April 28, 2024, 02:13:41 PM

Author Topic: MAGE CAST 8  (Read 11073 times)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: MAGE CAST 8
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 03:45:24 PM »
Its been called a Canser deck by one of the victims here  :-X

If your oponent is casting 2½ creatures each round its pretty hard to deal without counters.

Lair+W Faerie and Ring of Beast - gives you 13 mana/ round - so you could pump out 3 creatures/round  :D

The best way to deal with swarms is [mwcard=MW1J21]Suppression Orb[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1J16]Mordok's Obelisk[/mwcard]. Granted this was a meta back in 2013!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »
[mwcard=FWA03]Hail of Stones[/mwcard] can be quite nasty against a low-level swarm, yes the larger the better......

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 04:28:55 PM »
[mwcard=FWA03]Hail of Stones[/mwcard] can be quite nasty against a low-level swarm, yes the larger the better......

Or [mwcard=MW1A03]Electrify[/mwcard].  Or may Akiro help swarm players if Altar of Peace ever gets printed in an official expansion.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 11:14:21 PM »
Swarm isn't playable because there are lots of easy counters -> as a result nobody actually carries swarm counters in their books -> swarms viable again.   :)

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 02:23:48 AM »
Swarm isn't playable because there are lots of easy counters -> as a result nobody actually carries swarm counters in their books -> swarms viable again.   :)

From a competitive perspective....
Beginners and fun-only-gamers love swarm builds as they bring action to the board.
Also if nobody would play swarms then nobody would carry around counters. This would make a good surprising swarm effective again.

All in all I an looking forward to those level 2 demons and holy creatures coming. They will bring some fun.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 08:21:09 AM »
I just had a crazy thought: What if there's an enchantment coming that grants a creature the Intercept trait?!

Suddenly White Cloak Knight can protect his entire zone (e.g. your mage or whatever) from non-Zone attack spells.  Perhaps that's why he's worded as he is.  That is, he could have been worded that he "can't be the target of attack spells" - but instead, they went with making him immune to the damage and effects, allowing him to still be the target.  Normally these would be equivalent, since you wouldn't choose to target him if there is another legal target... but what if there isn't another legal target in his zone because he's on Guard and has Intercept?!?!

And aside from the obvious combo with White Cloak Knight, an Intercept enchantment would be a pretty strong counter to Wizard's Tower, along with other ranged attack creatures and conjurations - even Ballista would become less powerful if I could give any (living? corporeal?) creature the Intercept trait.

Perhaps it will be another Nature enchantment like "Cat Reflexes" or "Gecko Hands" or "Eye of the Tiger" or "Spidey Senses."  ;)

Or maybe a War enchantment (targeting any Corporeal creature): "Bravery", "Kungfu skills", "Grabby Fingers."  ;)

(I imagine it would probably in an Arena expansion, though, as Intercept isn't as useful in Academy)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:32:44 AM by iNano78 »

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 08:45:36 AM »
I could see an intercept enchantment being holy - something like Martyrdom's Oath or something to show sacrifice. Cool idea Nano!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 11:20:17 AM »
Or maybe a War enchantment (targeting any Corporeal creature): "Bravery", "Kungfu skills", "Grabby Fingers."  ;)
I would go with Judo Chop! I keep telling Arron if he gives me that, I will add in sound effect for that one attack in OCTGN with Austin Powers shouting it...no buy in so far.... :)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 11:27:36 AM »
I would go with Judo Chop! I keep telling Arron if he gives me that, I will add in sound effect for that one attack in OCTGN with Austin Powers shouting it...no buy in so far.... :)

We were really close with that monk...

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »
I could see an intercept enchantment being holy - something like Martyrdom's Oath or something to show sacrifice. Cool idea Nano!

Would that even be balanced? Then again, it probably would be with the dissipate 1 trait. Probably would be one of those spells whose reveal cost changes with the target's level. It would probably be a level 2 holy enchant. And it would probably do something else in addition to giving intercept. It would be cool if they had something like this.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »

Would that even be balanced? Then again, it probably would be with the dissipate 1 trait. Probably would be one of those spells whose reveal cost changes with the target's level. It would probably be a level 2 holy enchant. And it would probably do something else in addition to giving intercept. It would be cool if they had something like this.

Not sure what you mean.  If Eagle Wings had a reveal cost of 0, it wouldn't be "balanced."  Such a card would simply need an appropriate spell point cost and reveal cost - just like every other card in the game.  I was thinking of a permanent Intercept ability, similar to the other stronger enchantments (like the ones that grant Melee +X, Fast, Flying, Elusive, Fast, etc).  Notice that Intercept doesn't do anything unless the creature is Guarding, so it isn't as versatile as most of those, and should have a cost that corresponds to being conditional.  Maybe a reveal cost of 2, or 1 for a Minor creature (?).