variety of different ways, all of them being unique in their various situations. I would have to say that one of my personal pet peeves is that I am very straightforward in this kind of lore. While I tend to have as much fun as possible making these decks, I just can't put , for example, a skeleton in the Priestess deck, as it just wouldn't seem right to me. Even though you legally can, it just doesn't feel right.

On the other hand, I understand that I don't have a lot of cards that would let me counter other mages. But, keep in mind, the only other player I have is my dad, so I know that he tends to spam creatures early on in the game just to prolong the game, so I know that he tends to not follow/take care of the magea as well as he should. He also prefers a longer/funner game, so he hates it that I try to kill his mage immediately, but heck, it's fun to watch him panic  ;D