April 23, 2024, 08:38:04 PM

Author Topic: About Holy Attack Spells...  (Read 14442 times)

Nareus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
About Holy Attack Spells...
« on: October 12, 2015, 08:23:02 AM »
Light spells are almost useless for any mage who's not a priest or priestess, I get that they're cheap, but if you compare pillar of light and arc lightning, you pay the same cost, but arc lightning seems to be far better, it has a higher chance to stun, does more damage, and is unavoidable. I would really like to see some good light attack spells when the Paladin comes around. Thanks for listening ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Evil is not necessary for good to exist. However, good is necessary for evil to exist, as all that is evil is a corruption of that which is good.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: About Holy Attack Spells...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »
I want the Paladin's Sword to be able to generate mana and cast bound holy attack spells when it hits something.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Nareus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:21:39 AM »
I want the Paladin's Sword to be able to generate mana and cast bound holy attack spells when it hits something.

Would it attack whoever the sword attacked or would it be able to target a separate creature?
Evil is not necessary for good to exist. However, good is necessary for evil to exist, as all that is evil is a corruption of that which is good.

Nareus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 11:23:31 AM »
I suspect that we'll get some good light attack spells when the paladin comes out. And I think that his sword will have the counterstrike trait.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:28:15 AM »
The spell would hit whoever he hit with the sword in much the same way as [mwcard=FWQ09]Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard] works now.

I think he should have a sword that does critical damage to non-living creatures.  Then he would have to chose between which sword to use.

Nareus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 06:00:49 PM »
The spell would hit whoever he hit with the sword in much the same way as [mwcard=FWQ09]Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard] works now.

I think he should have a sword that does critical damage to non-living creatures.  Then he would have to chose between which sword to use.
personally I would go for the light attack spell one every time(unless I'm fighting a Necromancer, and maybe even then). It just seems like an additional 2 dice is worth more than a chance you might do critical damage.

Nareus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »
What do you think a powerful holy attack spell would be?

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »
Arc Lightning is range 0-1. Pillar of Light is range 0-2. Arc Lightning has to land a 7+ on the effect die to leave any effect at all. Pillar of Light just needs a 4+. Arc Lightning has unavoidable, pillar of light gets +2 vs nonliving creatures.

I would say those two spells are pretty even. Pillar of Light is more multipurpose. Dazes can either be used to lower enemy defense rolls, or make them less likely to land a successful attack on you, and the +2 vs nonliving makes them excellent burst damage against undead. And since they can be cast from a greater distance, it gives you the option to either cast it close up or farther away.

Of course, it's probably not going to be used by non-holy mages anytime soon. I suppose a wizard could put one on a wizard's tower, since that would be useful for picking off enemy undead, and having a chance to daze or stun things that are more than one zone away.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 08:30:59 PM »
Sunfire Burst - Range 0-1: 6-7 Daze, 8+ Daze + Burn, Ethereal, Unavoidable, +2 vs. Nonliving is about as good as it gets at the moment.

I have been agitating to get some better Holy attack spells myself.  ;D

My issue with Holy attack spells, is with attack dice, at 2 it makes these really pale in comparison to other same cost (or lesser cost) Attack Spells, for 4 mana I get 5 attack dice with Hurl Rock! I have 3 Sunfire Bursts in most of my Priests books but always use the Hurl Rock/Fireball/Flameblast/Surging Wave first as the action that I use to cast an Attack Spell is very valuable and 2 dice almost never makes it worth while. The rare occasion I am up against "nonliving" they are ok, but still one less attack die than Hurl Rock.

So what I would like to see is a Holy Attack spell that rolls more than 2 attack dice, with a 0-2 range, a smaller daze / daze + (stun or burn) chance is fine with me. I need to put some HoeLee Schidt damage on the target down range when I cast it, less focus on placing conditions.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 03:32:34 AM »
I don't think the holy school "needs" good attack spells. I like the fact that every school has its own flavor. Attack spells is not the strong side of the holy school and the current attack spells have their uses.

Def. for a priest with the dawnbreaker ring and his ability, those spells are decent.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 04:21:16 AM »
right now holy attacks give you that daze/stun. But if you really want to get a daze surging wave is better and rolls more dice also. I would also find it nice to have just cheaper attacks with few dice and effects. So holy mustn't be like earth attacks, but have a more unique part.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 04:49:56 AM »
Not saying anyone but the priest(ess) should use it. With the ring the dice are the same, the daze chance is almost the same. (slam but yeah...) and a small chance for stun. As an extra, +2 for nonliving and ethereal. So it's very good vs whirling spirits and necro's.

It's not the most versatile spell, but it has it's uses.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 04:50:20 AM »
Sunfire Burst compared to Arc Lightning is a pretty nice match up actually. They both deal an average of 3 damage to an unarmored target, with Sunfire Burst doing better than Arc Lightning against armor. Sunfire Burst also has a better Daze chance and +2 vs non-living targets, but lacks the chance to Stun. They're pretty even.

When you throw in the Priest's Malakai's Fire ability, bumping the average damage of Sunfire Burst up to 5.5 against unarmored targets for an extra one mana investment, then it's no contest at all.

Pillar of Light does seem to lag behind though. It is 1 less damage on average and lacks the unavoidable trait and all it really has going for it is an increased Daze chance and increased range. Not really impressive.

I would personally be very happy just to see Sunfire Burst be printed, but I think I would also like to see a level 2 non-zone light attack spell. Something that is supposed to be the equivalent of a Lightning Bolt or Fireball would be cool.

Maybe something like:
8 Mana, Quickcast, 0-2 range, targets Creature or Conjuration
4 attack dice, 5-6 Daze, 7+ Daze and Burn, Ethereal, +2 vs non-living

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 05:12:24 AM »
I'd say there should be an enchantment, that makes holy attack spells always hit with critical damage. They would hurt heavy armored targets as well as resilient ones.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 06:41:08 AM »

I'd say there should be an enchantment, that makes holy attack spells always hit with critical damage. They would hurt heavy armored targets as well as resilient ones.

Yeah that would be great. The +2 vs nonliving would be much more useful if you didn't have to deal with infinite armor too. And it would definitely make up for the lower attack power.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.