April 27, 2024, 06:38:17 PM

Author Topic: Paladin vs Siren Spoilers  (Read 377305 times)

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Paladin vs Siren Spoilers
« Reply #555 on: September 04, 2016, 05:24:23 AM »
Why does elephant grass have life if it's terrain?

Well it makes sense thematically. You can't get rid of a pool of water or a hill by attacking it, but you can cut (or burn) a bunch of grass.
Attack a hill with a shovel and You can level it or use a meteorite and do it faster. ;)

Not all meteorites have enough mass and momentum to level the hill by the time they get through the atmosphere.
[mwcard=MWBG1A03]They don't get through the atmosphere. You just hurl them.[/mwcard]
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Head over feels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 01, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »
Still really wish that the Siren got a Siren themed channeling boosting conjuration like Mana Flower

Mana Anemone (Mananemone)
CONJURATION: mana, aquatic
Cost:6    Quick Cast    Targeting: 0-1 Zone with aquatic terrain attached   Water level 1
0 armor
9 life

Zone Exclusive, Living, Regenerate 1
Lightning +2, Hydro Immunity

Controller gains Channeling +1
Controller gains Channeling +2 when they have initiative

Changing the terrain of Mananemone's zone to any type other than aquatic costs 4 additional mana, but will destroy the Mananemone.

Mananemone's major con is its requirement to be cast in aquatic terrain, but you'll likely have that slapped around anyways. The pros are its dissuasion factor that makes the Siren's opponent have to shell out extra mana to take away her aquatic terrain, and that it essentially gives the Siren channeling +1.5. She gets more mana on the turns when she has initiative, allowing her to get the most out of items like Ring of Tides.

Thematically I gave it a weakness to lightning spells because electricity and water don't get along very well.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"I have crabs." - Shoalsdeep Siren

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #557 on: November 01, 2016, 02:49:40 PM »
Thematically I gave it a weakness to lightning spells because electricity and water don't get along very well.

Something I never thought about until now....

Doesn't make sense that any kind of aquatic terrain doesn't give Lighting +2 to enemies inside that zone, although they had a similar problem dealing with Burn tokens and water terrain.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 01, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »
Doesn't make sense that any kind of aquatic terrain doesn't give Lighting +2 to enemies inside that zone, although they had a similar problem dealing with Burn tokens and water terrain.

The Lightning affinity traits  make no sense whatsoever anyway. Even if we ignore Faraday cage effects, things like Wall of Steel should be Lightning Immune, not  +2, and probably Iron Golem too.

But yes, Aquatic out to give +2 to living non-flying creatures in the zone.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Paladin vs Siren Spoilers
« Reply #559 on: November 01, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »

The Lightning affinity traits  make no sense whatsoever anyway. Even if we ignore Faraday cage effects, things like Wall of Steel should be Lightning Immune, not  +2, and probably Iron Golem too.

But yes, Aquatic out to give +2 to living non-flying creatures in the zone.

Furthermore lightening always moves on the easiest path. To control lightning and direct it any way you want without a circuit should also be impossible. I would just pretend that a lightening attack is actually a missile or bullet made of magic, and the magic is fueling the electricity. Or maybe harshforge is weak to electricity, and most metals and earth have traces of harshforge in it. Maybe their version of steel is actually a harshforge-steel alloy. It would explain why the ground in Etheria isn't wildly more unstable then the ground on earth, even though Etheria has the kind of magic that you would expect to have warping effects on the environment. I imagine that the Grand Arena floor has a lot of harshforge underneath it, so that while people can cast enchantments and stuff on the cobblestone surface as well as on the dirt underneath that, the harshforge underneath the dirt keeps the arena floor from being ruined beyond repair. They just have to "repave" the harshforge with a new layer of dirt and cobblestone every now and then.

Of course this would probably make thunderstorms in Etheria be very different than on Earth. It means that in Etheria, either lightning strikes would happen in the opposite direction (from the ground to the sky) or that lightning is positively charged, or more likely, that lightning in thunderstorms are also fueled by magic. In other words the gods control the weather, or at least power it.

So, to summarize, if steel in Etheria is weak to electricity instead of resistant or immune, then one possibility is that harshforge is weak to electricity and that Etherian "steel" is actually a steel-harshforge alloy. If so, then it follows that Etheria must have weather gods. Or maybe there's something weirder going on...like some unconscious remnant of the Elemental Lord of Air is controlling thunderstorms. That would explain why things that get struck by lightning don't seem to have been intentionally or consciously targeted, but also why lightning strikes still go in the same direction as on earth despite their steel and earth being weak to electricity.

Or maybe it's something else entirely. It could be that lightning bolts in Etheria are generated by some other material than just pure magic. Maybe magically-charged and condensed air? If you condense air enough the water in it might start to get really cold. Maybe lightning bolts have tiny magically charged pieces of ice in them. The magic continuously generates the ice and sustains the electricity, and that ice absorbs mana from the surrounding environment and then shatters from the build up of heat, releasing more magic in a feedback loop. Of course it would make more sense if instead of ice, it was the same material that mana crystals were made of, and lightning bolts formed from magically charged, condensed and *dehydrated* air.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:14:14 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 02, 2016, 12:56:40 AM »
Or you just accept that the electricity in mage wars is movie-electricity. Using every misconception about electricity just as in most movies.
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 02, 2016, 05:32:35 AM »
Lightning follows the easiest way to the ground. If there is a wall of steel a thunderbolt would probably hit it but not always.

So if there are 2 enemy creatures next to me, one of them with a lightning+2 trait and i can fire 4 dice or 4+2 dice with lightning attack I am in many times more willing to get 2 for free. But not always for strategic reasons.

Summary: in both cases a lightning attack will more likely hit something that attracts lightnings. The lightning+2 trait is kinda working correct from the effect point of view.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 02, 2016, 06:52:24 AM »
More likely to hit ≠ more damage.  :P

Also, the if you want to include the shortest path, it is provably straight to the ground instead of moving through the air horizontally to the wall.

A wall of steel will not be damaged at all by lightning just as the steel lightning attractors on big buildings are not damaged by the lightning.

But this topic has been talked about enough previously. I kinda like the movie-lightning for gameplay.
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Paladin vs Siren Spoilers
« Reply #563 on: November 02, 2016, 07:41:58 AM »
Or you just accept that the electricity in mage wars is movie-electricity. Using every misconception about electricity just as in most movies.

But where's the fun in that? Besides, this way the Wizards of Sortilege actually have something to study instead of just spouting nonsensical techno-babble for no reason. Also you have to admit that my fan-theory provides a thematic reason for why wizards have air training rather than some other element, since it postulates a fundamental connection between lightning and magic.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:51:30 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Head over feels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 03, 2016, 07:45:52 PM »
Wait I have a question about grapple...
When the grappler moves does it take its prey with it?
Did it say anything about that in the post about the Kraken?
I'll read it again...

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 03, 2016, 07:46:54 PM »
Wait I have a question about grapple...
When the grappler moves does it take its prey with it?
Did it say anything about that in the post about the Kraken?
I'll read it again...

I don't think you can move while grappling.

Head over feels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 03, 2016, 07:47:33 PM »
Ya no you get restrained and unmovable, just found out.

Santar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 22, 2017, 05:52:38 PM »
Sorry for the foolish question:
Siren has two sharks by 5 mana each. How decide which one is the strongest, Siren or Paladin?

In cases of a tie, the controller of the strongest effect may choose which object it applies to.
Who controller in my case? :)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 22, 2017, 07:44:16 PM »
Whoever controls the effect that references the "strongest" creature. So, if I control a creature that gets a bonus on melee attacks against the strongest creature and there's a tie, I get to choose which one's strongest. If you control an effect that gives the strongest creature a defense, and there's a tie, then you get to choose which one gets the defense.

The creature chosen must be one of the ones that were tied, obviously.

Santar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 22, 2017, 08:09:09 PM »
Thanks for answer.

Can I change "the strongest creature"? For example: I have 2 Knights of the Red Helm (A and B) and my opponent has 2 creatures of the same mana cost (creatures C and D). At the same round my knight A attack creature C and get melee +2 because I choose that the strongest creature is C. Then in the same round my knight B attack creature D and I want name him now the strongest creature. Can I do this? Or I must choose the strongest once and wait until my opponent summon 3ed creature of the came mana cost?

PS new mages are awesome!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:11:13 PM by Santar »