April 27, 2024, 01:15:46 AM

Author Topic: Extreme houseruling  (Read 11562 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Extreme houseruling
« on: January 05, 2016, 04:07:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

During some games with my friends we agree on some own written rules. Thought it might be fun sharing them.
First thing I want to make clear that I view this as some kind of "alternative" play, like a lot of Vulcans work, and not a rules discussion.

Also, some of the rules where not invented by our group, but I read on the forum I though it could be nice to implement. (not taking credit)

- [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC04]Makunda[/mwcard]: there are only 2 cats in the game right now (still no academy for me) and one of them has charge and the other one is fast and elusive. Cats are fast and viscous. The canine are slower sturdier and hunt in packs, [mwcard=MW1C29]Redclaw, Alpha Male[/mwcard] being a perfect leader. The cats don't seem to be built to stay in one zone just to get +1 piercing, that's why we allow Makunda's effect to work in the entire arena. He's the king of the jungle! His presence is enough for the arena.

- [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC04]Cerberus[/mwcard]: while cerberus is guarding in a zone with a friendly dark conjuration, he gains the unmovable, triplestrike, intercept and anchored trait

- [mwcard=MW1J06]Gate to Hell[/mwcard]: The attack does not need LOS. walls & obscured does not block the attack. I always imagine the ground heating up when the gate makes the connection to hell.

- [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC09]Giant Wolf Spider[/mwcard]: gains climbing trait. Never actually used this effect in a game, but I just want my spider to be able to climb walls.

- Necromancer trained in the poison subtype

- Forcemaster trained in the wind subtype. (not air)

- Warlords are soldiers: I have never used this in an actual game but Laddinfance mentioned this recently and it got me thinking. Of course some other cards need restrictions like their own command spells, the archers watchtower and the banner, but it would be cool to make the orc a veteran, or use flank attack.

- Veterans also gain ranged +1 for non-spell attacks.

- [mwcard=MW1E02]Block[/mwcard] also blocks unavoidable attacks. It's a huge forceshield? I never got why a surging wave would hit it, but a fireball would be blocked. I completely understand that the wave cannot be avoided by cats/ blocked by a shield, but block seems like it should work. I never had problems using this rule.

- agony only works for the first attack during an attack sequence.

- unstoppable creatures can ignore guards. [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC12]Talos[/mwcard] & [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC10]Sardonyx, Blight of the Living[/mwcard] will not be blocked by filthy bugs!

- dissolve/explode targets the equipment, making nullify useless for protection. Just to make it more streamlined with dispel. This is a big game-changer is some cases, but it doesn't seem broken, just different.

- The [mwcard=DNJ12]Vine Tree[/mwcard] can also cast equipment vine spells + [mwcard=DNQ04]Druid's Leaf Ring[/mwcard] and [mwcard=DNQ06]Mohktari's Branch[/mwcard] gain the vine subtype. I played a few games with them and it was fun to see the [mwcard=DNQ08]Vinewhip Staff[/mwcard] coming out. One of the only few times I saw that.

- [mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard] cannot be used to protect enchantments for [mwcard=FWI01]Destroy Magic[/mwcard] or [mwcard=MW1I21]Purge Magic[/mwcard]. In the same way seeking dispel doesn't allow the enchantment to be revealed just before it gets destroyed. Still works for dispel since ET is not targeted by that.

- zone attacks do not need LOS and can ignore obscured. (Firestorm, the catapult)

- Corrode works different on mages than on creatures. When a mage would receive a corrode marker, it has to place the markers on a piece of equipment (with armor +x value, you cannot exceed x) instead of itself.  This way you can replace the equipment if you want to get rid of the markers. The system is bottom up instead of top down. An extra rule to balance this out: Equipment with corrode markers on it cannot return to the spellbook unless it has the cantrip trait.

I have used this is a couple of games and it didn't seem too strong but I might be mistaken about this. Anyway, we will keep using the rule for a while.

We have also used houserules that were completely broken:

- non-spell ranged attacks cannot target walls
- Wall of thorns has the vine subtype (way too strong for the druid  :P )

This is about it. Maybe I left out some experiments that I forgot to mention.

What do you think about those rules, do you think they could be fun to try out? Which ones seem utter bullshit? And which rules have you tried out at home? Let me know what you think about it.

Especially Vulcan, you have millions of variants. Do you have cool houserules?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:09:00 PM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme houseruling
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »

Can't agree more.

The plague/poison master doesn't get basic training in poison spells. It just doesn't seem right. One could argue he's only a plague master, but when most poison effects are based around disease, I don't really think the argument holds.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:47:29 PM »

Can't agree more.

The plague/poison master doesn't get basic training in poison spells. It just doesn't seem right. One could argue he's only a plague master, but when most poison effects are based around disease, I don't really think the argument holds.

It does actually. Poison gas cloud and the skunk's attack are poison but not disease. It doesn't make sense for necromancer to be trained in all poison spells because not all poison is disease.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Extreme houseruling
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
Hi everyone,

During some games with my friends we agree on some own written rules. Thought it might be fun sharing them.
First thing I want to make clear that I view this as some kind of "alternative" play, like a lot of Vulcans work, and not a rules discussion.

Also, some of the rules where not invented by our group, but I read on the forum I though it could be nice to implement. (not taking credit)

- [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC04]Makunda[/mwcard]: there are only 2 cats in the game right now (still no academy for me) and one of them has charge and the other one is fast and elusive. Cats are fast and viscous. The canine are slower sturdier and hunt in packs, [mwcard=MW1C29]Redclaw, Alpha Male[/mwcard] being a perfect leader. The cats don't seem to be built to stay in one zone just to get +1 piercing, that's why we allow Makunda's effect to work in the entire arena. He's the king of the jungle! His presence is enough for the arena.

- [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC04]Cerberus[/mwcard]: while cerberus is guarding in a zone with a friendly dark conjuration, he gains the unmovable, triplestrike, intercept and anchored trait

- [mwcard=MW1J06]Gate to Hell[/mwcard]: The attack does not need LOS. walls & obscured does not block the attack. I always imagine the ground heating up when the gate makes the connection to hell.

- [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC09]Giant Wolf Spider[/mwcard]: gains climbing trait. Never actually used this effect in a game, but I just want my spider to be able to climb walls.

- Forcemaster trained in the wind subtype. (not air)

- Warlords are soldiers: I have never used this in an actual game but Laddinfance mentioned this recently and it got me thinking. Of course some other cards need restrictions like their own command spells, the archers watchtower and the banner, but it would be cool to make the orc a veteran, or use flank attack.

- Veterans also gain ranged +1 for non-spell attacks.

- [mwcard=MW1E02]Block[/mwcard] also blocks unavoidable attacks. It's a huge forceshield? I never got why a surging wave would hit it, but a fireball would be blocked. I completely understand that the wave cannot be avoided by cats/ blocked by a shield, but block seems like it should work. I never had problems using this rule.

- agony only works for the first attack during an attack sequence.

- unstoppable creatures can ignore guards. [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC12]Talos[/mwcard] & [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC10]Sardonyx, Blight of the Living[/mwcard] will not be blocked by filthy bugs!

- dissolve/explode targets the equipment, making nullify useless for protection. Just to make it more streamlined with dispel. This is a big game-changer is some cases, but it doesn't seem broken, just different.

- The [mwcard=DNJ12]Vine Tree[/mwcard] can also cast equipment vine spells + [mwcard=DNQ04]Druid's Leaf Ring[/mwcard] and [mwcard=DNQ06]Mohktari's Branch[/mwcard] gain the vine subtype. I played a few games with them and it was fun to see the [mwcard=DNQ08]Vinewhip Staff[/mwcard] coming out. One of the only few times I saw that.

- [mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard] cannot be used to protect enchantments for [mwcard=FWI01]Destroy Magic[/mwcard] or [mwcard=MW1I21]Purge Magic[/mwcard]. In the same way seeking dispel doesn't allow the enchantment to be revealed just before it gets destroyed. Still works for dispel since ET is not targeted by that.

- zone attacks do not need LOS and can ignore obscured. (Firestorm, the catapult)

- Corrode works different on mages than on creatures. When a mage would receive a corrode marker, it has to place the markers on a piece of equipment (with armor +x value, you cannot exceed x) instead of itself.  This way you can replace the equipment if you want to get rid of the markers. The system is bottom up instead of top down. An extra rule to balance this out: Equipment with corrode markers on it cannot return to the spellbook unless it has the cantrip trait.

I have used this is a couple of games and it didn't seem too strong but I might be mistaken about this. Anyway, we will keep using the rule for a while.

We have also used houserules that were completely broken:

- non-spell ranged attacks cannot target walls
- Wall of thorns has the vine subtype (way too strong for the druid  :P )

This is about it. Maybe I left out some experiments that I forgot to mention.

What do you think about those rules, do you think they could be fun to try out? Which ones seem utter bullshit? And which rules have you tried out at home? Let me know what you think about it.

Especially Vulcan, you have millions of variants. Do you have cool houserules?

Hmm. My playgroup hasn't gotten past apprentice mode yet.

Some thoughts:

If you make Makunda's eff arena wide he'll be under-costed. You already have tooth and nail for that effect. I would recommend having another custom spell to extend the range of his abilities, or increase his mana cost by maybe 3 or 4.

With that kind of ability Cerberus should probably be level 5 or 6 and cost at least 20 mana? Since he only gets those traits for when he's guarding dark conjurations then it might be ok to leave his mana cost at 20. Or maybe put him at 19 with an upkeep cost of some kind? You'll have to play with it a bit to be sure.

Gate to Hell. Hmm. I'm not sure about that. No ones figured out how to use it right yet even though it's existed for a very long time. Either the real card is overcosted or more likely (IMO) people just don't know how to use it. Pentagram was only figured out very recently and only with the Arraxian Crown Warlock even though that card has been around forever. I suspect giving the gate that extra power will make it undercosted, but until people figure out how to use it right it's hard to say for sure or what to do to rebalance it if that's the case.

That dissolve/explode change isn't just different. It is broken without arcane ward and possibly even with arcane ward. Enchantments have enchanters wardstone and arcane ward to protect them, as well as the ability to bait dispels with other enchantments. But each equipment occupies a different location on the mage's body. Are you going to bait a dissolve with a weaker chest piece before putting on a chitin armor or dragonscale hauberk? All chest pieces currently in the game cost at least as much as chitin armor. You can't bait dissolves like you can bait dispels. This change you made can probably work in theory given the right card support, but right now it's broken because it doesn't have that card support.

Force master trained in wind? Why? There are only 4 wind spells in the game right now. This doesn't do anything but give her a few extra spellbook points in certain spellbooks, which is unnecessary and slightly overpowered while not doing anything interesting to the game.

If warlords are soldiers then I'm thinking that his battle orders should cost maybe 2 or 3 more mana when targeting a Mage.

For those changes to block and agony, should increase the reveal costs. Thinking block might be good with a reveal cost of 3 instead of 2. Maybe give it Mage bind+1? You'll have to play with it. For agony it should cost 2 or 3 more mana to reveal. Remember agony affects ranged attacks too, not just melee. It's not like agony is the direct opposite of bear strength in every way so you shouldn't compare them on the same exact terms.

Say hello to overpowered Sardonyx decks!!!
If you're going to do that, the very least you can do is get rid of his sweeping attack. It probably will be easier to just give all unstoppable creatures elusive and then balance them out individually. Otherwise you're just inviting confusion.

Again, this is undercosted. Increase the mana cost of vine tree if you're going to do this. Or take away the channeling boost it gives to the druid. Also increase level by 1?

The ring and the branch being vines might be possible to balance with the change to the tree if you increased the casting cost of the tree or take away the channeling bonus as described above.

Make enchantment transfusion give back 2 mana when it resolves? Otherwise it might be underpowered for its cost, and destroy magic and purge magic will become a little too powerful.

This change doesn't work. Most zone attacks are range 0-0 or 0-1. Obscured already doesn't affect those spells. But sandstorm and akiro's hammer (the catapult) will become ridiculous.

You've just made corrode conditions on mages really powerful. They are no longer removable by, well, anything. And the inability to replace a corroded equipment without discarding it makes the mage-corrodes even more powerful. Solution might be to give all mages innate armor+1 or something? Not sure, you'll have to play around with it a LOT to get it right.

I generally prefer variant formats or custom cards over house rules in regards to specific card effects. I sometimes would want to house rule, but only when it's really actually necessary.

A quick heads up, some people might be too quick to accuse a card that they don't know how to deal with of being overpowered, or a card that they don't know how to use of being underpowered, and in the process of trying to "fix" things they just break their game. There are of course exceptions to this. I would probably want to house rule goblin builder to be able to repair walls in a no-FiF block format.

Would also want to house rule teleport in 2v2 with the current cardpool, wizards tower in block formats which don't include academy or domination, and Ballista in all current metagames which allow promos. That's about it so far off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:13:22 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 10:23:04 PM »
But then it's close enough for the plague master to get poison immunity? Still doesn't hold up. The necromancer is the mage most able to use the poison cloud because it can never hurt him, and both disease and poison fit for a dark mage. Seeing as the necromancer can already leverage cripple, a non plague specific poison condition, it seems as though the necromancer is based around the use of poison and plagues together. When the necromancer has immunity to an air wizard spell because it's part of his motif, but doesn't get the training in the spell, something seems off.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:37:02 PM by JasonBourneZombie »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Ganpot

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 12:24:38 AM »
I generally avoid house-ruling in most games for the sake of simplicity and convenience, but I have actually house-ruled a couple of cards for Mage Wars.  Some of the rules in the OP make sense thematically (such as allowing spiders to climb), but I personally prefer to house-rule only when I feel that a card is either so abysmally bad that it cannot be salvaged otherwise, or when the issue is clearly something which should have been addressed when the card was initially designed (an oversight, basically).  Here's my current list, with my reasoning:

[mwcard=FWC04]Goblin Builder[/mwcard] - can repair walls which border his zone / reasoning: the devs more or less admitted this was an oversight, but they are apparently busy with other matters and aren't sure when/if they will issue an official errata for the card.  The card could already build walls, so this change is also thematically consistent. 

[mwcard=MW1J06]Gate to Hell[/mwcard] - after opening the gate, it receives a channeling of +3, the spawnpoint trait, and may summon an unlimited amount of creatures per turn (if the Mage can pay for them, of course) / reasoning: If I had to pick the single most unplayable card in the game, I might well pick this one.  It's not just underpowered: the card itself is schizophrenic.  It tries to act as both a massive attack card and a spawnpoint, but those two things don't have an overlapping purpose.  The attack is far more effective later in the game (when the opponent has more creatures out on the board), but spawnpoints are better laid immediately so they can start to generate mana and summon things.  Not to mention that the card costs 24 mana and two full turns, which will severely hinder tempo control and aggression.  These changes allow the Adramelech Warlock to make good use of the card, without making it overpowered.  She needs a way to summon her low-cost imps in an efficient manner, and potentially setting many of the creatures in the arena on fire is just great in general for her. 

[mwcard=FWJ01]Akiro's Hammer[/mwcard] - possesses the indirect attack trait / reasoning: the card was ludicrously easy to shut down without this change, and quite frankly, it's a freaking trebuchet.  There is literally no card in the game that more deserves to have the indirect attack trait.  Firing indirectly is precisely what trebuchets do in REAL LIFE. 

[mwcard=DNJ08]Seedling Pod[/mwcard] - costs 1 mana / reasoning: the card was overcosted and too vulnerable to ever be useful (on top of giving away the future location of your plants).  There was basically no benefit to using the card, which meant there was no benefit in using Samara Tree either.  That in turn made Vine Tree the go-to Druid partner.  Making the card extremely inexpensive means that it is no longer a mana drain, and is instead a trade-off: delay putting down useful plants for 3 turns in exchange for a net gain of 2 mana (instead of the old "trade-off" of delaying and only gaining mana after 3 turns). 

[mwcard=WARLORDABILITYOUTLINE]Warlord Ability Card[/mwcard] - the Veterans ability also grants +1 non-spell ranged.  Instead of giving a token to a soldier unit that kills an enemy creature, whenever an enemy creature dies, the Warlord gets to choose two soldier creatures in that space to gain a token each / reasoning: as printed, the veterans ability is almost without a doubt the worst Mage ability in the game (the only other ability even in contention is Wounded Prey, which I have given serious thought to also house-ruling).  Without an errata, there is zero reason to play the Orc Warlord over the Dwarf Warlord.  The reason for granting +1 ranged is that the warlord shouldn't be penalized for using his ranged units (including the awesome Goblin Alchemist).   Giving out more than 1 token at a time without allowing stacking encourages unit spam, which is precisely what the Orc Warlord was supposed to be good at in the first place. 

[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard] - possesses the epic trait / reasoning: the card is simply too powerful to be able to re-summon.  This is also more of an informal house-rule (I build pretty much all of the decks for my group, and simply never include more than 1 copy of the card in any deck).  This change doesn't outright diminish the card's power in any way, but forces the Wizard to actually defend it if he wants to keep using it.

Huh... that's actually more than I remembered changing, but whatever.  I consider those to be pretty conservative edits (with the possible exception of the Warlord).  The Goblin Builder and Wizard's Tower changes basically just fix oversights, and the Akiro's Hammer change just prevents players from cheesing it.  The three remaining changes fix (IMHO) broken cards as simply as possible. 

Gate to Hell. ...Either the real card is overcosted or more likely (IMO) people just don't know how to use it.
Considering it's been out since the first release and almost everyone seems to think the card is nearly useless or in need of a change, I'm gonna go ahead and say that there simply is no way to use it correctly.  It's not even necessarily about cost: the card just tries to do too many unrelated things that don't synergize well.  It would actually be far more useful to have one card that only gave all demons +1 melee, one card that only performed the massive attack, and one card that only acted like a spawnpoint (even for a higher total cost).  Then a Warlock player could use each card when it made sense to do so. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:31:26 AM by Ganpot »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 08:03:31 AM »

[mwcard=FWC04]Goblin Builder[/mwcard] - can repair walls which border his zone / reasoning: the devs more or less admitted this was an oversight, but they are apparently busy with other matters and aren't sure when/if they will issue an official errata for the card.  The card could already build walls, so this change is also thematically consistent. 

I'm pretty sure the most recent version ("Arena" FvsW) was updated to say this in the card text - and picked up a rather unfortunate typo along the way.

[mwcard=FWJ01]Akiro's Hammer[/mwcard] - possesses the indirect attack trait / reasoning: the card was ludicrously easy to shut down without this change, and quite frankly, it's a freaking trebuchet.  There is literally no card in the game that more deserves to have the indirect attack trait.  Firing indirectly is precisely what trebuchets do in REAL LIFE. 

While I generally agree with you, my opponent surprised me with a Hammer recently. He cast it to counter my Galaxxus, then opening quick-cast his own Wall of Spears  in front of it at the beginning of the next round. Not only was I unable to block LoS at range 1, but the wall I'd planned to cast was now a dead card in my hand!  "Well played, sir!"

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 09:18:27 AM »
That sounds way too Intangible for me :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 12:29:34 PM »
Wow, there are many rulings out there!
Although I would agree with many of them we keep to standart ruling including supplement and errata. Starting with houserules would totally confuse rare and precious players... Also I guess playing them too often would confuse me myself and I'd start thinking in those rules and make some bad mistakes  8)

Anyway,
- I totally agree with climbing spiders.
- I think dissolving arround nullify would be overpowered.
- Cheap seedling pods seem fair.
- I don't see any urgance to give equipment the vine trait - still it seems fun
- Gate to hell is a tough card and yes it could work like this. But also as mentioned the card is contraproductive. Not sure about the card neither about the houserule.
- makunda seems interesting. hard to tell if it is a good rule without testing.
- cerberus seems overpowered after change

Last: I would love to see a change on mountain gorilla. Do you have an idea how to make him a good choice?

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 12:57:15 PM »
- I don't see any urgance to give equipment the vine trait - still it seems fun

Was to combo with the vine tree. It's def. not necessary and maybe a bit too strong. But it's fun to try out, since the druid equipment mostly never comes out because I don't have the actions. :)

Some thoughts:
If you make Makunda's eff arena wide he'll be under-costed. You already have tooth and nail for that effect. I would recommend having another custom spell to extend the range of his abilities, or increase his mana cost by maybe 3 or 4.
Tooth and nail is for every animal, Makunda only for cats. Right now, there aren't many cats and neither of those is made to stay in 1 zone.

Force master trained in wind? Why? There are only 4 wind spells in the game right now. This doesn't do anything but give her a few extra spellbook points in certain spellbooks, which is unnecessary and slightly overpowered while not doing anything interesting to the game.

Well, this one was not my idea. It was a friend of mine that wanted a reason to actually ever use the wind spells and I agreed.  ::)

If warlords are soldiers then I'm thinking that his battle orders should cost maybe 2 or 3 more mana when targeting a Mage.

That's a very good idea!  :D "pay 2 extra mana if you want the command to affect your mage"

For those changes to block and agony, should increase the reveal costs. Thinking block might be good with a reveal cost of 3 instead of 2. Maybe give it Mage bind+1? You'll have to play with it. For agony it should cost 2 or 3 more mana to reveal. Remember agony affects ranged attacks too, not just melee. It's not like agony is the direct opposite of bear strength in every way so you shouldn't compare them on the same exact terms.

Agony has been made weaker, not stronger, so it shouldn't be more expensive.
Block is slightly stronger, but it didn't feel unfair. It might be when actually played competitive, but these houserules aren't used in that context.

Say hello to overpowered Sardonyx decks!!!
If you're going to do that, the very least you can do is get rid of his sweeping attack. It probably will be easier to just give all unstoppable creatures elusive and then balance them out individually. Otherwise you're just inviting confusion.

Really? you think it would be overpowered? Right now, if you're not able to attack the mage fast enough because of a guard, you just lose life very fast. Also, it's sooo incredibly hard to get Talos out. If you ever get him out you are probably behind in the race.

This change doesn't work. Most zone attacks are range 0-0 or 0-1. Obscured already doesn't affect those spells. But sandstorm and akiro's hammer (the catapult) will become ridiculous.

With this rule you can do a firestorm over a wall. ;) Also, only the 3 dice attack could shoot over walls, not the 8 dice attack.

You've just made corrode conditions on mages really powerful. They are no longer removable by, well, anything. And the inability to replace a corroded equipment without discarding it makes the mage-corrodes even more powerful. Solution might be to give all mages innate armor+1 or something? Not sure, you'll have to play around with it a LOT to get it right.

Corrodes are actually weaker with this rule. Since you can REPLACE the corroded equipment. Now you need to reduce your armor to 0 before corrode markers disappear. To balance this out the armor goed to the discard and not back to the book when replaced.

A quick heads up, some people might be too quick to accuse a card that they don't know how to deal with of being overpowered, or a card that they don't know how to use of being underpowered, and in the process of trying to "fix" things they just break their game. There are of course exceptions to this. I would probably want to house rule goblin builder to be able to repair walls in a no-FiF block format.

These aren't meant to be fixes because it's broken. just some changes we tried out.

@Ganpot, cool seedling pod rule!

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »
Coming back to the Gorilla. Better a houserule on the rage-mechanic than on the guerrilla. If there are good ideas around they could easier be fixed later by introducing new cards like a temple of rage or an incantation that powers up all raging creatures in the arena.
That poor unused gorilla makes me sad.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 02:35:25 PM »
Cool idea for a houserule!

How about, The gorrilla gains only rage tokens when attacked by an effect controlled by the enemy (making rage worse) BUT, it will not be removed when healed.

--> guard with it a few times to draw fire, heal it afterwards.

What do you think?

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 02:14:28 AM »
I dunknow, tis the 'by the enemy' part I think that makes Rage a difficult effect to make work - now beating up on your own team of gorilla's to enrage them before unleashing a swarm of 7 dice monsters on my foe... that sounds like fun (they could even beat themselves up!).

How about, The gorrilla gains only rage tokens when attacked by an effect controlled by the enemy (making rage worse) BUT, it will not be removed when healed.

What do you think?

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 06:17:41 AM »
That is hilarious. A group of gorillas hitting each other to get furious. Lol! Akiros Hammer could also buff them.  Or a poison gas cloud. Or even plagued. I figured out plagued is a good card against sleep also when used right.

Making rage not disappearing
I dunknow, tis the 'by the enemy' part I think that makes Rage a difficult effect to make work - now beating up on your own team of gorilla's to enrage them before unleashing a swarm of 7 dice monsters on my foe... that sounds like fun (they could even beat themselves up!).

What do you think?

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 06:25:49 AM »
So, how do you see this happening?  :P

Turn 1: 19 Ring of beasts + [mwcard=MW1C25]Mountain Gorilla[/mwcard] 2
Turn 2: 11 Enchantment + run&beat you gorilla    9
Turn 3: 18 Gorilla + enchant. + beat gorilla with other gorilla 1

So, basically, you spend 3 turns summoning them, and in the meanwhile you beat them up. sounds like a plan!  8)

oh, and you only have 1 gorilla in the core set.

Maybe you could add 2 rage tokens each time you receive damage and remove 1 token each time you heal? (without being able to add tokens due to friendly damage)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:30:33 AM by Halewijn »