April 29, 2024, 04:07:14 PM

Author Topic: Community Card Construction - Making a level 4 Nightmare Creature  (Read 51499 times)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
Re: Community Card Construction - Making a level 4 Nightmare Creature
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2015, 12:18:43 AM »
How could something been Incorporeal and Resilient at the same time thematically vise?

a very sticky fog?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2015, 12:28:37 AM »
A thing is sure, the game need more Incorporeal creatures.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2015, 12:44:00 AM »
Ability -> Sweet Dreams: Mana cost X, Range 0-2, Put a Sleep condition marker on target. Mana cost is Target Level + 3 mana.
Attack-> Tainted Nightmares: Range 0-2, 0 damage dice, effect die 7+: Tainted

When you make the above attack, add 6 to the effect die if the target has a Sleep condition marker.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2015, 01:01:56 AM »
Ability -> Sweet Dreams: Mana cost X, Range 0-2, Put a Sleep condition marker on target. Mana cost is Target Level + 3 mana.

When you make the above attack, add 6 to the effect die if the target has a Sleep condition marker.
This is a very interesting and a really cool mechanic, however much like the argument against Psychic Immunity, the same creatures in question also have Poison Immunity.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2015, 03:14:32 AM »
How could something been Incorporeal and Resilient at the same time thematically vise?

a very sticky fog?

Marvel Comics' The Vision comes to mind.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2015, 06:50:46 AM »

They are cool!
What about this for an idea:
Since its seems like force abilities are in favour in here compared to psychic, maybe it should have one of each.

Attack -> Explosion from within: Range 0-0, X damage dice. Where X is [put what ever you like here; like X is equal the number of lumbering/psychic imunity creatures in the zone, or 2x(Sleep + Tainted markers), or the Terror effect described above]

Attack 2-> Tainted Nightmares: Range 0-2, 0 damage dice, effect die 7+: Tainted or Sleep
When you make the above attack, add 6 to the effect die if the target has a Sleep condition marker and don't remove the sleep marker. To add sleep marker pay level +3.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:32:13 PM by fas723 »

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2015, 06:55:03 AM »
I'm watching all the ideas floating around, and I'm thinkn' I might make a few of them this week to show you just what I'm thinkn' about.

Aaron,
When you do this is it possible you make "real" cards then? Like how they would look if they were printed.  I'm thinking like you did with the DawnBreaker's Choosen, but with added example pictures of how you view each one. For future polls that would be nessessary I think.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:46:06 AM by fas723 »

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2015, 07:00:06 AM »
Sorry for clogging the thread with posts (but I really like the community part of this). [Here I would like to add the smiley which refers to us who don't like to add smileys into the conversation]

Now when it is set to be a level 4 creature, wouldn't it be nice to make one with low mana cost and low health?  It would go well with a incorporeal nightmare.

Mana: 8
Health: 3

Cantrip, Incorporeal, Flying, nice attacks.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:30:39 AM by fas723 »

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2015, 09:45:31 AM »
Now when it is set to be a level 4 creature, wouldn't it be nice to make one with low mana cost and low health?  It would go well with a incorporeal nightmare.

One Zap (or any other ethereal attack) and it's gone. You'll be down on actions and mana.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2015, 09:49:14 AM »

One Zap (or any other ethereal attack) and it's gone. You'll be down on actions and mana.

Make it 6 mana and 4 health then. You get the concept. If it is adopted it needs to be tuned.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:16:37 PM by fas723 »

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2015, 12:25:58 PM »
8-10 mana and 6 health seems reasonable - posted by someone earlier in the thread.  6 health is only 1 good attack (if ethereal).  8-10 mana is about 1 turn, longer if its casting sleep from the mages pool.

I prefer the teleport to sleeping creatures for the nightmare creature than flying, a bit like the blue gremlin but no distance limits.  But would need a way to lay down sleep if its to be any use.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2015, 05:44:47 PM »
8-10 mana and 6 health seems reasonable - posted by someone earlier in the thread.  6 health is only 1 good attack (if ethereal).  8-10 mana is about 1 turn, longer if its casting sleep from the mages pool.

I prefer the teleport to sleeping creatures for the nightmare creature than flying, a bit like the blue gremlin but no distance limits.  But would need a way to lay down sleep if its to be any use.

A level 4 creature shouldn't be too easy to kill. Otherwise it will never make it into a spellbook. Too many other options for the spell points.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2015, 05:49:12 PM »
I'm watching all the ideas floating around, and I'm thinkn' I might make a few of them this week to show you just what I'm thinkn' about.

Aaron,
When you do this is it possible you make "real" cards then? Like how they would look if they were printed.  I'm thinking like you did with the DawnBreaker's Choosen, but with added example pictures of how you view each one. For future polls that would be nessessary I think.

That is my plan. I've just been working on some more pressing design things over the last week. I'm hoping to pull a couple cards together this week and we can start narrowing our focus.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2015, 12:17:13 AM »
But balance that against the cantrip trait which does give it some legs it wouldn't otherwise have...

A level 4 creature shouldn't be too easy to kill. Otherwise it will never make it into a spellbook. Too many other options for the spell points.

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2015, 01:08:55 AM »
But balance that against the cantrip trait which does give it some legs it wouldn't otherwise have...

Exactly! And it is what makes it so interesting.
If it also lack Legendary you could potentially have two or three in play. However it can not be OP.

To me I don't see an issue with such low health that it will have a chance to die by one ethereal strike. Let's face it, how often do you see ethereal blows? And if it is not, well then it won't die (most likely not even by two regular hits).

As said before. If we take this path, the mana health ratio needs to be tuned.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:10:29 AM by fas723 »