April 16, 2024, 03:17:55 PM

Author Topic: Unlucky usage of terms - something to correct in a future version?  (Read 4617 times)

Donovan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Hi. I'd like to make a remark that a lot of you will likely resist to with all might, because it would cause a lot of hassle if you agree.  8)

But I think I am right.

In the codex and rule book it was hard for me to understand the concept of attacks etc. I think the reason is that the word "attack" is being used as a synonym for 2 different concepts. Firstly "attack" can mean an "attack action". And secondly an "attack" can mean a single strike within an attack action.

To correct this, only attack and attack action should be handled as synonyms. And an attack would then consist of one or more "strikes". This definition is very intuitive, because those things are already called "counterstrike" or "double/tripple strike". If you search in the rulebook / codex for "attack", you will see that in almost all cases "attack" is being used as "attack action" as is the case on most cards.

But if you then read the section on attacks, it becomes very fuzzy, because now the strikes inside the attacks are also called attacks. Now definitions for a defence for example become very fuzzy:

"Some Defenses show an infinity symbol (∞). These Defenses can be used every time that creature is attacked, but can be used only one time per attack.".

So what does the last "attack" mean here? The entire attack action or a strike?

My suggestion for a future version of the game would be to use "attack" and "attack action" as synonyms and define a "strike" as what happens inside the attack.

Step 4 should then for example be called "4: Avoid Strike", because it is not really about avoiding an entire attack (action), it is about avoiding a strike inside the attack (action).

Another example: The definition of Melee +x would become:

"Melee +X
This creature gains +X attack dice when it makes a melee attack. If the attack makes multiple strikes, it gains this bonus only for the first strike it can make with this bonus. Does not grant a melee attack if this creature does not have one. Does not affect ranged attacks, damage barriers, or other non-melee attacks."

...instead of (old):

"Melee +X
This creature gains +X attack dice when it makes a melee attack. If the attack makes multiple attacks during the same attack action, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus. Does not grant a melee attack if this creature does not have one. Does not affect ranged attacks, damage barriers, or other non-melee attacks."

I guess you do not even have to change card texts, because in 99% of the cases when "attack" is being used, what is really meant is an "attack action".

If this is not correct this way, the only option to gain full clarity would be to maintain "attack" and "strike" as synonyms and replace all occurrences of "attack" with "attack action". But that will probably mean more work and will be much more confusing.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid