April 28, 2024, 11:47:29 PM

Author Topic: Has Wall of Thorns been fixed?  (Read 9495 times)

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Has Wall of Thorns been fixed?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »
If you get hit by this, it's generally poor play on your part allowing it (and you should expect any opposing book to either strip or ignore your armour).

I disagree here. A clever opponent could bait and switch. Stripping an opponents armour is a matter of course. Ergo you can engineer a turn where their mage has zero armour and you invest mana for the kill. This is not bad play this may well be bad instincts however. This has more a shock value now due to it cycling out of the meta.

Personally I'd rather hurl rocks.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Has Wall of Thorns been fixed?
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 05:38:46 PM »
Wall of Thorns push combo is 10 dice for 11 mana, or with jet stream instead of force push its 12 dice for 9 mana. However, it's easily countered by even one point of armor, or the unmovable trait. And jet stream has a chance of not pushing. Compare to attack spells like hurl rock (5 dice for 4 mana) which is less mana costly for the amount of damage it is likely to do than wall of thorns push combo is.

Two hurl rocks is 10 dice for 8 mana and doesn't require as much setup.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 09:04:36 AM »
What he is saying is sure, put on that bit of armor, thw wot mage simply removes that somehow and you are back where you started essentially vulnerable. so yo prevent that you have to prep protection again. which the wot mage is going to remove yet again. so the concern is how deep to have protection.

the solution is to have some depth, which could be some of the mentioned approaches. one round, double protect, so the wot mage has to counter both. one should always be un unrevealed enchantment. because now the wot has to be concerned it is a nullify. by dbl protection, you get a chance to see what he does. allows you a break to forward your own strategy. learning how to play aginst the wot mage really elevates your strngth as a player because it helps you learn tactics. that is a real improvement for a player. it helps you look at the game differently than the casual player. you have to think a few rounds ahead.

forge, armor, eagle boots, nullify.   are just a few of the protection options. and most of those are useful against all mages, not just a wot. so your one qrtr spb is not accurate, since some protections are more generally useful than just against one build.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 09:10:59 AM »
The main thing in my opinion is don't rely on a single +2 Armor piece of equipment. It can easily be dissolved and you're back at 0 Armor, if you have 2 pieces of +1 Armor or any permutation like this it becomes very difficult to pull this trick off, and if you were to keep a third item lined up, like a hidden Brace Yourself, you pretty are now pretty well inoculated. The nice as thing that even though you hare spent 2-3 actions to counter the WoTP, the solution is viable through the rest of the game and really helps against other forms of spiked damage.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:48:25 AM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 09:16:51 AM »
agreed. multi layer your protection. then you buy time for other than ngs. then pay attention to what gets removed by the opponent.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 01:59:24 PM »
I agree that a multi-tiered defense is usually the best bet, but in my mind Acid Ball is a bigger threat than Dissolve for your armors.  It can be spammed from Wizards Tower (or a wand) and always removes at least 1 point, sometimes 2 (which can result in 1 action "removeing" 2 actions of leathers) and it lets you save your Dissolves for non-armor equipment for stuff like Eagleclaw boots or utility equipment.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 05:25:18 PM »
I agree that a multi-tiered defense is usually the best bet, but in my mind Acid Ball is a bigger threat than Dissolve for your armors.  It can be spammed from Wizards Tower (or a wand) and always removes at least 1 point, sometimes 2 (which can result in 1 action "removeing" 2 actions of leathers) and it lets you save your Dissolves for non-armor equipment for stuff like Eagleclaw boots or utility equipment.

Corrodes also have plenty of ways to be removed. If you had the unrevealed Rhino Hide or Brace Yourself as a back-up, and Armor +2 with two Corrodes, you can Rust yourself and shift the Rust to an enemy creature. If the +2 comes from one torso piece, simply swap it out. Off the top of my head, there also is Renewing Rain, Renewing Spring, and Wand of Healing that all can remove Corrodes.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 09:21:10 PM »
Swapping chest pieces doesn't work if you have other armor on. Corrodes are just negative armor no matter where the armor is so the only way swapping armor works is getting as many corrodes as you have armor and then swapping pieces.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 10:17:20 PM »
Divine Protection and Eagleclaw Boots are really good vs. a WoT strategy.

Putting on 1 armor is almost never wrong..

Don´t forget to push a WoT guy (like me) back trough his own wall :)

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 10:18:33 PM »
As I noted, you would have only the +2 in this case. I said:

> If the +2 comes from one torso piece, simply swap it out.

Have only +2 in armor on, and have a Brace Yourself hidden, and you are covered in case of attack... and you have the option of swapping while the enchant is hidden.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 09:00:00 AM »
renewing rain removes burns, not corrodes. you must be thinking of rain cloud.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »
Rain cloud... I knew it was one of those weather patterns. Thanks!

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 01:36:39 PM »
One option I would mention is to build your own wall. I once played as a warlord against a beastmaster, when I thought he was trying to use the push+wall, I just built a earth wall + Lv1 creature. If done correctly, it can ruin his day. I tend to use a lot of walls, so if all else fails, you can wall yourself in a corner and summon Lv 1 creatures.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:40:58 PM by Werekingdom »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine