March 28, 2024, 07:08:21 AM

Author Topic: The Daze Condition, Blindness and Line of Sight (LOS)  (Read 6383 times)

Skra

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
The Daze Condition, Blindness and Line of Sight (LOS)
« on: November 13, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »
Hello,

My name is Skra and I've been lurking this forum for over two years now. I am currently creating a new spellbook and I have stumbled upon a conundrum that has me stumped. I have searched for a ruling about my conundrum in the forums and I have failed to find it. I offer my apologies in advance if this subject has already been discussed.

According to the Codex, a dazed creature can be temporarily blind.

Daze (Condition Marker) - "Creature is disoriented and/or blinded."
http://www.arcanewonders.com/resources/Mage_Wars_Complete_Codex.pdf

According to the Mage Wars Official Rules and Codex Supplement, you must be able to see in order to target.

Targeting - "1) You must be able to “see” the object – trace LoS (Line of Sight) to the object.
http://www.arcanewonders.com/resources/Mage_Wars_Official_Rules_and_Codex_Supplement.pdf

My Questions:
If the Daze condition can cause blindness, when is the blindness trait of the Daze condition triggered?

There are some spells that cause the Daze condition by using Light. Can the Light subtype trigger the blind condition as defined by Daze in the Codex? For example, if I cast Pillar of Light on the enemy Mage and score a Daze/Stun when I roll, would not that Mage now be blind in accordance with the "and/or blind" segment of the the Daze condition definition? If it was light that caused my opponent's Mage to become dazed, how could he then target me if he theoretically can't see?

Why was the "and/or blind" phrase of the Daze condition included in the codex if a blindness mechanic was not intended?

I love this game. It is by far the best board game I have ever played. If no ruling has been made regarding this matter, I believe an opportunity exists to add a new level of complexity to the game. All it would take to implement a blindness mechanic would be a simple ruling: "The Light subtype causes blindness when a Daze/Stun is successfully rolled while using it", or something like that. Being able to use the Light sub-type to blind your opponent and prevent them from targeting would be HUGE and a lot of fun. All of the components for implementing this mechanic are already in place. You already have the Line of Sight mechanic, the Light subtype and the word blind is already written in the Daze definition.

All that's left to implement this mechanic is a ruling.
It'd be a lot cooler if you did...

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: The Daze Condition, Blindness and Line of Sight (LOS)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 01:01:05 PM »
Many of the rules and definitions found in the Codex begin with a short descriptor. This is one of those cases. There is no actual blindness mechanic and Daze does not affect targeting in any way. The sentence that is giving you trouble is just describing what Daze is supposed to be in a thematic sense, and has no actual mechanical bearing.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: The Daze Condition, Blindness and Line of Sight (LOS)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 01:07:50 PM »
I think they just meant blinded as in "after-looking-at-the-sun-blinded" when your eyes see bulbs of yellow. Because of this decreased vision you have a 1 in 2 chance of missing the attack. I don't think they meant completely blind. (black)

the disoriented part is for if you get a hard pound on the head and you feel dizzy for a few seconds.

The same mechanic for different situations. They already have the mechanic.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.