March 29, 2024, 03:29:54 AM

Author Topic: Wall of Poison Gas vs Veteran's Belt  (Read 6796 times)

Fausto

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Wall of Poison Gas vs Veteran's Belt
« on: October 30, 2015, 11:26:15 AM »
If someone pass through the wall of poison gas, and has a veteran's belt, can the mage change the critical damage?

I mean, the attack of the wall is critical regardless of the result, can the mage change that damage with the veteran's belt?
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Wall of Poison Gas vs Veteran's Belt
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:54:08 AM »
If someone pass through the wall of poison gas, and has a veteran's belt, can the mage change the critical damage?

I mean, the attack of the wall is critical regardless of the result, can the mage change that damage with the veteran's belt?

I think so.

Critical Damage means that all damage rolled is treated as critical. This would happen during Roll Dice (though it doesn't state this explicitly in the rules; it seems like a reasonable interpretation since critical damage applies to the results of the dice). Veteran's Belt triggers at the end of the roll dice step, after normal/critical damage has been determined.

Fausto

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 12:00:20 PM »
Thanks, In OCTGN doesn't work like that. It just happened yesterday, the wall attacked a mage with the V-belt and didn't calculate the critical. where can I notify that?
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:07:05 PM »
Thanks, In OCTGN doesn't work like that. It just happened yesterday, the wall attacked a mage with the V-belt and didn't calculate the critical. where can I notify that?

As an OCTGN dev, I will raise an issue immediately. You may consider the bug reported (though the fix will probably not be given until the next release, which will be a while).

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
That was a pretty good question I hadn't thought of. Thank you for bringing it up.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »
If the card says direct damage instead of critical damage then the veteran belt may not work. I believe this nuance was in a past post.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 08:34:42 PM »
If the card says direct damage instead of critical damage then the veteran belt may not work. I believe this nuance was in a past post.
The card has attack with critical damage trait (just like Oscuda or Psylok). I checked latest rules, codex and supplement and there's no definition of critical damage attack trait, only critical damage game term is explained. Depending on phase in which the trait is supposed to be taken into consideration Veteran's Belt may be useless against such attacks.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 10:22:45 PM »

I don't think its a nuance, its a totally different game concept.  The veteran belt can't change direct damage at all, it operates on critical damage which is combat damage that bypasses armor.  I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure most direct damage is applied during upkeep. 

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 06:39:36 AM »

I don't think its a nuance, its a totally different game concept.  The veteran belt can't change direct damage at all, it operates on critical damage which is combat damage that bypasses armor.  I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure most direct damage is applied during upkeep.
Agreed. Different concept but both bypass armor. The combat dice only have two forms of damage so the nuance I was thinking about was recognizing the direct damage concept as different than critical damage since both bypass armor.

Note - I confirmed the wording on Poison Gas Cloud applies "direct poison damage" so Veteran Belt won't work in this case.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 07:49:26 AM »
Just in case anyone was confused as I was, there are two cards under discussion here, Wall of Poison Gas and Poison Gas Cloud. The first is a promo, the second is from the core set.

Wall of Poison Gas makes a critical attack, and Vet Belt works on it. Poison Gas Cloud does direct damage, and does not interact with Vet Belt.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »
Just in case anyone was confused as I was, there are two cards under discussion here, Wall of Poison Gas and Poison Gas Cloud. The first is a promo, the second is from the core set.

Wall of Poison Gas makes a critical attack, and Vet Belt works on it. Poison Gas Cloud does direct damage, and does not interact with Vet Belt.

Ah yes, thanks...reading properly does make everything make a lot more sense :-)

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 04:54:36 AM »
Wall of Poison Gas makes a critical attack, and Vet Belt works on it.
We don't know if the belt will work, because we don't know when Critical damage attack trait is taken into account. [mwcard=DNQ07]Veteran's Belt[/mwcard] specifically mentions Roll Dice Step, while Critical Damage attack trait is undefined. We need a definition first to make any ruling.
(Also if both effects work at the end of Roll Dice Step then there's timing issue and now it's not important, because mage is a creature with an owner, but when there will be card with similar effect to the belt, that may affect Sslaks for example, then player with initiative will decide order of effects)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 06:42:35 AM »
@Kaarin
I think you are trying to ask when the damage from the wall gets converted to critical damage, and that question is a bit misleading methinks. The wall doesn't convert normal damage into critical damage. All damage it rolls is critical. You can basically consider every number on the die to have a starburst around it and are then all treated equally. There's no more conversion needed for the regular numbers than there is for a regular critical. They're all the same.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 08:08:31 AM »

Ah yes, thanks...reading properly does make everything make a lot more sense :-)

Good catch!

My bad. I don't have the promo and referenced the wrong card.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 12:35:47 PM »
@Kaarin
I think you are trying to ask when the damage from the wall gets converted to critical damage, and that question is a bit misleading methinks. The wall doesn't convert normal damage into critical damage. All damage it rolls is critical. You can basically consider every number on the die to have a starburst around it and are then all treated equally. There's no more conversion needed for the regular numbers than there is for a regular critical. They're all the same.
Where did You get this definition from?
I'm asking in which step critical damage attack trait is taken into account.