April 23, 2024, 01:15:03 AM

Author Topic: Questions about wizards/Arcane school  (Read 9370 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Questions about wizards/Arcane school
« on: February 14, 2017, 07:30:07 PM »
Why is it that the gods of the Arcane school are clearly based on the attributes of system 1 and system 2 of the human brain?

System 2= slow deliberative methodical thought
System 1= fast intuitive emotional thought
Shouldn't that be a mind school thing?

Also, why is the wizard portrayed as the "logic and reason!" and the "SCIENCE!" Mage? Zoology and animal ecology are sciences too but they should be a bm's area of expertise not a wizard's.  Same thing for botany and druids, and for pathology and necromancers.

Logic and reason are purely mental skills, they should be a mind school thing, right up the Forcemaster's alley.

And the anvil throne Warlord already is plenty of useful tech, gadgets and machines.

So what does that leave the wizard and Arcane school with?

Not a specialty in SCIENCE! in general. Nor in logic and reason/rationality. What it leaves them with is Physics. Or rather, etheria's equivalent of it. And just like in real life, physicists are often quite smart, but not all of them are rational, and some of them say and do ridiculous stupid and irrational things when they're outside the lab. Hence sortilege's dumb and irrational system of government. I mean really, since when does having better skill with magic mean one has better skill in governing, or that their interests align with the governed? It seems like they value competence in magic so much that they expect magical skill to be *magically* transferable to an arbitrary completely unrelated discipline, such as running a country. Magic-physicists might not always be rational, but most of them should not be that stupid. They should know the limits of their expertise.

Then again, maybe there is a strong custom where a sortilegan citizen who beats the incumbent chooses a wiser and more competent leader to be their regent? Otherwise this is a crazy system which makes sortilegans look like dumb strawmen for rationality, like Spock from Star Trek.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:34:46 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about wizards/Arcane school
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 03:13:28 PM »
Just in case it wasn't clear, this post was fan speculation combined with asking for clarification, it was NOT an official lore post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about wizards/Arcane school
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 01:51:48 PM »
ב"ה
I think the mind school is more about psychology than logic.

About the leadership of sortilege, probably the leader actually spend most of his time on arcane studies and have ministers that know what their doing. Sort of like the supreme commander of USA army is the president, who usually have no knowledge or experience in battlefield strategy, but the ones that actually run the army are the generals.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Questions about wizards/Arcane school
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »
ב"ה
I think the mind school is more about psychology than logic.

About the leadership of sortilege, probably the leader actually spend most of his time on arcane studies and have ministers that know what their doing. Sort of like the supreme commander of USA army is the president, who usually have no knowledge or experience in battlefield strategy, but the ones that actually run the army are the generals.

You do realize that logic is purely a mental skill right? "Logical" is a word we use to describe thoughts and ideas that make sense, and "logic" is the word we use to describe the reasoning process that generates such thoughts and ideas.

That comparison to US government would make sense if the president or whoever leads Sortilege really was just a figurehead. However, the US president definitely is not just a figurehead. Don't know about whoever's in charge of Sortilege though.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:41:47 PM by Sailor Vulcan »