April 28, 2024, 11:30:29 PM

Author Topic: New Expansion ? Is original MW dead?!  (Read 14218 times)

Jedah

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
New Expansion ? Is original MW dead?!
« on: March 31, 2016, 12:53:10 PM »
Hi all,

MW is my favorite board game by far. But lately i've been getting the idea Arcane wonders focus is on Academy for the last 2 years.

I'm yearning for a new expansion. Am I the only one here? Can't seem to find any news or topics about it.

what happened to the illiusionist/shaman etc?  :'(

Best Regards,

Jedah

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: New Expansion ? Is original MW dead?!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 12:55:55 PM »
Paladin vs Siren is in development right now.  I'm hopeful that it delivers some awesome new stuff.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 01:10:33 PM »
Paladin vs Siren is in development right now.  I'm hopeful that it delivers some awesome new stuff.

And "Lost Grimoire v1" is due out around May.  And Battlegrounds Domination came out last year.

I'm definitely looking forward to Paladin vs Siren, alt-Wizard vs alt-Forcemaster, and whatever the next Battlegrounds expansion brings (Archmage?).

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 01:14:17 PM »
Personally, I consider Academy as small expansions / boosters for Arena - so my impression is quite contrary to yours  8)
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 01:16:26 PM »
Personally, I consider Academy as small expansions / boosters for Arena - so my impression is quite contrary to yours  8)

Yep, just came back to edit my above post.  We're using a lot of Academy spells in Arena (Johktari Beastmaster has replaced almost everything in her book, from weapon, cloak, belt, swarmy creatures, Slavorg and Rajah, ...).  And I'm even playing Mana Worms with my Wizard lately.  Can't wait for all the cheap holy creatures that Academy: Priestess will bring to Arena.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 02:08:09 PM »

Yep, just came back to edit my above post.  We're using a lot of Academy spells in Arena (Johktari Beastmaster has replaced almost everything in her book, from weapon, cloak, belt, swarmy creatures, Slavorg and Rajah, ...).  And I'm even playing Mana Worms with my Wizard lately.  Can't wait for all the cheap holy creatures that Academy: Priestess will bring to Arena.

I am waiting with great anticipation as well.

Crow

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 02:53:19 PM »
I find the Academy spells really useful in Arena, and we love Domination.

The release rate is pretty normal for board games.

mager

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »
I think the focus on Acedemy and Battlegrounds were business mistakes. It lost a lot of momentum wrt committed players. More energy and money should have been spent on new mages, and rapidly expanding the player base with events and tournaments.

rant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • p00pstar on Octgn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 05:30:48 PM »
I think the focus on Acedemy and Battlegrounds were business mistakes. It lost a lot of momentum wrt committed players. More energy and money should have been spent on new mages, and rapidly expanding the player base with events and tournaments.

Maybe, maybe not. I know that I'm along for the ride. It's been a lot fun for me to see this game change gears, but still retain its world.  Each expansion has changed the game and made it more rewarding. The release cycle might be long for some (and it bothered me when I first got into the game) but it's allowed me to check out other great board games while I wait for the next expansion. There's already enough released currently that you could play an infinite amount of ways. So I'll eagerily await just to see how great this game is going to become. JMO
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Crow

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 09:19:27 PM »

I have to disagree, especially about Battlegrounds.  It's the main reason the game sees so much play in my group, as we are almost always 3 or 4 players.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 12:10:20 AM »
I just judged a classic Mage Wars tournament in Charlotte NC yesterday. So no it's not dead, going pretty strong here anyway.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 12:42:29 AM »
Hi all,

MW is my favorite board game by far. But lately i've been getting the idea Arcane wonders focus is on Academy for the last 2 years.

I'm yearning for a new expansion. Am I the only one here? Can't seem to find any news or topics about it.

what happened to the illiusionist/shaman etc?  :'(

Best Regards,

Jedah

+1

Jedah

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 01:54:15 AM »
Thank you all for your replies!

I'm really glad to hear their working on a new expansion. I didn't pay much attention to Academy because I like the epicness of the full arena and length and depth of the original game. So when I read it was going to be a sort of "light version" of the game I kind of ignored it and waited for new arena expansions.

What I didn't know is that you can use the cards from Academy in Arena, which sounds very relevent to interest, however, I'm using the spellbook builder/app for a while now, and there is no trace of these cards.

Don't these cards unbalance the game as it is? I like the game so much that it would be a shame if the intire game changed balance because of these cards.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 02:03:41 AM by Jedah »

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 02:00:00 AM »
I have to admit I really like the slow release pace when it comes to Arena.
Having lots of releases feels discouraging to me because everything changes so quickly - probably one of the main things I lost interest into MTG years ago when they introduced the Type2 format and sped up their releases.

In my opinion a slow pace is good for the game but I agree that most of the effort should be put into organizing a tournament structure etc.
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 02:05:31 AM »
I think the focus on Acedemy and Battlegrounds were business mistakes.
Not really. The idea behind these new game modes was/is solid. Unfortunately, for my taste Academy is too different from Arena to serve as a useful introduction. I still have high hopes for Battlegrounds to replace the standard Arena mode, though.

Simply churning out mage after mage without changing anything about the basic (Arena) rules would have done nothing to grow the player base. Very high, and continously increasing complexity due to a fast growing glossary and game length prevent the game from becoming more popular.

I'm not sure if the situation we're currently in is much better, but it was worth a try.

The problem is that the diversification has lead to resources being spread too thin. Arcane Wonders is too small a company to churn out new products for three (closely-related, but still) different game lines at the same time with the same speed as for a single game line.
And commercially it wouldn't have been a good idea to do so, either. Mage Wars is, and probably always will be too niche.