March 29, 2024, 04:03:45 AM

Author Topic: Want to join organized play in columbus OH if it exists and if i wasn't banned.  (Read 4389 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
I have searched for organized play in my area for a very long time, and never found it. I've tried to start it and no one would join. I thought for a long time that it simply didn't exist here, but I have been told that there are ambassadors here and there are a lot of people here who play Mage Wars. I'm sorry for asking this for the thousandth time, but if I've been unofficially banned from organized play in my area for some reason, just say that and I will stop asking. Right now I am very confused by the contradictory evidence and anecdotes I've gotten from different people. Either people play mage wars in this area or they don't. Either we have organized play here or we don't. One person told me that I was unofficially banned from organized play in my area because I was too negative and was a jack*** on these forums. Many other people have told me the opposite. I have no idea what is going on here, as a result of that I don't know what to do about it. If I was banned from organized play in my area, then I should just stop looking for or trying to start organized play here, but if organized play does not yet exist in my area, then I should keep trying to get it started. I have no idea which of these scenarios is true, and so I have no way to know which course of action I should take.

Does organized play exist in Columbus Ohio? If so, was I banned from it? No one is obligated to tell me, but I really would like to know. I really do love this game and this community, so I don't want to abandon organized play in my area if I haven't actually been banned from it or if it doesn't actually exist yet.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:45:35 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

BigL16

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Hi Sailor,
I've read several of your posts on this subject and really feel for you.  I know what it's like not to be able to get a game you love to the table.

I am curious though, did you not mention previously that you had found at least one group that played regularly, but you were not able to get there easily by bus?  That could explain the discrepancy.  Again, I could be misremembering but I unfortunately don't have time to search through the forums to check.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Hi Sailor,
I've read several of your posts on this subject and really feel for you.  I know what it's like not to be able to get a game you love to the table.

I am curious though, did you not mention previously that you had found at least one group that played regularly, but you were not able to get there easily by bus?  That could explain the discrepancy.  Again, I could be misremembering but I unfortunately don't have time to search through the forums to check.

My playgroup is entirely made of beginners who I taught how to play. All but one of them live an hour away, and the one who is nearer is rarely able to leave his house. One of them lives nearer to me during the semester but he's extremely shy and gets really frustrated when he loses, so it's better if he plays against other beginners first rather than me. Additionally, while they do like the game, I don't think they like it anywhere near as much as I do. It gives my friends and I something to do together though. My friends and I don't have many if any other common interests, mostly just common experiences and compatible personalities.

As for the local game stores, I have never seen any news about organized play in my area nor have I ever seen anyone else playing Mage wars here except at Origins. One of the store managers at the Guard Tower said he plays Mage Wars I think, but it seemed that he couldn't point me to where or when I could meet other people in the local Mage Wars community, although I vaguely remember him saying either that he'd seen other people playing it there or that there were other people in the area who play it.

I'm probably going to start taking uber.

There's no public Facebook or meetup group for the local Mage Wars community except the one I started that has only a couple of members from my playgroup plus my sister who never has time to play anymore and also lives too far away.

I've posted about this many times on Facebook and I got exactly no responses for any of them. Not a single one. It really seems like people are either just ignoring me or there is no local Mage Wars community in my area. I've tried reaching out many times and got absolutely zero responses. I haven't exactly been inconspicuous about it. If there is a local Mage Wars community in my area, then they have done a pretty good job of keeping me in the dark about it.

One person who doesn't live in my area told me that it is personal and that the community does exist and just doesn't want to include me. I am skeptical of this however because it is second or third hand information from someone who disliked me so much that they tried to drive me away from the game altogether. They also claimed that my presence on the forums specifically was hindering its growth, or at least making many players in his local community decide not to join the forums. However, the claim that I myself am personally hindering the growth of the forums is a testable hypothesis. So I sought independent confirmation or falsification of that hypotheses. If it was true, that would mean that Arcane Wonders would be losing profits over it. I asked Laddinfance if that was the case, and he assured me that I was not noticeably hindering the growth of the forums in any way. However I only have his word for it, and he didn't back up the claim with as much specific examples as the other person did.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:11:52 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Well, there could (I emphasize COULD) be a new (re)addition to the Columbus Mage Wars community next summer in the form of a particular shark. However, it's not 100% yet so I'm tempering any expectations. If I do end up back home, then you can bet I'll be starting a regular Mage Wars night at one of the gaming stores around. I haven't researched which would be best yet because I don't know for sure that I'll be back, but I'm thinking Fog of Dusk or Guard Tower as good locations to start.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Why don't you start your own group? Just teach some friends. I'm sure some of them will like it.  :)

During this month I had 3 friends coming over (none of them ever play board games) and they saw the games lying there. They became interested and wanted to play after they all had a game 2 of them really loved it and for the other one it was a bit too intense for his taste. (I did give them +3 channeling to make it more fun to battle me)

Right now, both of them often ask me to play but I don't have the time. :P
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Why don't you start your own group? Just teach some friends. I'm sure some of them will like it.  :)

During this month I had 3 friends coming over (none of them ever play board games) and they saw the games lying there. They became interested and wanted to play after they all had a game 2 of them really loved it and for the other one it was a bit too intense for his taste. (I did give them +3 channeling to make it more fun to battle me)

Right now, both of them often ask me to play but I don't have the time. :P

I've tried to do that. I don't have many offline friends. Like I said, my entire playgroup is made of people who I taught how to play myself, none of them like the game anywhere near as much as I do, all of them live too far away or are often unavailable to play for some other reason. And since they're all beginners, most of the time I just have them playing against each other.