April 28, 2024, 10:53:05 PM

Author Topic: Timing issues with Cascading force wave and traps  (Read 2591 times)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Timing issues with Cascading force wave and traps
« on: November 16, 2015, 02:30:31 PM »
Can somebody break down Cascading Force Wave effect when there is a teleport trap in play.

Can somebody break down Cascading Force Wave effect when there is a spiked pit in play.

Can somebody break down Cascading Force Wave effect when the pushed creature dies to either a trap or something like caltrops mangler.

How about force hold and enchantments with similar effect. When can these be revealed? if there is a trap involved that rolls for damage i could see it possible that force hold could be revealed between steps in the attack sequence.

Cascading force wave can potentially be a nice opener when both summones few bigs.
push your creature into the zone and push his big hitter on guard out. If he is near a wall you can also wall bash it instead to make sure he doesnt have block or the devasting reverse attack on it before you land that full action attack from grizzly.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Timing issues with Cascading force wave and traps
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 02:56:47 PM »
move creature, resolve trap, move next creature.

Can somebody break down Cascading Force Wave effect when there is a teleport trap in play.

Move creature, teleport that creature, move next creature. The creature must be standing in the zone were the creature was moved, not were the creature was teleported to.

Can somebody break down Cascading Force Wave effect when there is a spiked pit in play.

Can somebody break down Cascading Force Wave effect when the pushed creature dies to either a trap or something like caltrops mangler.

When the first creature dies it would not affect the continuation of the cascading force push. (nor the spiked pit)

How about force hold and enchantments with similar effect. When can these be revealed? if there is a trap involved that rolls for damage i could see it possible that force hold could be revealed between steps in the attack sequence.

You can reveal when the push is cast on that creature thus the creature will not move. I'm not entirely sure about this, maybe you could push another creature from that same starting zone or the push stops... I think the first.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 07:25:27 AM »
[mwcard=MWBG1I01]Cascading Force Wave[/mwcard] will push another creature if the previous creature was pushed to a new zone. The key here is remembering the steps of movement. Declare move, pay costs, leave zone effects, walls, move, and enter zone effects. As long as you get to steep five, move, you will be able to do another push. If something prevents that from happening, there will not be any other pushes. You do have to fully resolve all the steps of the move though before doing the next move.

So, for any traps, you would move into the new zone, triggering another push but not yet resolving it, then resolve enter zone effects, resolving all of the traps, then go back and resolve the extra push you triggered. If the creature dies to an enter zone effect, it does not change the fact that another push was triggered and the extra push would still be resolved. If you stop the push before it gets to step five, move, such as with a force hold, then it will prevent both that push and any others from being generated. If you stop the push after it moves, then there will still be another push allowed.

Force hold and other enchantments can be revealed between any steps of the movement as well as any steps from an attack that may be generated by the movement.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 12:48:05 PM »
i was overthinking it, but its crystal clear now.

thanks.