April 29, 2024, 03:17:20 AM

Author Topic: Arcane Ward  (Read 2850 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Arcane Ward
« on: March 16, 2016, 07:52:37 PM »
I just want to make sure... Arcane Ward will also counter your own spells, right? Nullify, for example, specifies the opponent's spells, but Arcane Ward doesn't.

This makes it more likely to be used on an object that you won't want to enchant any more or want to use your own incantations on. Some such likely uses would be on enchantments (Astral Anchor, curses, etc.) and I guess one of your opponent's creatures that you don't want buffed / teleported / etc.

I would presume that it would not go on one of your own creatures, unless you know for certain that you would not ever want to buff it, heal it, etc.

Are there any other considerations on the use of this spell?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Ward
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 05:56:01 AM »
In academy it's very usefull for big creatures. If you summon a sailfin hydra/rajah/slavorg/mama bear... it's really annoying if they cast tangleroot or shrink on it. Hands down I would prefer a ward over a buff. (definitely for a hydra)

If you have buffed a minor creature a lot, it might be good as well. It has already been buffed so you don't need anything more. Another annoying spell for them is exile.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:57:53 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Arcane Ward
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 11:05:52 AM »
I just want to make sure... Arcane Ward will also counter your own spells, right? Nullify, for example, specifies the opponent's spells, but Arcane Ward doesn't.

This makes it more likely to be used on an object that you won't want to enchant any more or want to use your own incantations on. Some such likely uses would be on enchantments (Astral Anchor, curses, etc.) and I guess one of your opponent's creatures that you don't want buffed / teleported / etc.

I would presume that it would not go on one of your own creatures, unless you know for certain that you would not ever want to buff it, heal it, etc.

Are there any other considerations on the use of this spell?

You are correct that it counters even your own spells! Keep in mind you can also place it on objects such as equipment, conjurations, and enchantments. All of that can be useful for either protection or faking out your opponent.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest